Friday 5 June 2020

The wind blows and blows and blows

I just turned around and poof it was Friday!  I generally start my post mid-week and post on Saturday but this week, and I'm not sure why,  time got away from me so.

This week our weather turned to warm temps but with wicked winds.  When the weatherman describes the winds in terms of how far your garbage bin will blow you know there will be no gentle breezes.  Actually we had a calm day on Friday, thankfully but the wind and rain are forecast for Saturday.  

Despite the winds I spent as much time outdoors as I could.  It was cool-ish in the mornings with temps ranging from 8-10C (46-50F) so I would get my housework and food prep out of the way before heading outdoors.  Monday, was laundry, vacuuming and grocery day.  Tuesday I put together potato and fruit salads to go with grilled burgers that evening. I had cleaned some extra potatoes so baked these in the microwave.  The following morning, I used those to make up a small batch of loaded potato soup, with sour cream, cheese, and bacon, oh my!  I also made up another batch of homemade burgers for the freezer, baked a banana loaf, and marinated chicken for dinner.  Thursday was leftover night, and on Friday since it wasn't terribly warm in the house, I prepared a homemade pizza.  I don't know if I've mentioned this, but being retired and with the pandemic on top of it, I've sure done a lot more cooking.  Putting meals together used to be a weekend chore and we'd simply manage on leftovers or sandwiches the rest of the week.  

I only managed one decent walk this week, though somehow I still managed to get in 7-10K steps most days.  On Friday, I headed out around 10 and got in just over 2 miles in 45 minutes, even with a few stops to take photos with my phone. I was pleased with my efforts, though it pales in comparison to my brother R.  He ran 43 miles in support of Scleroderma research on behalf of a friend and co-worker's wife who is dealing with this disease right now.  He finished the run just around 6:30 p.m. - after nearly 12 hours or running/walking.  I love the guy but he's nuts.
I still haven't made it as far as I've walked in past years but my stamina is increasing.
I'm not certain what this bird is, perhaps some sort of heron or egret maybe.  It had it's wings extended when I first saw it, but it wouldn't budge while I was watching it.  I'll send the photo off to my brother as I'm sure he'll be able to identify it.

Best of all this week, I had a visit with my friend K.  A real face-to-face visit, while we social distanced on the deck.  Phone calls are good, but a real visit is better!  I've not visited in person with anyone beyond my family in several weeks.  It was so nice, though windy, to sit out on the deck and chat about all sorts of topics.  One of our topics was travel, and the likelihood that there won't be any trips for either of us until at least 2022. At this point in time, I'm okay with that as I'm enjoying spending time in my back yard while the weather is nice.  I know darn well, come winter weather I'll be anxious to get away but until there is a vaccine it makes better sense to stay put.

Outside I got busy cleaning up the pine cones and pine needles under the large tree in back.  By the time I finished on Wednesday, I'd picked up two large black garbage bags, and four small white bags.  On Friday, I started digging up some of the gravel and moving it over under the tree.  I'm using a screen to sieve out the smaller stuff to leave where it is for now.  This is a project that will take me several weeks to finish (if I ever do).  I know that when the landscapers come in next year, they'll dig it up so perhaps I get some of it out of the way before then.  I also spent an hour or so washing the exterior windows.  I'm not particularly good at this, as I almost always end up with some streaks...but the rain today should help with those, right?  No matter, the windows are much cleaner now.

I woke up this morning to overcast skies and by mid-morning the rain was coming down hard. The radar showed a half dozen thunderstorms within 100 km. (60 miles) and I heard lots of rumbles for an hour or so.  I'd take it as we need the rain, it's been very dry this spring. Unfortunately it didn't last and all we got was a lot more wind.  It was a quiet day, I had a bit of headache in the morning, so decided to curl up in bed and watch a couple of old curling games (pun not intended).  I watched the Gold medal final from 2010 and the semi-final of the 1997 Olympic curling trials.  Both games featured Kevin Martin, though with different teams.  They won the gold and the semi-final - which I already knew. What made it more interesting was the difference in the quality of the video - no HD in 1997!  And the advertisements, oh my.  

Tomorrow we're supposed to get more rain and possibly some sun. I'll probably just putter around the house, maybe bake a batch of buns.  Funny, how the week flew by but the weekend is not.  Hope you're all well.  Have a good week ahead!




6 comments:

  1. Your brother is amazing by tackling those 43 miles. Kind of a double marathon. That wind sounds serious if it shuffles garbage cans. It can make walking tough. Glad you can happily watch the older matches. I just can't watch an old baseball game. I want it to be happening now.
    I'm like you. Week days fly by but weekends drag. Guess it is because we use to be able to do stuff on the weekends and looked forward to them. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of blowing here as well. It seems to have calmed down since late this afternoon though. Lots of damage last night with sheds being blown down, fences down, tree branches broken off, and roofs in a few buildings damaged as well. We both need some time with no wind.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been incredibly busy baking and cooking lovely sounding meals. Puts mine to shame! That potato soup sounds wonderful. Might have to get your recipe. :)
    Isn't it great to have beautiful outdoor weather? It seems real finicky this spring so we learn how to enjoy them when they come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had a lot of wind here, but for southern Alberta, that's not unusual. We've also had quite a bit of rain, which should have come earlier than this, but the time of seasons seems compressed, or elongated, or something. Things are weird, meteorologically speaking. After the rain, we've had wind, which dried all the rain before it had time to do the ground any good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE are getting blowing winds most of the time these past several weeks. Love the pictures. Your brother has my real admiration!!~! And the cause is great. They need all the help they can generate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!