Saturday 2 March 2019

Welcome March

Despite the change to the calendar, March hasn't yet been any kinder to us than February was.  It's cold, yet again -31C this morning, and that is before the wind is factored in.

Yesterday morning was much warmer, thankfully, as snow had fallen overnight.  I was out early clearing the driveway.  Glad I did as the temperature began dropping throughout the day.

There is some relief in the forecast, but it will be several weeks yet before spring truly arrives here.  In the meantime, I'm looking forward to my next getaway in mid-March.  

It's been a busy week, as I drove C to and from work Tuesday through Thursday.  We had cleared out the Cobalt on Monday, and he got the news on Friday we were expecting, the car has been written off.  Tuesday, after work, we headed to a car dealership to test drive a Toyota Corolla.  The test drive went well, so after a bit of discussion on tires and block heaters, we met with the finance guy and completed the paperwork for a car loan.  C got the word on Thursday the loan had been approved, and I drove him to the dealership after work to finalize the purchase.  He is now the proud owner (or partial owner since the bank still owns most of it), a 2017 Toyota Corolla.  I drive an older model, a 2007 that I purchased from the same dealership back in 2010.  It's been a very reliable vehicle, so I'm hopeful C's will prove to be the same.  

Meanwhile at home I kept busy with my chores, my projects, and bit more packing.  I've nearly finished the baby blanket, just ends to be woven in, complete the edging, and block it.  I'll tuck it away for the next baby as I have no one in particular in mind...I just had the yarn.

Next up, I want to crochet a cat bed.  I found several free patterns on the internet and I bought the yarn at least two years ago with good intentions!  It's quite thick yarn so it should work up quickly.

On Friday, I met a friend for lunch.  We met nearly 42 years ago, and have kept in touch throughout the years, generally through Christmas cards and more recently, through Facebook.  I think the last time we actually saw one another was likely 15-20 years ago.  It was great catching up with her!

Later in the evening, there were just two of us for the Friday night dinner as four of the group are currently in sunny Jamaica.  We had a good visit, with a wide range of topics, before I headed home to watch the wildcard game of the Brier.  Yes, there's more curling!!


Today is a big day for this little guy.  Eli turns two today.  I had thought I might drive out for a visit but with the cold weather, decided against it.  I called this morning for a video chat just before 7.  He immediately grabbed the phone from his mom and took me up to his playroom.  While D and I chatted he showed off his mini-trampoline skills.  Then he headed back downstairs. Thankfully, his mom had the phone because he likes to slide down on his belly...it's a race to the bottom.

Next up I was introduced to his new toys, a talking Elmo, a talking Chase (this was my contribution) and a talking Octopus.  I confirmed with D that none of these toys were coming to G'ma's house.  :)

I snagged this photo off D's Facebook account.  He's watching his favorite program Paw Patrol, while enjoying his juice.  D said he's had his breakfast, a bowl of cereal and she's mixed up a batch of cinnamon buns as a special treat.  I'm sure he'll have a wonderful day, and I'll see him when they are here in mid-March.  We'll celebrate his birthday then too, though I'm sure he has no real clue what it is all about!

Have a great weekend everyone!  I'll be hibernating, watching curling, and working on my projects.  Sounds good to me.




7 comments:

  1. Happy 2nd birthday to Eli! He IS a cutie! :-)

    Hurrah and congrats to your son re: the new (to him) car, that's great! I, too, hope it serves him well for many years to come.

    Oh, I heard the Prairies are under yet another cold advisory. They ought not to have bothered to lift it! It's chilly here too, but not that cold. We have snow right now, though. Seems the third week of March might bring us a more spring-like change, but we'll see. I had seen a flock of robins earlier this week, crazy early, am hoping they know something about the weather we humans don't.

    Take care, enjoy the weekend. Though "weekend" has less importance when you're retired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years old, eh? Now Eli officially enters the 'terrible twos', though I think you mentioned earlier that they had preceded his actual birthday...

    My oldest friendship is going to be 32 years in September, a friend I met in college. He lives hunfdreds of miles away but we stay in touch. I think our biggest topic of discussion is that we have been friends for 32 years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure hope he has a long run with the Toyota. They are tough cars. Mine will turn 15 this year and has never had any work done out side of maintenance. What a cutie Eli is. Take your vitamins so you can keep up. Two is a busy age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your Eli! That is a beautiful baby blanket that you crocheted:) Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday sweet Eli. You look precious there watching TV with your bottle. I LOVE the soft yellow of the baby blanket too. And the pattern. Want to see the cat bed when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Toyota Corolla LE. I have had a Corolla since 2004. Got the one I have now about a year and a half ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!