Saturday 6 August 2022

A rollercoaster of a week

I'll start by saying that all's well that ends well. Mostly.

A few weeks ago I had a call from the Breast Cancer screening center that the radiologist had noted something irregular in my mammogram results so I needed to have more detailed testing completed. The appointment was originally set for the beginning of September, but a cancellation meant I was able to get into the imaging center this past Tuesday. I've had to do this once before, in that case it was another mammogram and I was done. This time, however, I was subjected to another mammogram on my left side and an ultrasound. To be honest, I wasn't too concerned initially but the ultrasound tech took, what I felt, was a lot of time taking pictures and swirling her wand around. (I did tell her if she saw anything kicking or found a heart beat I was out of there.)

Of course the results aren't immediate, so I went home not knowing if there was anything to be worried about, so I worried just in case. I had made an appointment with my doctor for Friday morning to get the results. This is when my level of anxiety ramped up. When he did eventually arrive in the examination room, his first words, "what brings you in today?" Really, it was your office that made the appointment with the imaging center... I explained I was there for the results of the mammogram and ultrasound. He played around on his computer, reading the report and said (and I kid you not), "Well, it's most likely nothing. They want to follow up in six months. You'll have to call our office so we can make the referral." I think I asked him a question but I was just shocked...most likely....what the heck does that mean? He provided no additional information so I got up and walked out. What a waste of time that appointment was.

Later in the day, I signed into my health records online. This is what the report said:

FINDINGS:

Cone compression views of the breast demonstrate dispersal of fibroglandular tissue.  Ultrasound reveals no solid or cystic lesions.

IMPRESSION:

No mammographic nor sonographic evidence malignancy.  Presumably the findings were on the basis of normal fibroglandular tissue.  Suggest left breast mammogram and 6 months time.
After reading this for myself, my anxiety level went to zero. I don't understand why the doctor didn't just read the information to me, and instead gave me the impression that there was still some possibility of an issue. I should note, the document I found in my records wouldn't have been released until my doctor had seen me. If only finding a new family doctor wasn't so difficult...sigh.
Meanwhile I had been preoccupied for much of the week, so I haven't accomplished a whole lot. Even some regular housework was not completed. I did spend a fair amount of time on the couch catching up on PVR'ed television or baseball and football. I finished the back portion of my tank top, and started the front. A crocheted baby blanket is done, except for sewing in the threads, and a scarf using up small ball of yarn is on the needles. 
We had wacky weather too, we reached a high of 32C (90F) one day, but this morning it was a mere 8C (46F). There were a few storms and we got a wee bit of rain, but worse was the winds that blew through yesterday. I had propped my poor tomatoes up against the shed, and they were again beaten up by the wind. At least two of the larger stems are laying flat on the deck!  One of my bird ornaments was knocked off it's perch on the shed wall and landed on another ornament that normally sits on the deck and both were broken. In the front yard the welcome sign took a tumble too. Clearly, I must find a stake for it. Thankfully, there was no damage to the trees, no branches down, just a few more pine cones to pick up.
On Thursday morning, I got out for a walk so I have some photos to share. (With the weather being so variable I've been walking indoors instead).
On the way through the park I spotted this hare sunning itself. A little further along, there was a grackle in the grass that just sat and watched me pass by. I don't know if it was injured or simply resting. Quite the stink eye I got!

Over at the creek, I spotted this family of ducks. I suspect they are the same family I saw a few weeks ago - at that time there were 10 ducklings. The creek is very low, and there weren't many ducks (and no geese). The city has finally mowed the area on the west side of the creek, and the grasshoppers were thick.
At the pond, I was hoping to see the pelicans but they weren't around. The wildflowers are starting to go to seed and the pond itself has a lot of scum. Its really quite stinky!

The water level must be low too as the nest of the red-necked Grebes has moved (or been moved) from the spot it was earlier int he year. I assume she is still nesting because I didn't see any young birds. 
Today, is another day of baseball, football, knitting, and some neglected housework. Those bathrooms don't clean themselves, do they?  It's a good day to stay indoors, since it is cloudy and overcast. Now I just need to get moving.
Have a great week ahead everyone!

16 comments:

  1. That was most unprofessional of the doctor. He didn't even know why you were there! That may not have been his fault, as they often aren't told; nonetheless, he should have expressed more concern, and empathy. Yes, unfortunately, once one has a doctor these days, one must often keep him as no one else will be available. I'm pleased everything turned out to be much less worrying. It's too bad you had to learn that from a computer, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known for some time that he isn't the most personable of doctors, but this particular interaction was definitely was the worst.

      Delete
  2. Some Doctors are of no help at all. I understand your worry as I have been through that a few times. STILL it is so much unnecessary stress. I would like a self cleaning bathroom too! Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really ought to have a radiologist who can read the scans at the site so we don't have to wait for the news, good or bad. But I suppose that wouldn't be appreciated by the doctors.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry you went through that. I had the same result many years back (dense muscle they called it) and it sure called for some anxious moments until the result came back.
    Hope your plants are ok after the wind. I always love your pictures.
    Have a lovely and stress free weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time for a new doctor. The way you were treated is unacceptable. I would be lodging a complaint.

    I'm sorry you were treated this way and so grateful you have a good result!

    I am fibrocystic and had my baseline at age 33 d/t lumpy bumpy tissue. I go to a facility with 3D imaging only. They never send me to ultrasound whereas the non-digital do. 2h she spent scaring the crap out of me. Fortunately that location has a radiologist on site who came to speak to me when the tech went to get her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would appreciate finding a new doctor, but it is so difficult these days. Not enough doctors and most aren't taking new patients, so until this guy retires or moves, I'm pretty much stuck with him. Thankfully, I only see him once a year or so.

      Delete
  5. Good news about the mammogram! Some doctors don’t realize the anxiety they create in their patients!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am sorry you went through that. Been there a couple of times myself. The last time, I ended up calling the nurse and bawling on the phone because no one there had let me know what the results of the second mammogram and the ultrasound were. I was a wreck. I remember crying with relief in front of our then newly-hired assistant director. Luckily he was/is very understanding and compassionate, far more so than the medical professionals. But doctors are in such short supply here that I cannot find another one.

    Anyway, I hope you don't have a repeat of your experience the next time you go. ❤️

    P. S. Please send some cooler weather, because it's too hot and muggy here to be outside picture-taking. 🥵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Kim, that's awful. I was informed by the clinic to contact my doctor's office and make an appointment to get the results. Why they can't contact the patient when the results arrive at their office I have no idea. I wanted a phone appointment but was told I had to attend the office. It's all very frustrating. I, too, hope your next appointment doesn't end up as dreadful as the last.
      I'll try to send the cooler weather your way...:)

      Delete
  7. Think I would be doctor shopping. Thank goodness you could access your reports. I do that all the time also and have caught something the doctor ignored.
    That was quite a temperature drop you had. We would love that just to get out of the hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just recently got the access to our medical records, and I had to sign up in order to get my copy of my vax records for travel. Otherwise, I might not have bothered with the registration. I'm glad I did now.
      Oh my, I can't imagine living in temps of 100F for any length of time!

      Delete
  8. that doctor needs a talking to!! If it was his wife, he'd want more information! Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. I'm definitely much less concerned now.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!