Friday 28 December 2018

Return to New Orleans

Our final sea day was a bit rough, and the weather was definitely cooling off.  I tried one last time to get a sunrise photo...nope not happening!

If you look to the bottom left of the photo, in the distance you might be able to see a freighter off in the distance.  Not that it factors in the story, but I don't have N's photo to share; dummy that I am I deleted it. 

He was flying a Westjet flight from Montego Bay, and spotted two cruise ships below from 30,000 feet.  N zoomed in as best he could and got photos of the ships and their positions off Cuba.  Later we were able to determine that, in fact, it was a Norwegian ship and Carnival ship.  We were in fact following a Carnival ship, and we're pretty certain he captured a photo of the cruise ship I was on.  Makes the saying small world apt!

Since the weather was cool, the day was spent mostly indoors.  I do recall we watched a couple of games of Deal or No Deal (on the ship).  It's played much like the televised game, however there are cards, similar to Bingo cards that the audience can play as well.  Players who match 8 case numbers with the same amount as the board can win a free cruise. Two matches give the winner a pull-tab (basically a lottery ticket), three matches win a photo, and four get $50.  We saw a couple of $50 winners but nothing higher.  In fact, I'm pretty certain no one has ever won the free cruise.  But lots of people like to play and at $5 a card, I'm pretty sure the cruise line makes a bit of money on it too.

The individual selected to play the big board (selecting the cases) is chosen by random electronic draw from the number on the bottom of the card.  Then, just as they do on television, they start calling cases numbers to be opened.  The largest prize we saw was around $400 and the fellow also won $50 in his card (someone else played for him).  The lowest was $0.01!  The audience cheers the participants to deal or no deal, and I suspect some individuals went further than they might normally.


Final packing occurred as well, and my suitcase was packed and ready to be set out for pick-up by 8 p.m. that evening.  Since we were staying in New Orleans, I didn't have to pack everything away as I would have if I'd been flying out.  On the sink is my Aveeno daily moisturizing cream...it's just a little too large to be put in the carry-on for a flight.

We had a last dinner at the buffet, went for a last walk-about the ship, and then turned in early.  I watched some of an NFL game and read for awhile before I fell asleep.  

(By this point in the cruise, I was tired of watching the US news - we got Fox and MSNBC.  At first it was amusing to watch the two networks report divergent views of the same events.  But after awhile that became very tiresome.)  


We arrived in New Orleans just around 7 a.m.  I headed over to K and J's balcony not much later, to take some photos from their balcony.  I'd given up trying to get a sunrise shot. :(

And look who arrived ahead of us...the Carnival Dream!  I've never sailed with Carnival, but the fact they have an outdoor sitting area where one can dine looks good to me...especially in warmer weather.



Our first day in New Orleans brought cool weather, a high of 46F (7-8C) with a few raindrops.  We disembarked just after 9 a.m. and though we had warned the terminal would be chaotic, it really wasn't.  We'd gathered our bags and were in a cab in just minutes to our hotel in the French Quarter, Le Marais.  The cost was a mere $8 per person, which I thought was very reasonable.

Even better, we were able to check in early, as they had a "deluxe double" available.  It wasn't particularly deluxe but had two double beds and a large bathroom with a massive shower.  I didn't think to take any photos of the room, but it was clean, the hotel provided a free breakfast, and it was just a half block off Bourbon Street.  

There wasn't much of a view, but below us was the courtyard with a small plunge pool, some outdoor furniture, including a few tables and chairs.  It was never quite warm enough to have our breakfast outdoors, but I can see it would be a pleasant spot.


After a bit of unpacking, we walked around for awhile and made our to Preservation Hall for Creole Christmas.  K had purchased tickets for us on line before we left for the trip...good thing, as the show was sold out.  From the website "Join the Preservation Hall Jazz Band in celebrating “the most wonderful time of the year”—New Orleans-style! Enjoy a swingin’ evening as the band takes on holiday favorites and beloved standards in its inimitable style, with the joyful sounds of wailing trumpets and toe-tapping rhythms."  It was as advertised, only we saw the first of the afternoon shows at 1 p.m.  The band included drums, piano, trombone (with a warning to those in the front row), trumpet, tenor saxophone, bass, and a keyboard played by the gentleman who provided the vocals.  There was a cold wind blowing in the open doors, poor J just about froze, but still a very enjoyable show.  I was able to grab a cup of coffee and that helped me stay warm.  

After the show it was back to the hotel to warm up.  J and I left K to have a nap, as she wasn't feeling well.  We headed back to a nearby corner store, to pick up soft drinks and snacks.  As we were on our way back, we heard the sound of music. This was something we'd soon realize is the norm.  Where there are people in the French Quarter, there is music.  

In this case, the band was led by a policeman on a motorcycle and followed by a small crown and another motorcycle. What fun!



Later we went for dinner to Arnaud's Remoulade restaurant.  Arnaud's offers fine dining....think $$$, while Remoulade next door, is more along the lines of $$.  

I enjoyed a chicken po-boy and fries along with a beer.  J had a combination platter with file gumbo, crawfish pie, and jambalaya.  I can't recall what K ate, but we all had a taste of J's gumbo and oh my, was it tasty!  

After a short walk down Bourbon Street, we took a detour through the Royal Sonesta to view their Christmas decorations.  There were two hallways, both decorated to the max!  There were trees every few feet, and decorated beautifully.

It was difficult to find a view where people weren't in the photo, as we weren't the only ones enjoying the decor.

After a few more photos we headed back to the hotel.  It was chilly out and dark, and we were ready to relax in preparation for the busy day ahead.  (more to come tomorrow!)




3 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a nice cruise although weather might have been nicer. New Orleans is on my bucket list, those decorations are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those Christmas trees! I think I would have enjoyed that the most, that and the yummy food!

    BTW, it's very cool that "N" got a photo of (presumably) your cruise ship and the Carnival one while flying. Small world indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have thought of New Orleans as chilly, but under ten degrees Celsius qualifies. I never think of it as hot, either; just somewhere in between. But I guess they have winter, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!