Saturday 4 May 2024

Some Days are better than others


Monday was not one of those days. My daughter had been to the old house about 3 p.m. on Sunday to take out the recycling bin. We had taken the day "off" to do some work around the yard at the new house. All was well. However, when I arrived at the old house around 8:30 on Monday morning, I opened the back door and found the toilet in the bathroom (just off the porch) was overflowing. I quickly called my daughter as I didn't know where the shut off valve to the house was located, and I turned off the valve to the toilet.

Thankfully, the water had not made it much past the bathroom door to the porch, however, the damage had been done when the water flowed down the heat vent into the basement. While my daughter went downstairs to start mopping and bailing water in the unfinished basement, I contacted the insurance company and started a claim. They called our local restroration company and Rick was at the house within a half hour. After his review of the situation, he went to his office to submit a report to the insurance company. Meanwhile D and I continued the efforts to clean up as much water as we could in the basement. She spent two and a half hours, while I was down there for at least an hour. 

I spoke with the adjuster later that morning and explained we were in the process of moving and prepping the house for sale. One of the questions asked, was what was the last date anyone slept at the house - April 11. I explained we were in the house every day since as we continued to clean, prep for painting, and making minor repairs. 

As of Tuesday afternoon, I had still not heard anything from the insurance company and called the adjuster. She advised that she had sent the report to her supervisor, but believed they would be denying my claim because the house is "vacant". We disagreed on the definition of vacant - I said, walking out the door, turning the key, and walking away would make the house vacant. She stated it occurs when someone moves out of the house and does not intend to return. I suppose her definition is the legal one but frustrating none-the-less.

On Wednesday, I went over to the house to meet our handyman - he's doing some repair work to the old plaster walls in the bedrooms on the 2nd floor. I told him what had happened, and he checked both the furnace and water heater and confirmed there was no damage to either piece of equipment. Thus, the only work needed to be done, in his estimate, was drying out the basement, and replacing the toilet upstairs. A far cry from the restoration company's assessment! 

While CT was working upstairs, I continued the process of filling cracks and nicks in the walls. I also ran out to the hardware store and picked up a toilet and a few other items. I left to pick up Eli from school at lunchtime and returned at 1 p.m. to start clearing out the garage. CT returned shortly afterward and made some repairs to the ceilings and one wall that were beyond my capabilities. He also took out the old toilet and put in the new one.   

Thursday was grocery day so I didn't get over to the house until mid-morning. CT has keys to the house, and I knew he was installing doors on another job, so there was no rush. I did more sanding, vacuuming and washing of walls before heading home for lunch with my grandson. Not that he pays much attention to me, as he is busy on his tablet and eating. After lunch, I ran out to the local insurance agency office to discuss obtaining insurance on a "vacant" property. I have decided to cancel my policy with the existing company as I had still not heard from them in regard to the claim. (I didn't call them to tell them about the furnace and water heater...if they can't be bothered to call me, why should I?)

It started to rain in the afternoon, and since I was hoping to do some yard work at the old house, I decided just to drop in and check if CT was there. He was not, so I grabbed the mop and bucket - our kitchen floor desperately needs cleaning. D went over in the early evening. We know there is little likelihood of another issue with the new toilet; it was the liner in the old one that failed and caused the problem, but we're still checking frequently.

Friday, we woke to more rain. I checked the rain gauge about 7 a.m. and we'd had about 10 millimeters, about 4/10ths of an inch overnight. I didn't empty the gauge as we were expecting more rain throughout the day. By evening we'd received just about 20 millimeters or 3/4 of an inch. I waited until around 9 a.m. to go to the old house to do more sanding and vacuuming, before washing down the walls. D met me there briefly, and I had her finish packing up the set of cabinets over the washer and dryer before she left for home and I went to Canadian Tire and to the Co-op. The latter was to pick up some meat that hadn't been available the day before. We're well stocked for the next few weeks.

Today, the sun is shining as you can see in the photo of our backyard from this morning, but we are expecting more clouds as the day progresses. Tomorrow, however, is forecast to be sunny and warm (18C/64F). D is already planning to take Eli to the park tomorrow afternoon. I'm taking much of the weekend off, as the sanding is as complete as I'll get it, and the painters are expected on Tuesday. I'm going to add to their workload as I want them to paint the ceilings in the kitchen and living/dining room areas. I do hope they'll have the time (since I did much of the wall repairs). If not, I'll need ot ask them to return because I am NOT painting ceilings. 

The ground is very wet, but I may spend some time out in the yard. I've discovered that someone or something allowed creeping bellflower into the front flower beds, and it has seeded itself in the back yard as well. It is an invasive plant, spreading both by rhizome and seed. I suspect we'll be digging these suckers out for some time. 

There is a Blue Jays game this afternoon, and I think I'll watch while either knitting or stitching. It will depend on whether it has clouded over. I will go over to the old house, sometime this morning and again in the evening, but just as a check of the premises. I doubt we'll have another flood but I'm being extra cautious for now. 

Have a great week ahead everyone!  


16 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, what a circle jerk that was. Dang insurance - sometimes I wonder why we have it. I would leave them too. That is ridiculous. But sometimes the 'other' answer' works out better for everyone.
    Beautiful yard. Rest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I've been able to relax some this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Good luck sorting it out. We had a terrible time with the restoration company when our house burned down. Get things in writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FG, everything is okay at the house. I'll hear back from the broker tomorrow for the change in insurance and then I'll cancel the other. I did do a "satisfaction" survey and I'll admit I spoke my mind. It felt good. :)

      Delete
  3. I made the mistake of planting that flower years ago and I am constantly pulling the plants out. Each year there are fewer plant though so that is a good thing.

    Sorry to read about the insurance problem, I do know they can be very picky with their interpretation of various clauses.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had clustered bellflower and they were lovely, but these creeping ones are horrid. My daughter spent an hour or so outside this morning digging up the rhizomes. I suspect it will be a few years before we rid ourselves of the darned things.

      Delete
  4. Oh, gosh, what a schmozzle all round! I hope all is settled and that selling preparations are done soon, with multiple offers above listing! 🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, from your lips to God's ear. :)

      Delete
  5. It really does seem that the moment you have an insurance claim the company sets about figuring how to deny it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't insurance companies so helpful. I have contacted mine twice this year on issues and have been told each time that my issues were not something they cover. So why do I have it if they are not covering it? Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list of exclusions is a mile long. If my mortgage didn't require that I maintain insurance on the property, I'd probably let it lapse. I've had two claims in the more than 35 years I've owned my own home. I'm sure, had I saved that money, I'd have had more than enough to cover both incidents.

      Delete
  7. We had a pleasant experience with our insurance company recently which was a new experience for us. Good luck getting everything sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a mess!! You are making me tired with all the running around. I sure hope things get sorted soon. 😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Patsy! I'm sure in a few weeks, or months, everything will just seem like a dream.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!