Sunday 29 September 2019

Catching up

First off, a word of thanks to all who have sent e-mails or left messages of condolences on the passing of my cousin Deb.  Your words of comfort are appreciated.  

Another busy week is nearly in the books - it just amazes me sometimes how quickly the time passes.  The last year I worked seemed to drag, in just over 2 months I'll have been off work for a full year.  

After a full day on Monday, I spent Tuesday doing the chores I normally would have done the previous day along with my regular chores in order to get the house ready for another showing.  We're had no feedback on that visit.  The following I headed out to visit D and Eli.  His father J is visiting as well, and while I was there I took some photos of the three of them.  I prefer candid versus posed shots and had ample opportunity to capture some fun photos.  

We went, first, to the indoor playground.  There is so much to do there, toys to play with equipment to play on, and that morning a music program.  Eli was less than cooperative for the music portion, but had fun none-the-less.  He's holding a piece of foam to his mother's face so she can look through it too.

I've chosen not to share photos with his parent's faces clearly shown.  I know D wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure J would agree.  
 He and J built several towers of the foam pieces, and as I would have expected, after each tower was built, Eli knocked them down.  This time it was the dinosaur who did it! 

The playground is located in an old school that was closed several years ago.  The community has done a wonderful job of converting it to commercial and non-profit space.  There is an art gallery, a thrift shop, the indoor playground, and more.  J obtained permission from the staff to play the piano in the old gym while he's there so that's where we went next.

After a bit of music, the two of them ran around the gym running off some energy.  It's clear Eli is really enjoying his time with his dad.

J flew him around like an airplane, and the laughter from Eli was a joy to hear.

After a brief stop at home for a quick bite of lunch we played some more out in the yard before Eli demanded that we go to the "pawk".  We had the whole place to ourselves, it was a bit cool and windy, but that didn't stop the little guy from having fun.  

This is one of my favorite photos from the day.  His dad was pushing him on the swing and he was giggling so happily.  

It was a fun morning, despite the fact that J is not one of my favorite people.  However, the visit is going well and most importantly Eli is truly enjoying the time with both of his parents.  J has completed a number of minor repairs in the house, and D has been able to get housework done while J entertains his son.  Fingers crossed the good times continue.

My friend K picked me up for lunch on Thursday.  We drove out to a restaurant in a small bedroom community as she had a coupon we could use.  We each had a burger, a beverage, and shared an order of fries, for $20.  Definitely a good bargain!  We had a wonderful conversation, talking about travel plans, discussed the failure of the house to sell, and many more topics.  We never run out of things to talk about and it was after 2 when she dropped me off at home.  There was a showing that morning as well, and again no feedback. 

Friday was a relatively quiet day....I was ready for one.  I did do a little more Christmas shopping.  I'll have to check my list but I believe I'm down to my nephew and I'll pick up a gift card one of these days.  I was thinking I might start wrapping next week to get it done and put away.  I went out for dinner with my friend C.  She is doing a little better but having a tough time at the moment facing some "firsts" in this new chapter of her life.  Not only is she doing all of the fall cleanup in the yard (which is very large), but she's planning to go south at the end of this week to their timeshare.  She's left her return open so if it is too much for her and she decides to return early she can.  

It was my turn to get yard work done on Saturday, but not until after an early morning showing.  The e-mails I got said they were only in the house for two minutes, but based on lights on/off and closet and bedroom doors opened/closed, I suspect they were in the house much longer than that.  However, I've resigned myself to the conclusion that the house isn't going to sell during this listing.  I've done some serious thinking and decided that I'll find another agent later in October before I consider listing again.  As nice as Curtis is, I don't believe he's given the showing agents good information about the property and its condition.  Thus, we've had a lot of people through but not the sort of folks that would truly interested.  

Saturday was a triple header football day, so it meant the yard work had to get done in between the showing and the first game.  I put away all the decorative garden items, solar lights, and the front patio furniture.  I also pulled all the tender annuals, impatience, coleus, ivy, and bacopa because the forecast was for frost and snow overnight.  Yes, you read that right....snow.  That four letter word!  I've left out some geraniums and mums because they're reasonably hardy and should provide a little colour until mid-October.  Unless, of course, this first snowfall ends up hanging around.  I cut back some of the perennials but left most because I know the rabbits will be looking for a food source and they'll do the work for me. 

This morning, I woke up to a cloudy, wet day but thus far no snow, thankfully.  I'll definitely be spending the day indoors - I have several television programs I've PVR'd to watch, a knitting project started, and I'm planning to make stew for dinner.  Fingers crossed, no one wants to see the house because I'm not in the mood for it.  

Have a great day everyone!

P.S.  The Riders won!  We've clinched a spot in the playoffs. 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Mae, I didn't comment on your last post... but did read it about the passing of your cousin. It got me to thinking how much I will hate that... any of my cousins passing. We are all up there in age and since there are no parents alive and my siblings have all gone, cousins would be next. These are the only ones you still share your childhood memories with. I will miss that. So... sorry about Deb's passing. But I'm so glad you had a good trip down memory lane with your brother. I miss my brother so much. So enjoy any time with yours that you can. And love your pics! You mentioned "snow" - how strange when we're still in the 90's here in Texas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another busy week for you! I'm sorry you're still not getting an offer on the house, but perhaps a change of agents will do it. Sometimes it's necessary!

    I love that pic of Eli on the swing, he's obviously so happy and having so much fun. I'm glad he's able to have a good relationship with his dad, and I hope that will continue as he gets older.

    Take care and have a snow-free week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A busy and full week. It's a good thing you're retired; you'd never have time for all you need to do otherwise. Like me (if I ever retired), you have plenty to do with your 'free' time. But really, ten months retired already?

    I think you are right to change house-agents. He can't be miffed about it, either, as he hasn't been successful, and that is his fault. I hope a new one will serve you better.

    And that's an adorable picture of Eli; definitely one for the photo albums.

    And finally: snow! We're having a real blizzrd here in southern Alberta. Two days, and it's still snowing and blowing. The saving grace is that it is not very cold, just below freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Eli is totally the most adorable boy ever! Seriously, he looks precious. Well, he IS precious. Love seeing the family playing together. Make me glad to see whenever I do...parents and children having a great time while the child plays. I am glad you are getting another agent This is ridiculous. Are these things contracts? I was still married last time we sold a house, and he handled it. So, I don't know. Come to think of it, we were still overseas and it sold. We put it in the hands of an agent of course. Still think of that home in FL. It was our first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did have a busy week. Me, well things are moving along, except for getting projects done of course. I think I try to get more done than I can actually manage.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have convinced me that selling a house is a horrid experience. I too believe a different realtor might be able to vet the prospective buyers better and not having you go through all the motions for a likely no sale.
    Eli did look like he was having the best day ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!