Saturday 4 February 2023

Regular programming

Wow, this week sped by, and it is February already. We're less than 11 months away from Christmas. Okay, that was my weak attempt at humour for the morning. Let's move on, shall we?

Last Sunday was filled with phone calls from my daughter, my son, and a friend and a long visit here with another friend. There was curling happening too, so it was a full day! The friend who came to visit, is the one whose mom passed away just after Christmas. I remember when my parents passed, I needed to just talk to someone and go through all the moments. So we sat, and she did most of the talking. There were tears but also some laughter. C is/was very close to her mother and they spent a great deal of time together. As expected, she is feeling quite lost. I totally understand it - I saw her yesterday and we've made arrangements to get together again next week. 

I left Regina about 8:30 a.m. on Monday, in absolutely brutally cold weather. It was about -27C(-17F), but the wind chill made it feel closer to -40C/F. When I arrived, D and I unloaded the vehicle quickly, plugged it in, and headed indoors for the day. The hug from Eli was worth the drive!

We spent that day just puttering around the house. I got some knitting done while watching videos with Eli, and D and I did some tidying of her dining room table. It tends to be a dumping ground. In the photo, Eli was relaxing on my mat with Stanley after D and I did our stretching exercises together.

Tuesday morning, my car would not start and we had errands planned. I called CAA and after a quick boost we were headed out. We picked up her groceries (ordered on-line), and dropped D off at one of the stores nearby while Eli and I drove around to warm up the car. We got back and sat in the car while she shopped, and I noticed that just sitting with the car running in that cold, that the temperature of the engine was actually dropping. Our last stop was McD's to pick up lunch and then we were headed home.

I was ready for a quick nap, as Eli had slept with me the night before. D worried that I wouldn't be able to sleep with the noise but she needn't have been concerned. Forty five minutes later I woke up feeling refreshed. That afternoon she made dough for doughnuts in her air fryer and before dinner, she and I fried them up using her cast iron skillet. Yum!

Wednesday morning, about 8 a.m. I started the car with no issues. I let it warm up and had it packed and ready to go within 15 minutes. Lots of hugs before I left. My follow-up mammogram was scheduled for noon, so I stopped at home to unload and relax for a bit. The scan went well, no need for an ultrasound, so I'm feeling assured that whatever they thought they saw back in July and August was nothing to worry about. Definitely a relief!

The next day was another cold day, so I stayed at home and got caught up on some housework. Oh, and watched curling as well. The men's provincial Tankard began Wednesday evening and continues until tomorrow. With three draws a day (except Sunday), I've had to plan out my chores around the curling schedule. I do sit and cross stitch while I watch during the afternoon, so I'm somewhat productive. :)

Hence, grocery shopping on Friday didn't happen until after the first draw. There were some decent sales out there to be had - 10 pounds of potatoes for $4.99 was one, and I filled the holes in the pantry, fridge and freezer, all while staying within my alloted amount. I did splurge and pick up a jigsaw puzzle, on sale for $5.99. Patsy has inspired me to try another one - the Christmas attempt failed miserably. She zips through puzzles in a few days, I'm sure this will take me a few weeks.

Today, I'll be watching curling, doing some stitching and maybe some knitting. The weather has done a complete 180 - we're sitting at -4C(25F) this morning with a expected high of -2C(28F). Of course, there will be snow to add to the accumulation but I'll wait until Sunday to clear the driveway. No reason for either my son or I to go anywhere ...at least that I know of.  Oh, some wonderful news too from this week. C received his promotion on the 2nd. He's officially moved from one division to another. This momma is very proud.

Enough chatter from me. Have a wonderful weekend everyone! I do hope the weather is improving for all of us. While one of the groundhogs suggested just six more weeks of winter in parts of Canada, I highly doubt that will be true for here. But spring is closer than ever, whether it is weeks or still a few months away.


16 comments:

  1. I think your cold has made its way to Ontario this weekend! However, we don't plug in our vehicles. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely looks like you are getting the cold we had. With my insulated garage I don't normally plug my vehicle in, but I was parked outdoors at my daughter's home.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a nice and filling week.
    Funny you say the groundhog predicted JUST another 6 weeks of winter - here everyone bemoans that as oh nooooo 6 more weeks of winter!!!!! Like a rodent can predict the weather!!! LOL!! It will be here when it gets here, and not a minute sooner!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny Cheryl - I hadn't thought of the saying that way.

      Delete
  3. Sound like a lovely visit with family!

    We had that cold last night and until tomorrow, -42 with the windchill last night. This too will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring will still arrive on March 20th regardless, it's whether the weather (haha) follows.
    Those Christmas comments should be stuffed away in a stocking for many months! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the calendar might say it is spring Patsy, but sadly the weather outside my door will say something much different.
      LOL, I haven't even purchased a Christmas gift yet this year. That, in itself, is quite unusual.

      Delete
  5. The Tankard is being held here and today Harvey decided he would go and watch. It was nice to have a day where he had something special to do.

    Lovely visit with Eli and your daughter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Harvey to enjoy the games. Last night's were pretty lop-sided. I'm hoping for better today.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad the mammogram went well. It's good to have that reassurance. And it's good to be able to spend most of the day indoors when the temperature is so low outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. It amazes how quickly the temperatures change - we're at -3C this morning. It feels absolutely balmy out there. :)

      Delete
  7. Good news on your mammogram! The break in the cold weather is very welcome although it is a damp cold now instead of a dry cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. We pretty much always have a dry cold, there is not a lot of humidity. Either way, I'll take the warmer temps!

      Delete
  8. MY gosh, we whine when it is a few degrees below zero around here. Only in Europe have I endured much worse. Well, I had to live up North here in the States and it was very snowy and cold. Always looked forward to the end of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the end of winter too. We're likely past the days of really bitterly cold weather and are on the slide to spring. It just won't be here as quickly as I'd like.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!