Saturday 12 October 2019

Looking forward

The snow we got on Wednesday was pretty much gone by Thursday morning though it was still cold.  In fact, the temperature when I got up at 7 a.m. was -6C (21F).  Brrr!!!  Time to book my appointment to have the tires on the car changed over to winter tires.  It used to be that my local Kal Tire did not take appointments and one had to arrive early in the morning and hope to make the list. They opened at 7 a.m. and it wasn't unusual to see a line up outside the door.  An appointment is so much more civilized!

It did get above freezing in the afternoon so I spent about a half hour outdoors removing the last of the annuals from the containers, tucking the containers out of the way, and emptying and putting away the bird bath. It was full of ice!  I had stopped and picked up bird feed in a large bag earlier in the week, so I transferred that to a container and filled the bird feeder.  I also put out the suet feeder.  I suspect they'll find the feed soon as the natural sources will be disappearing due to the frost and cold. 

Friday morning was even colder, with an early morning temperature of -9C (16F).  I hope this weather doesn't last, the forecast is for more normal temperatures in 10 days or so.  I'll miss a few of those days, thankfully.  

I'm packed and ready to go to Vegas!  Just a few last minute items to toss in (chargers for phone and Fitbit, moisturizer, etc.).  I had thought I might be able to manage with a carry-on but I've decided to take my camera which takes up half the carry-on so I'll be paying for a checked bag.  And if I decide at the last minute not to take my camera, I'll have room for my winnings (ha!) or any shopping I might do.  We will be going to the M&M shop and the outlet malls for sure.  I likely won't be able to stop myself from bringing something back.  Actually we're unlikely to do much gambling - I'll probably toss a few dollars, less than $20, into a machine and see where it takes me.  The last time I was in Vegas, I did that and walked away with $60.  At least until I spent it at the mall.  Hopefully I'll do as well on this trip.  

My friend S flew out of Inuvik on Wednesday with the plan to fly to Winnipeg on Friday to spend part of the weekend with family there at a resort.  Unfortunately those plans had to be cancelled because there was a ugly storm brewing with freezing rain, snow, and wind.  Those are the vagaries of fall in the prairie provinces. First it's autumn, then winter, back to summer, and then autumn again...or maybe straight into winter. You can bet I checked the forecast for Sunday and Monday for Edmonton.  It's looking just fine so I'm not worried about flying out.

This week, I'm putzing around with some leftover yarn from earlier projects.  This will be pillow cover and I'm pretty sure I have just enough yarn to make a second one.  For the back of the pillow, I'm going to use leftover fabric from Eli's Superman costume.  It isn't quite as red as the red in the pillow cover but should work fine.  The pillow forms cost $10 a piece, so with a little time and some leftovers I'll have new Christmas pillows for the couch.  

I'm also crocheting Christmas ornaments....because I'm need more than project at a time. :p  Years ago, I made snowflake ornaments for my tree and in my clearing up last winter I found the pattern book again.  I'm hoping I can get enough done to use them with gift tags for family and friends.  If not, they're small and I'll tuck them away for next year.  The thread I'm using this time is much finer than what I used years ago, so I'm finding them a little more difficult.  Just started the second one, a different pattern, and finding it a bit easier, but in any event, my eyesight is not what it once was so I can't work on them as long.

Friday evening, I went for dinner with my friend C.  She's just returned from her trip to California.  It wasn't easy with all the memories but I think she did enjoy some of it.  She shared a few photos from the air show, the Safari park, and the Zoo.  Looked great to me, and someday I hope I get a chance to visit.


As the week went on I had thought (and frankly had hoped) there would be no showings this week, but I got a call for a showing on Saturday afternoon. In and out in 15 minutes so I'm doubtful there will be any further communication.  Unfortunately the house down the street that was put on the market recently, I believe an estate sale, has sold for a price $35K under what I'm asking.  That does not bode well for me.  

I had talked to my agent last weekend about doing a price drop for this week, but he delayed sending me the paperwork so I left the price where it was and will be allowing the current listing to lapse next Wednesday.  Once I'm back, I'll start the process of looking for a new agent and that will determine when I will list again.  I've pretty much decided I'll wait until January or February, so that we get through Christmas and New Year's without the hassle.  

I definitely want to ensure that it's not on the market, one way or another, by early June.  I have the U.K. cruise booked and I am so looking forward to it.  My travel agent alerted me to a seat sale on WestJet this weekend, so I was able to get airfare of $1080 return!  For perspective, five years ago, on our TransAtlantic cruise, I paid $650 for airfare to return to Calgary from London, and another $150 for the return flight to Regina.  So a very good price!  

Since I'm flying out on Sunday to Edmonton to meet S, my adult children and I won't be getting together.  D and Eli are at home - she told me they're having Thanksgiving pizza tonight. :)  C and I will have grilled "mom" burgers, probably the last of the season.  It's pretty cool out there to grill. 

To all my Canadian readers,  Happy Thanksgiving!  Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend wherever you are.  










  

9 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    I know you will make the best decision about your house and when to re-list. With the holidays being so close I would definitely wait until late winter of the new year. Of course late winter is pretty blooming early here.
    Have a great time in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wise, to have Thanksgiving now! Ours is way too late. This is Harvest Time. This is the time, to be grateful, for "The Harvest." -smile-

    Thank you for noticing and mentioning my new Header. I like Halloween, but know, many people are "scared to death," of it. -smile- This was a "Halloween Lite" Header. ,-))))

    Have a lovely time!

    Do you really need to bring a big camera? Do you really want to spend your vacation, looking through a camera lens? -smile-

    If you want to snap a few shots, just use your cell phone. They take marvelous photos these days. And just enjoy _your_ time away. Just my view. And I put it into practice, when we were in Europe.

    🍂🍁🎃🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful time in Vegas and win enough to go on at least a small spending spree. Take pictures for us to see also.
    It will have to be great to get away from the showings. That sounds so tedious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful, fun and safe trip to Vegas. Hey, if you win a big jackpot the house won't matter. LOL. (Kidding!)

    As for the winter weather you've had, and (parts of) Manitoba is dealing with--you'll probably all have spring in February, while we have winter until June 2020!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful trip to Vegas - I am sure it will be fun. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy Thanksgiving, and I loved reading what all is going on, and your plans. And that crochet work is so gorgeous. I never learned to knit or crochet. I'm awfully good at book learning' but I got left behind the door on hand work learnin'. Seriously. No one has had the patience to stand over me and repeatedly show me how. I don't blame them. But I can embroider up a storm. I like all but cross stitch. Just don't care for the look of it but I can do its of course. Crewel too. That house may be meant for you only. Sure seems like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving a bit late. Our sons were home and we had a wonderful visit.

    Still cold here in southeastern Saskatchewan, but it has warmed up a bit (we managed to reach 10 C today).

    Enjoy your trip to Vegas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your Thanksgiving was marvellous. I wouldn't worry too much about the house selling down the street. The heirs probably wanted to get rid of it quick and dropped the price unrealistically. Such bargains are one in a million, I imagine. Your price is undoubtedly what people will expect and be willing to pay. We just have to wish for people who know a good house when they see one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!