Sunday 18 November 2018

Bored? I think not

Rhetorical question for you....how can an adult be bored? I was talking to my daughter this morning and she mentioned she was bored.  Am I doing something wrong, because I can honestly say I can't remember being bored very often as an adult.  There is always just too much to do and not enough time to do it in.

This weekend, case in point, while grocery shopping I picked up a few more Christmas gifts, including gift cards, cards and envelopes for the gift cards, and a package of Tim Horton's steeped tea.  The latter is for my brother - he likes nothing better than sitting on the verandah of his home, enjoying a good cup of tea, and relaxing.  However, he too, does't suffer from boredom as his acreage keeps him busy when he isn't working his full time job.  

So that got me thinking that perhaps I should start decorating the house for Christmas.  I know it seems a bit early (though I'm told by friends it is not), but since I'll be away for a good portion of December it makes sense to put away the autumn decor and bring out the winter/Christmas.  I decided to limit myself to just winter decor, of which I have very little.  I replaced the wreath on the front door, tucked the snow penguin up on the shelf above the basement door, replaced orange candles with white (tied with red ribbon) and traded out the tablecloth with a snowflake motif one.  I'm done for the moment, though will likely do more next week.  Everything but the tree can be brought up, it can wait until I return from my cruise.

Time too, to start thinking about packing.  I pulled out my suitcase and brought it upstairs to the bedroom.  This is always a bit of a conundrum because I have a tendency to over pack especially if I start too soon.  Each time I try to reduce but I don't want to run short either.  On a Norwegian cruise I don't have access to laundry facilities, and though the ship will provide laundry service the cost is too high in my mind.  So I've added some laundry pods and a mini box of detergent.  I'll hand wash a few items on the ship, and we'll likely find a laundromat (if needed) when we reach New Orleans. On the other hand, I just realized that packing for the January cruise will be easy...just wash and repack from this one!  

Saturday morning, I actually slept until until 8 a.m.  Well, after a wake-up call from Sasha about 5:30.  I ignored him for a half hour and he finally let up and let me sleep.  He hasn't been eating well lately, and hadn't eaten much the night before, but he sure ate well this morning.  I worry about him, but at 18 1/2 years old I assume he has the right to be a little fussy.  I bought some new pate for he and Saku, which I'd given them last night...Sasha would not eat it.  Back to the Fancy Feast.

I didn't do much for the first hour or so, just relaxed, drank coffee and did some reading.  It was cold out, -20C (-4F) and I didn't feel like moving from my comfortable chair.  But eventually I convinced myself that the baking wouldn't get done by itself.  I mixed a double batch of cake batter and made 39 cupcakes - it should have made 48, obviously some were larger than they ought to have been. Of course, I had to taste test one so there are 38 remaining.  I had crushed a dozen candy canes and put the chopped peppermint through a fine sieve.  I used the dust to flavor the batter (and color it pink) and will use the rest of the candy for a topping.  The plan is to dip the cupcakes in melted white chocolate and sprinkle a bit of candy on top.  I thought about making another batch as it won't be quite enough to for everyone on my floor to have one, but I think I'll put together a batch of cookies to take along with it.  Something with chocolate and coffee I think for a totally different flavor.


From there I went on to do a bit of packing, which means trying on my shorts, capris, t-shirts, and bathing suits to ensure things fit and are in good enough shape to wear.  (Doesn't everyone have a bunch of clothing that is worn but not worn out...good enough to wear around the house but not out of it?)  I have some dressier items that I'll wear for dinner, that I currently wear for work so those will have to wait a few more days. That includes a couple of sweaters as the long range forecast for New Orleans looks a bit cool, with day time highs of 64F (17C) and overnight of 45F (7C).  I had picked up a couple of pairs of jean capris this summer that should come in handy as they are a little heavier.  I've packed a pair of flip-flops, sandals, and my dressier flip-flops as well.  No heels for me, not only are they heavy to pack but I no longer find them comfortable.  At my age (and weight) I want comfort more than style.  Also packed are my cross-body purse which has RFI pockets to hold my passport, other identification, and my cell phone.  I don't use the cellphone except to access free wifi when we're in a port, but it's handy to have when I'm on my way home. 

Also in the suitcase are a bag for laundry, the detergent, magnets, towel clips, and paper straws.  Magnets are useful because the ship's cabin walls are made of metal - I use the magnets for invitations and other information.  The paper straws are a new item; Norwegian is no longer providing plastic straws with drinks.  I'm quite happy to hear that, as our oceans are already polluted with plastics.  I purchased these on Amazon, they were shipped from somewhere in China and I was beginning to think they'd never show up.  I have 200 so that should last for these next cruises at least.  I wasn't to find any locally but maybe in the next while they'll become more readily available. 

Still lots to pack, unmentionables, nightwear, tops and toiletries.  I have pre-packed a couple of quart sized bags with mini toiletry containers, one will go in my carry-on, the other in the suitcase.  I always ensure I have at least a day or two worth of clothing in my carry-on, along with a change of shoe wear, a bathing suit and toiletries.  Thus far, I've not had my suitcase go missing but better safe than sorry. 

Next up was to strip my bed and wash all the bedding.  One of the cats (perhaps Sasha) had upchucked at the head of the bed between my two pillows.  The night before I'd thrown a towel over it and slept there anyway.  I know, I know,  I'm lazy!  But in my defense, it was late and I was tired.  Besides the one who made the mess was the mostly likely to sleep in that particular spot.  

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching university football, knitting, chatting on the phone with my brother and my daughter, and generally just putting my feet up.  I did make dinner though for C and I, I had some ground beef in the fridge and I asked him if he'd prefer meatloaf or Spanish rice for dinner.  He choose the latter, so I made both...I used half the package for each resulting in a good portion of the rice for us for dinner, and a meatloaf for sandwiches or to re-heat for the next day.  I know most people don't put meat in their Spanish rice, but my mom always did as it made a one pot meal.  I brown the beef and drain it, add in some chopped onion and let that cook a couple of minutes, and then for an easy Spanish rice, I add a cup of salsa, 1 1/2 cups of minute rice and an equal amount of chicken broth.  Let that come to a boil and let it simmer for ten minutes.  Dinners ready! It isn't how my mom would make it but still tasty.

This morning, I was able to sleep until 7:30 which is a near miracle.  Neither cat bothered me this morning - I guess they were tired too.  Another mostly relaxed morning, reading e-mail and checking Facebook, and knitting.  I've finished a second toque but have started a third because of the sizing.  I'll find out in two weeks whether any will fit Eli.  I'm pretty sure I have one small enough for Knox.  

Eli met little J.P. last week and was not very impressed. D says every time he sees the baby he heads for the car seat seemingly to suggest that perhaps the baby should leave.  This bodes well for my hope that he stays an only child.  

The rest of the day has been spent doing housework, washing floors, vacuuming the bedroom and the living furniture, and cleaning bathrooms.  There is nothing like watching an episode (or two) of Hoarders to motivate one's self to clean house.  I know my home isn't that bad, but I also know the mess has to start somewhere.

Back to my initial thought, I am never really bored, though there are times when I'd prefer to sit and relax rather than do what needs to be done.  Occasionally I get help with that...Saku makes a far better door than he does a window!

Have a great week everyone! 










3 comments:

  1. Eli's expression, with the baby on his lap, is priceless! OMG, too funny! I'd have had the same look, not really wanting to be around infants. :-D

    Well, my goodness, you were crazy-busy! And I thought *I* had a busy and productive weekend! LOL.

    I hope your work week goes well. What's your last day to work? It must be very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So close to retirement - and your cruise! I started decorating this weekend too, don't like to do too much of it in one day as it's no fun that way. We did do the worst part which is affixing our outside lights to the house, still have to do our back lights that we hang in our hedges but that can wait a week or two. I wanted the front lights up as there is much rain in the forecast and hubby has 3 away trips planned in the next three weeks, I like to have them to go on Dec 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the picture of Eli and the baby. His expression says it all, doesn't it?

    I'm with you: I am never bored. Well, let me qualify that: I am never bored on my own time. I am constantly bored at work. I have plenty to do (too many people assume that one cannot be bored if one is busy; au contraire), it's just boring as hell. But on my own, there is always something to do. If I can find time to relax, which is rare, then I am not bored; I am relaxing, I am thinking, I am daydreaming. I am never bored.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!