Saturday 28 January 2023

Back to routine

I'm interupting the vacation posts, to get back to my regular routine. It's been just over a week since I arrived home, and it already feels much longer than that. We had decent weather for most of the week, then the snow fell on Thursday and as of this morning, we're back in the deep freeze. According to the weather network, it is currently -25C (-13F), with a wind chill of -37C (-35F). I can assure you it feels very cold out there, as I just returned from filling the bird feeder. 

Initially when I returned, the birds weren't coming to the feeder. Perhaps they had given up on me since my son didn't fill it while I was away. But by mid-week they were back in full force, along with the squirrels. There is also evidence the hare has been finding food under the feeder too.

On Thursday, the Hungarian partridges were back - all eight of them. I was happy to see they've made it through the winter thus far. I smile everytime I see them parading through the yard. As you can see they found some shelter under the bird bath and hunkered down for most of the afternoon.


The hare paid a visit on Friday evening. I was having a green salad for dinner, while it had its greens from the spruce tree as well. 


The groceries needed restocking - I did that early in the week, ran an errand for my daughter, and dropped in at the Dollar store. On Wednesday before stitch and chat I stopped at Costco to pick up cat food for D and paper towels and Mr. Clean for me. There were only two of us at the stitch and chat. We caught up on Christmas (we didn't meet the week between Christmas and New Years), my vacation, and other happenings in her life as well. 

I worked on a counted cross stitch project I'm making for D and Eli. It was a kit I found at Value Village and it's coming along nicely. At home, I use two lamps for lighting, but the library's overhead fluorescent lighting was perfect. I've been trying to do an hour or two a day, as I'd like to finish it before March...but it's more likely going to be May.


Curling is back after a short break, with the provincial women and men's events happening across the country. The winners of these events will be the provinces (and territories) respresentatives at the national Scotties Tournament of Hearts and the Brier (I can't recall who is the title sponsor as it has changed several times). I'm annoyed with our telcomm here in Saskatchewan as they are only televising one draw a day. I can watch the other two draws on You-tube. I'm starting to think that streaming services may be a better option than cable television.

And of course, I've been catching up with housework. As I predicted, the vacuum that I parked in the closet before I left did not move (I didn't expect it would). While C is pretty neat - there were no big messes to deal with - even with one cat the cat hair builds up. I'm pretty sure I picked up another cat based on the amount of fur in the canister.

Speaking of cats, while I was away, D found a young kitten (about 9 months old) living in her garage. We're not entirely sure how long she was in there, but she had a bit of frost bite on the pads of her feet, but none on her ears or tip of her tail. D posted on the local lost and found and town FB pages but no one came forward to claim her. She then contacted the shelter in the nearby town (none in her community) and learned there are 70 cats currently awaiting placement and they couldn't take another in at this time. As a result, she now has a third cat. Lady Spencer (a nod to Princess Diana), has joined the family. She's been checked out by the vet, given meds to rid her of worms and ear mites, and been spayed. I suspect that she may have gone into heat and rather than doing what was best for her, the family she lived with simply tossed her outdoors. Their loss. She's settling in well, with Sheldon and Stanley, and is even starting to rule the roost. Stanley gets annoyed and jumps up somewhere, where she can't reach him, while Sheldon mostly tolerates the pesky kitten.

I'll get to meet her next week, as I'm heading out to visit for a couple of days. Eli doesn't have school either Monday or Tuesday, (teacher's conference or PD days or whatever they call it these days), so I'm sure we'll have lots of fun.

Have a wonderful week ahead everyone. 

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful kitty.
    Glad all your nature critters have returned for your enjoyment and 'feeding'!
    I bet it is nice to get back into a routine - although you probably miss the warmth and sun. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It's nice to see the critters back. I am definitely missing the heat. We had sun yesterday but the temperatures have dropped significantly.

      Delete
  2. We appreciate our routines all the more when we get away from them for awhile.

    Welcome to Lady Spencer, what a sweetheart. I'm so glad your daughter rescued her! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, though I do find I get into a routine even when on vacation.
      Isn't she a doll? I can't understand anyone tossing her out but that seems to be what happened. I'm looking forward to meeting her this week.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it doesn't take long to get back into a routine, and then it feels as if the holidays were years past... I laughed at the partridges, all gathered under the bird-bath. I wonder what they were talking about?... And hurrah for your daughter for taking in m'lady. I wish more people would do that for found-cats. Not everyone can, of course, but more could follow D's example, at least with one more cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do chatter among themselves John...I'm sure it there is some discussion as to who sits in the middle and who is on the end of the line.
      She really had no choice, the only other shelter nearby is a kill shelter and she wouldn't do that. But as you know, sometimes our cats choose us, and Spencer has a loving home for the rest of her life.

      Delete
  4. The photo of the partridges is priceless! Love the hare one too. The critters missed you for sure!

    It is amazing how quickly we can settle back into life as we know it. The routine gives us comfort.

    What a lovely ending for the beautiful Lady Spencer. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The partridges made me smile. I've never seen them do it before but I'm sure they appreciated a bit of shelter.
      Yay indeed - she'll be as spoiled as the boys.

      Delete
  5. Lovely Kitty. She looks right at home.

    Darn cold today, but at least the sun is shining. The Scotties are here in Estevan and Harvey has managed to take in a couple of games. Some are really not well attended at all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely a bit skittish around Eli - he's a little loud for her (he was sleeping in the photo).
      I've watched all of the draws on the You-tube or on television and the crowd is definitely that I've seen at past events. I'm sure it will pick up today for the semi and final games.

      Delete
  6. The partridge picture is priceless.
    Nice that D gave the kitty a safe home.
    I think she chose D's garage for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so too, Patsy! She's safe and warm now and will be well loved.

      Delete
  7. Like Lady Diana, the kitty has a beautiful face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. I'm happy she's living with my daughter and grandson. I'll get to visit. :)

      Delete
  8. I think Lady Spencer is beautiful! Many many thanks to your daughter for taking that beauty and letting her have a home. Sheldon and Stanley thank you both for being good boys. XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!