Saturday 26 November 2022

Preparing for Christmas

D and I took Eli downtown for the street fair last Saturday evening. Our first stop was City Hall where the mayor said a few words, the wreath was lit up, and Santa made a quick visit to hand out candy canes. 

The was a choir too, singing Christmas carols and a small but appreciative crowd. We wandered down the street towards the street hockey. The local Junior A hockey team were out in their jerseys playing a pick-up game against some young kids. Everyone was having a lot of fun.

But before we reached the hockey, we came across a Nativity scene one of the local churches had set up. Two of Eli's friends were dressed up, one as an angel, the other as a shepherd. He was happy to see them, but was even more excited to see the young sheep. He tried to entice them to eat the straw he held out, but they were more intent on the stuff on the ground. No matter, they still got close enough that he was able to give them a pat or two.

We stopped too, at a fire pit that was set up by the firefighters in the street to warm our hands. Then we went to watch the street hockey, and the ball they were using as a puck bounced right near us. I gave the ball to Eli and told him to toss it back on the rink. He seemed to enjoy that, and chased the next couple of balls that came our way.

Although the stores were open, neither D nor I felt like shopping. Instead we headed for the bakery to pick up some treats to have at home. Eli had his regular chocolate dip donut, while D and I chose the gingerbread donuts. I ate half of it when we got back to the house, and oh my, was it good! 

After another restless night, I headed for home just after breakfast. Traffic was light, as I had hoped, and the roads were clear. After I had things put away, I lay down on the couch for a rest and watched a bit of NFL football before the Grey Cup. The championship game was a good one, neither team dominated, and the final outcome wasn't sure until the last 45 seconds of game. The team I was cheering for won...that's always makes a game more enjoyable too.

The rest of my week has been relatively busy (notice I did not say quiet). I got the Christmas decorations up from the basement and set up the tree. I also spent some time in my craft room, sorting and reorganizing. I sent a photo to my daughter saying, "I'm not allowed to buy any more yarn." I have a variety of yarns, with multiple skeins of each, as well as a container that has odds and ends of one or less skeins. It's going to take some time to use it all up.  

I did get a bag of scarves and mitts dropped off at a local charity. There are a half dozen or so scarves and a few toques and mitts ready to go but I'll take those over when I finish a few more. There was a quick trip to Value Village too where I found a jigsaw puzzle with a winter scene on it. AND I didn't buy any more yarn. :)

At stitch and chat I worked on the angels, finishing the third and starting the fourth. There were just two of us again this week. I'm guessing the one lady won't attend again until her friend returns from Arizona. I would like to see more people there but I know it isn't well attended. I'm thinking I might check out a couple other groups that meet on other days and maybe some of those participants would like to join us as well. I do enjoy the chats and it really helps me focus on my project - no distractions from the television or housework that I know needs doing at home.

When I left the stitch and chat, I stopped at the Superstore to pick up some items for Christmas baking. It's time to get going on some of the friend and family favorites.  First up is a Dundee cake and shortbread. The cake is for a friend K, with shortbread for her partner J. I know they're leaving mid-December on a trip so I want to get this to them to enjoy before they get away. The rest of the shortbread won't last until Christmas here as it is one of my son's favorites. 

I was able to watch some curling too, though I'd forgotten until later in the week. It isn't being televised, rather I have to remember to pull it up on the laptop. While watching a draw, I was able to finish the last of the angels, and continue working on a pair of mittens I'd started a week or so ago. The angels need halos - which weren't part of the pattern, the ends need to be weaved in, and hangers attached. I'll get those done this weekend and send them off to D in the mail soon.

Our weather turned on Friday, with temperatures above freezing. Sadly, the wind was a-blowing so it didn't seem all that nice outside. There was a fair amount of melting, which I appreciate. More snow is forecast for Sunday and Monday so I expect I'll be shovelling again in a couple of days. Sigh...

Time to post this and head for the kitchen. I think I'll bake sugar cookies today for decorating later, and maybe an almond biscotti. I know the kitchen floor needs scrubbing so I may as well make more of a mess now before I pull out the mop and pail. The semi-finals of the curling start at 11 a.m. so I'd best get busy.  Have a great week ahead everyone!

P.S. The photo from Wednesday was taken by my son when I was out of town. He heard them out his bedroom window and managed to sneak into the sunroom to get the photo. 

15 comments:

  1. The street fair sounds like it was fun. I was thinking of my Christmas tree recently. With Zofia, I don't think I will try any decorations. Hector was surprisiingly well behaved with the tree last year (no decorations then, either, to see how he did with a lit but bare tree) but the kitten may be a different story. And on the subject of baking, I stopped at my rescue-group's bake sale and bought far too much (oh, but it's in a good cause, right?). This will hold me in good stead when our weather turns very cold and snowy - tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun John. Lots of excited kids. :)
      I used to tie my tree to the ceiling and had strategically placed bells that would alert me to a cat attempting to climb or attack the tree. These days, the most Saku does is lie underneath it.
      Enjoy the baking!

      Delete
  2. Your tree is lovely. I need to get a bit more done on the gifts and then I can concentrate on tree, decorating and baking.

    Glad you had fun at the fair, and Eli got to pet the lambs.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I'm sure you'll be on to the next phase of holiday preparations soon.

      Delete
  3. Pretty tree. Going to the fair would encourage me to decorate too. Maybe even bake!!
    Maybe you've said but how far is it to D's?
    Sorry about the snow and cold. I say that with sincerity even though I'm enjoying the hot days here in AZ. ☺️
    You have a lot of things on the go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. It's about a ninety minute drive so not a long distance. It looks like winter is here to stay this year. I'm grateful I've got a trip booked (just 39 sleeps) to warmer weather.
      Enjoy that heat!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty tree! I cannot begin to think about Christmas baking yet! Hope you haver a good week1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just finished all the baking for Thanksgiving...ours was in October and I didn't bake. :p
      Thanks Connie!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Cheryl. We did have a lot of fun - I quite like the small town activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gotten into the habit of putting up the tree on Grey Cup weekend, so I was actually delayed this year. With the less than nice weather, I need a little sparkle in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's bad news, I'm sure he enjoyed the game but I hope he recovers from Covid quickly.
    You'll have to start doing like my mom and dad did. She covered it in large garbage bags (decorated) and dad propped it in a corner of the basement. Next Christmas, ta da...it was unwrapped and set up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’ve been busy alright. Your Christmas prep is well under way. You have more energy than I do. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I dislike crowds so I tend to get everything done by the first part of December so I can avoid the madness.

      Delete
  9. Your tree looks lovely. That bread price! I used to be able to buy those, or similar loaves for $2.50 each not too long ago. Good for you starting your baking! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. I did buy a different brand on sale for $2.99 (regular $4 something). But that price was just wild.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!