Monday 13 November 2017

Making memories

It's early Monday evening of a long weekend, and I'm exhausted.  It's been a busy weekend and to be honest, I'm ready for the short work week ahead (I have requested vacation for the upcoming Friday...three day week, hooray!).

On Friday, I had planned to meet with my financial advisor but she was storm-stayed in a small town a couple hours out of Regina.  She sent me an e-mail that morning to let me know.  D was working her part-time job and had arranged for J to take care of Eli which meant I had much of the day to myself.  So what did I do?  I went Christmas shopping of course!  It may be more than six weeks away but with between 4-6 inches of snow on the ground it seems closer than that.  

I managed to cross a number of gifts off my list; my brother and sister-in-law, my niece, my friend N, some stuff for D and C, and my staff.  I always buy small gifts for my team, nothing major but usually something fun.  This year I found challenging puzzles and some fun Christmas coasters.  I'll tuck them into a bag with a bit of chocolate and a couple of homemade cookies.  I tend to purchase gifts throughout the year and this is true this year as well. I already bought something for my nephew.  For both he and his sister, I also bought Chapter's gift cards.  They both love to read and this way, even if the rest of the gift is a bust I know they'll get something they like!

For Eli, I had bought a Fisher Price house with little people last spring. It's tucked away in the basement, ready to be wrapped.  I suspect he'll appreciate the wrapping paper more than anything.  His mom has been buying items as well - I'd say she's gone overboard - but since this is his first Christmas he won't remember anyway.  Remaining on the list are my adult children though I've picked up a few practical items; pj's, toiletries, and socks.  They'll also get gift cards - that's become a tradition too - because I don't share the same tastes in clothing.  Again, this way they get something they need or want.  

We're going to start decorating in a week or so, as D wants to make up fridge magnets with Eli in his elf pajamas with Sheldon and his reindeer collar and head gear.  We'll see whether either of them will cooperate...I'm not entirely hopeful.  That reminds me, I need to buy hooks for the ceiling and fishing line...this is one year I'm not going to trust that the tree won't be knocked over...either by a rambunctious kitten or mobile baby.

Speaking of Eli, he continues to learn something new it seems every week.  A week ago, he wasn't able to pull himself to a sitting position from his tummy or back, this week he can do both with ease.

He's also army crawling like a champ, though has managed a couple of movements forward on his hands and knees.  Sometimes his movements get him into a predicament, as it did in the photo.  He had crawled under his bouncer, then sat up.  At least there was room for him, as he often gets caught in the legs of the stool behind him and needs to be rescued.

This week also brought two more teeth - he now has both top and bottom front teeth, and we think there may be more to follow soon.  Poor baby is drooling lots, chewing on everything he can get in his mouth (even the odd cat toy...which sends mom and G'ma into spasms), and gets quite fussy at times.

He's been eating some solid foods for awhile now, mostly arrowroot cookies, or cereal puffs.  He's also had scrambled eggs and toast.  This morning's face is brought to you, courtesy of peanut butter toast.  No allergy here, thank goodness.  (He's had peanut butter in small amounts for a couple of months.)

Although some of the toast didn't make it into his tummy, he made good work on his slice of toast.  And then he had some of his cheerios, or rather, he and Sheldon had some cheerios.  I've never seen such a cat for eating cereal, bread or cookies...he loves the all!

Speaking of cats, Saku seems to be have come to terms with Eli.  Of course, Eli has yet to pull his ear or his tail so things have remained calm.  But I'll often find Saku stretched out on the play mat while Eli plays.  

This photo makes me laugh, Saku is such a big cat!  He's definitely dropped a pound or two since Sheldon came to live with us.  That kitten keeps him running and wrestling.

The rest of the weekend saw me stay close to home.  Saturday, D was away with Eli, so I pulled all the furniture away from the walls in the living room, vacuumed and scrubbed the floor.  It is pretty amazing how far cheerios can be tossed (Eli) or chased (Sheldon).  Add in the cat fur balls that collect behind and under furniture and it was much needed.  I must admit, I tend not to move the bigger pieces of furniture, the desk, the china cabinet and such as frequently as I should.  

Sunday was the Eastern and Western CFL semi-finals.  Our littlest Rider fan, Eli got his gear on, and joined G'ma in cheering on the Riders.  AND it worked, we won the Eastern semi-final.  Yes, I know Saskatchewan is in Western Canada...it doesn't entirely make sense to me but we got a cross-over spot and are playing in the east.  Next weekend is the final in Toronto. If (fingers crossed) we win that, we're off to the Grey Cup in Ottawa.  One way or another!

Off topic, do you see the cords on the back of the chair?  I've had to be creative as young Eli thinks cords are the greatest thing, ever!  Bring on the Christmas wrapping paper, maybe he'll leave the cords alone?

Well, this is getting lengthy, so I'll end off with this photo from Friday. D was packing the car, so I got Eli ready to go to J's.  He's wearing his winter snowsuit that Mommy bought for him, and the cap and mitts that G'ma made for him.



I'm very pleased with they way the cap turned out.  This was my second effort - the first time I didn't trust the pattern and it just didn't work.  I think, the idiot string for his mitts is a bit too long, but he won't be losing them!  That blue just brings out the color of his eyes.

I'm taking care of him this evening as well, as D is working from 6-10.  He went down for a nap about just under an hour ago.  I thought I'd best get to this post - he sure keeps me hopping when he's awake.  Hence the exhaustion....but oh the sweet memories we're making.

Have a wonderful week everyone!  

1 comment:

  1. Finding Christmas gifts already, eh? I'm impressed. I always leave it too late. I seem to know fewer people every year, so I suppose that helps. Yes, Eli is certainly moving along with learning; it's interesting how babies manage to learn things without seeming to try - though that isn't the case, really. But one moment they can't do it, the next, they are oh so casual about it. I think that is one of the things that makes parents see their children growing too fast: 'when did he learn to do that?' Half of what they do for the first time may not even be noticed, no matter how attentive the adult. Now, if only we didn't notice when we started not being able to do things years later.

    That snowsuit, mittens and cap are wonderful. I agree, the cap is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!