Another week is nearly in the rear view mirror. When I look back, it seems this summer went by so very quickly. Yet, at the beginning of summer it seemed we had so much time for all the plans we tentatively made. But with Eli's activities, our house and garden work, and my volunteering, there wasn't a whole lot of time remaining for other possibilities. We did make the one trip to a town nearby for the parade, garage sales, and swimming pool.
This month, too, is flying by. In spite of no time required at the thrift store this month, I've still managed to fill the time. There won't be any more garden updates, as I brought the carrots in this week. While I still need to cut back the asparagus ferns (they are laid out on the garden over winter), and I'll plant garlic, lily, and tulip bulbs closer to the end of the month, this season is coming to an end.
The Manitoba maple tree leaves are starting to turn yellow. It is the last to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop its leaves in the fall. While it is sad in some ways, I can use the leaves to protect some newer perennials, the clematis, spirea, and the hosta. I appreciate how nature takes care of its own.
Indoors, I've been puttering. My closet got cleaned out and reorganized, as did the cabinets that hold the spice jars and various baking incredients. When I had finished that job, I showed D how it was organized. Fingers crossed she keeps things up. :)
Eli and his mom finished the back of the teacher's Christmas ornaments, so I was able to finish putting the last of them. D has tucked them away for later. My cross-stitching is continuing to be a slow process. But I am determined to have these finished by mid-October. My brother and SIL may not get one but the niece and nephew will. Since most of the gifts I am planning to give are gift cards, I will be able to wrap up Christmas before I head south. Eli's gift was purchased months ago, and D has asked for a dashcam for her SUV. In other words, she'll arrange the purchase and installation and I'll pay for it. :)
I'm planning to head to the city on October 25th, to spend a few days with my son, his g/f, the granddog and her kitties. There are few things I want to do while I'm there, meet with a few friends, purchase those aforementioned gift cards, and finish the preparations for the trip to Yuma. It seems like a long way away right now, but I suspect that time will pass quickly as it did this summer.
I did get out of the house a couple of times this week. On Monday, I made a trip to NTO for groceries and a stop at the $ store for items, our local store doesn't carry. Btw, Wednesday's photo was from the $ store....my jaw almost hit the floor when I turned the corner to find both Halloween AND Christmas!
The grocery list was heavy with items for baking, and wow have the prices gone crazy. A small bag of Chipits was $6.44 at Walmart - it was $7.49 at our Independent grocer. That works out to between $4.20-5.33 in USD. As you might expect, I didn't buy any. D will keep an eye out for sales later this fall. Oddly, I cannot find Eli's favorite apples, Red Delicious, in any store besides our Independent Grocer. I needed to make a stop there and at the local Co-op when I returned to our town for some sale items.
On Thursday D and I did some shopping. First up I made a stop at the grocery store for more fruit and milk, then the two of us headed to the Legion hall for the Friends of the Library book sale. I found three paperbacks, while D managed to find several treasures including more books for Eli. Later we headed to the thrift store after seeing they were having a sale - a basket for $12. We agreed to share a basket and between the two of us, we filled it quite quickly. I found five pieces, she found another 20-25 items for Eli and two of her friend's children.
D immediately grabbed a nightgown, while I kept two tops, a pair of leggings, and a t-shirt dress. I loved the pattern on the front of the dress.
On the way home, D dropped me off at the library for Knit and Natter. Just G and I again, but one of the librarians joined us for part of the time. Lots of chat about the weather, books, and crafts.
Friday was a mostly quiet day, some housework was completed, and I worked on the Christmas ornaments for my niece and nephew. I realized I am missing two colours for the one ornament, but I managed to backstitch a portion of it. I'll pick up the last floss when I go the city, as I'll be seeing my brother when I'm there.
Stanley, the cat is healing though not as quickly as D would like. He's been through his course of meds. But he hasn't been eating very much. We've been mixing the vet food with the Fancy Feast..he'd eat a little and walk away. I tried feeding him just the vet food and he refused it entirely. So I gave him the regular and he ate some but not all of it. D called the vet and has an appointment for Monday for a check-up.
As for today, our football team is on a bye week but there are two CFL games to watch. I'll do more stitching while I glance at the television..as I'm not invested in the games. Have a great week ahead everyone!

You do keep busy with your projects.
ReplyDeleteThe trees here are still green for the most part. My tulip poplar always starts losing leaves in July - other than that, it will be well in October before they turn.
I sure hope Stanley starts doing better and heals quickly.
Well, the city trip to see your son sounds like fun--I like how you get around, Maebeme. And I very much liked the colorful design on that dress too. Gave me a sort of psychedelic vibe. 😎 Meanwhile, fingers crossed for dear Stanley...
ReplyDeleteI hope Stanley's appointment goes well. The prescribed food is useless if the cat won't eat it, as I remember only too well.
ReplyDeleteHave a fun visit, enjoy the catch up time with your son, his gf, and the grandpets.
Shopping is fun, especially at thrift stores! Paying full price for clothing is not my idea of fun anymore unless it's Giant tiger!
ReplyDeleteYou have been busy, yes it seems like Summer was short!
ReplyDelete