Saturday 18 March 2023

Running around

The photo on Wednesday was taken early one morning from my bedroom window. The rabbit was trying to get under the gate and out of the yard, and not having much luck. It wasn't trapped though, as there is a larger gap at the back of the yard where it can get under the fence and into the neighbour's yard. I was happy to see it is turning color, but winter is still hanging in here. We were supposed to be above freezing one day this week and it didn't happen. In fact, we had cold temperatures later in the week, with lows of -22C and -25C (-8 to -13F). 

Unlike the past couple of weeks, this week was a busy one. In fact, I was away from the house for periods of time on four days this week!  The driving started on Tuesday with grocery shopping. Like last week, I didn't need a lot, and shopped for the basics and a few sale items. 

I'd also managed to get some decluttering done on Monday, going through my closet and my dresser drawers and filled a bag with clothing I haven't worn in a long time, and items that don't fit well. I took the bag as well as several boxes of items I'd filled from the kitchen, and dropped them off at the thrift stores. The Salvation Army has been requesting donations of clothing so I went there first. Of course, I had to go shopping too - I picked up a cat food bowl for Saku and a book to read. Then it was off to Value Village to drop off the rest of the items. There I found yarn to make scrubbies, and a container of several birthday stamps. My daughter likes making cards, so I picked those up for her.  

I've also started my de-cluttering and tidying of the craft room, but I know it will take some time to get through it all. The two tables have been mostly cleared, and I've moved all of my UFO's into a single tub. It's clear I don't mind starting things, I'm not so good at finishing them! Perhaps to help hold myself accountable, I'm putting it out there that my plan is this: when I start a new project, I MUST finish a UFO as well. 

Wednesday was stitch and chat - there were just two of us there; R and I, the lady who had come a few weeks ago for the first time. The other regular texted she had something come up and couldn't make it. R mentioned she had thought a friend of hers might have attended but did not show, so we spent the two hours happily chatting.

On Thursday afternoon, I had my appointment with the bank to close the trust account and open the new one. Sheesh, what a process! It took nearly 45 minutes to get things dealt with. There were questions I wasn't expecting which didn't appear to relate to the opening of an account and, of course, an attempt was made to sell me other products. No thanks, I'm good. I've been banking with this institution since 1982 when I was hired at the branch in my hometown. My daughter was a baby, and we moved onto my parent's farm yard in a house trailer. During my tenure at that branch, there was a large construction project in the area and we had hundreds of new accounts opened as the employees came to deposit and cash their pay cheques. My memory suggests we opened accounts in no more than 20 minutes and that was pre-computer so everything was handwritten. (We did have "green-screen" computers but there was paper-work for everything we did.) I understand this appointment gave the bank an opportunity to update their information but seriously it took a ridiculous amount of time.

Friday morning, I took a drive out to visit my brother at the farm. I haven't seen him in person since before Christmas. He had a day off work and I decided a drive was in order before the spring thaw when the roads get quite messy. He texted me in the morning to wear my boots and bring my camera.

In summer he mows the hiking trails and in the winter he pulls a tire to pack down the snow. We left the yard and went for a short loop, and quickly learned I'm not very good at staying on the packed snow. I fell a few times when my foot sunk into the deeper snow beside the trail. I was grateful he was there to help me get up. (Do you remember the commercials, "I've fallen and can't get up?" That would be me.)


It was cold out (-18C or 0F), but I was bundled up and the sun actually felt warm. No wind to speak of, so it was nice to be out in the fresh air.


It's not easy to see in this photo but just ahead and to the right is a deer trail that climbs the hill. R says the view from the top is really nice...I'll take his word for it.


Another deer trail through the bush. 

Heading back into the farm yard, I saw the picnic table and said to R, "worldest largest bird feeder?" He said no, this is feed he's put out for the deer. They were cleaning out the bird feeder, so he set this out further from the house.

On the drive to his place, I stopped on the hill for a photo of the red-roofed church. The gravel roads were in good shape, but the ditches are definitely full of snow. Despite the cold, it was good to get outdoors and spend some time with my brother.

The Women's World Curling starts today,  and is being held in Sweden. The first draw is at noon (my time), and only the Canada games will be televised until the playoffs. I've looked at the schedule and some draws will be aired in the middle of the night. I'll have to PVR those games and watch them at a more reasonable hour. Even I'm not that big of fan that I'd get up at 2 a.m. to watch the live game. 

Have a wonderful week ahead everyone. I hope spring is well on its way, wherever you may be. I'd just ask you send some of my way, when you get a chance!


12 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of churches and what goes on inside, but that's a lovely shot of that red roofed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. It's an interesting little church, used only for weddings and funerals. There is a small graveyard there too. Mostly it is a landmark - almost anyone who visits the valley has seen the red-roofed church.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice week. Glad you got to spend time with your brother and enjoy some nature. What a beautiful picture that is of the church.
    Have a wonderful remainder to your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that banks and other companies like asking questions that are really none of their business. I don't think there is anything more sinister to it than wanting to know more so they can sell more - but it's still annoying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying, and I understand it's part of the employees' jobs (since many years ago I worked on the other side of the counter). But I wish they'd stop asking when I make clear I'm not interested, instead of moving onto another product or service. I guess I need to be more forceful.

      Delete
  4. What a nice outing with your brother, that church is so pretty in the snow! :) Stay warm! Hope you get Spring someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I think all of us in the northern hemisphere are hoping spring arrives soon.

      Delete
  5. Your picture of the red roofed church is beautiful! Hope it warms up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds as if your week was just perfect. Love the photo of the red roofed church. We got a bit of snow here again today. Winter just does not want to let go.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a good week. Hopefully once we get to the end of this week, we'll start seeing a few signs of spring. You can bet my fingers are crossed!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!