Saturday 25 March 2023

Ups and downs

 A mostly routine week was had, with the exception of additional driving. My friend C (whose mom passed away in December) had her car break down on her last week on the highway. She waited nearly two hours for a tow truck, before she had it towed to a local garage for service. Sadly the work that needed to be done would have cost more than the (used) car had cost her on purchase. She called me on Saturday to ask if I could take her for groceries and to check out another vehicle. 

I found out she had taken an Uber to work both Thursday and Friday, and suggested I could help out by driving her to and from work for a week or so until she got another vehicle straightened out. She happily agreed and gave me money to fill the gas tank. We did look at the vehicle and while it was a cute little car, we agreed it needed to be checked out by her mechanic before she decided. That happened Tuesday, and to be honest, I wasn't entirely surprised to learn that it too, required a lot of work. So that was a no go.

By Friday, she had found another vehicle through a good friend, and she's hopeful this will pan out. In the meantime I'm prepared to drive her to and from work for a few days next week. However, this weekend she'll have to find another means of transportation as I have come down with a miserable cold. Testing indicates negative for Covid. 

I didn't start feeling poorly until Thursday afternoon, so did get to Stitch and Chat on Wednesday. We had the three current regulars, as well as a lovely young woman who is teaching herself to crochet. I'm not sure we were much help to her as we all hold our hooks and yarn differently but we did offer some suggestions. A is currently on maternity leave for the next couple of months, and as well as being a new mom, is taking university classes in Education. one of her courses challenges her to learn something new that she's always wanted to learn. She chose crochet. I don't think we frightened her away as she mentioned she would be back next week. 

Other than that it was a pretty quiet week, lots of curling to watch, the regular housework, and I continued the declutter of the craft room. The photo on Wednesday is the result of purchasing new see-through storage containers for some of the yarn. I do need to pick up three more, I think. I sorted the yarn by color, and it will make it much easier to find what I'm looking for with the clear containers. 

The weather has been quite cold in the morning and warming sufficiently through the afternoon to allow for some melting. As a result my street is full of ruts, none of which are down to the pavement just yet. Driving down the street at any speed is like riding a mechanical bull. Even at the slowest speed one is tossed back and forth. Of course at the end of the crescent is a lovely small lake in the afternoon, which freezes into a true mess by morning. I suspect there is a drain that needs to be opened, but I'm not going looking for it.  I'm glad to see the melting, as I did have a fall earlier in the week when I walked to the mailbox. I was almost back on the sidewalk when my feet went out from under me, I landed on my back and my head hit the sidewalk. Luckily I didn't land hard and except for a pulled muscle in my neck, I was fine. 

Our Canadian women won their game overnight - I had PVR'ed it and watched it this morning, and will be on the ice again in about 15 minutes. So I'll be settled on the couch watching and hoping they make it to the final. If not, I believethey'll be in the bronze medal game. Other than that I've no plans for the rest of the weekend. 


I'll leave you with two very different photos. The one on the left was taken on this date two years ago. My post on FB tells me, it was raining with snow on the forecast overnight, but a high of 14C (57F) the following day.

The next photo was taken today, no snow in the forecast but temperatures not expected to reach above the freezing mark for a week or ten days. 


I bet you can guess which view I'd prefer!  

Have a great week ahead everyone. 


10 comments:

  1. I would prefer the rainy view also! How nice that you are helping out your friend. Hope you get over your cold quickly and I am glad it was not Covid:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I'm feeling some better today.

      Delete
  2. Definitely the rain and 14C!
    Sad to hear you feel but glad there were no bad reaffirms from that.
    You're a good friend, I'm sure she appreciated it very much. Tines are tough enough, we need to be there for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends have been there for me in the past, and I'm happy to help. However, I'm glad this is only temporary - the commute, short as it is, is tiring.

      Delete
  3. Hope you get over the cold quickly and so happy you weren't hurt when you fell. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a smart move to have the prospective vehicle examined by a mechanic. Not enough people do that. We have not much snow remaining here (just that hard, crusty substance in the shadows) but it's barely above freezing. Maybe by Easter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my fingers crossed that warmer weather will arrive in time for Easter too, though I suspect we'll have snow until May.

      Delete
  5. Isn't our weather the pits. I was so glad that the day I went for my tests was as lovely as it was.

    I hope your friend finds the perfect vehicle for her needs.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has been the pits. Thanks Jackie!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!