Thursday 17 December 2020

Countdown over, Christmas joy

 I had an entirely different post planned for this week. But those ideas went out the window when our health officials and Premier announced on Monday that further restrictions were being placed on gatherings in the home over Christmas.  Until Thursday morning, indoor gatherings in private homes could be as many as five, but after that we've been asked to keep our gatherings to just the immediate household. Failure to comply can result in fines of $2800 and though the risk of being caught is slim, I'm a rule follower.  

While disappointing, D and I talked about it and decided to move Christmas to Wednesday of this week.  So that's what we did.  They drove up on Tuesday, in fact they were here by 7:30 a.m.!  Apparently Eli woke at 4:30 and insisted it was time to go to G'ma's.  D kept him busy for an hour and then hit the road.  Since they had to head back Wednesday, we had Christmas dinner on our Christmas Eve.

I hadn't yet picked up a whole chicken, so instead I roasted chicken breasts with poultry seasoning and sage.  There was mashed potatoes, gravy, two types of stuffing, and roast carrots and turnips.  Want to take a guess what part was Eli's favorite?  The turnips! I must admit they were delicious, but so was everything else.

It was a busy day: Eli and I went out to feed the birds and to shovel the driveway, while his mother wrapped the stocking gifts, she dropped off gifts at an adopt a family, as well as with friends while Eli and I played (or with Uncle C), and dinner prep took a good amount of time as well. A bath was in order for the little guy after dinner, and all shiny and clean he popped into his new Christmas pajamas.

My brother R stopped by briefly after dinner.  Eli was so excited to see Gr'uncle R and there was much tickling and giggling going on.  When R took his leave, D took Eli to the bedroom to sleep just before 8 p.m.  There was no nap that afternoon, he often doesn't, and within five minutes he was asleep.  At that point, D was ready for bed too, so the two of us put the gifts around and under the tree and she put out the stocking for the next morning, and took her tired self to bed.

Christmas morning started early, at 5 a.m. when one excited little boy was awake and ready to get into those presents. D explained that he had to wait for Uncle C to wake up, and he was satisfied with the gifts from his stocking, cartoons on television and breakfast.  We had sausage, croissants, and D and I had eggs as well. Although Eli has outgrown his egg allergy, he still doesn't care for them.  We wonder if his tummy gives him a bit of grief.  

I had informed C that he was to be up by 9 a.m., so D and Eli headed downstairs to ensure he did so.  A little voice told his uncle that Santa came!  I'd made a pot of coffee in time that it was ready when C arrived upstairs and in short order the fun had begun.


Eli is playing with his small Paw Patrol firetruck.  The large box to his right contains a large Paw Patrol firetruck.  The little one (from Uncle C) stays at G'ma's and the other (from his mom) went home.  Also in the photo is a package of Oreos - the only thing he asked for.  My homemade cookies just didn't cut it!

My daughter was thrilled with her afghan and her other gifts, while my son was surprised with the gaming chair.  D and I had brought it out and tucked it behind a side table and covered it with a blanket.  Eli was so excited to help bring it out and take the blanket off to show Uncle C.  I received a new set of sheets from my kids and Eli gave me a box full of paints for my crafting.  

The rest of the morning and early afternoon were spent tidying up the living room, playing with Eli, tidying up behind Eli, doing dishes, tidying up behind Eli, while D loaded her car and met a friend to pick up another gift.  C spent a lot of time with Eli - which I know both enjoyed greatly.  D had a t-shirt made for her brother with the wording "PUNK - professional uncle, no kids". Perfect!

With the car loaded, I asked if I could take a photo of D and Eli.  It took a bit of doing, as his middle name is not cooperation, but I did get some good photos.  First off, an outtake.

This is one of my favorites, even though Eli is in profile. 

I'm grateful that we were able to spend this time together to celebrate.  I know that Eli had fun, and even though our plans were pushed up by nine days, nearly everything had been done.  The house could have used a little more cleaning, but it needs doing now too after the visit. We won't be together again until at least mid-January when the restrictions may be lifted.  Already I'm thinking ahead to a visit near the end of January (dependent on the winter weather and road conditions).  

I'll be back on Saturday to wrap up the rest of the week.  Take care everyone and stay well!


12 comments:

  1. Awww, what a lovely early Christmas you had! It's note the date that matters, but the love shared. And of course the presents, when you're Eli's age. :-)

    Take care; stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you were able to enjoy Christmas together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you have a lovely time. Seems silly to me that one day 5 is OK and the next day no.
    I will be with family for a while on Christmas and a couple after Christmas gatherings. We will all take protective measures and be as safe as possible - but I will see them at some point.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! I am glad that your family enjoyed your time together. Eli sure looks happy with Christmas in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you are facing such restrictions. I thought you all were setting the bar for the rest of us. Looks like
    Eli really enjoyed and lucky boy he gets two Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful early Christmas. All our plans have gone out the window. One son and his wife were coming from Vernon and another son and partner from Vancouver but they are both a no go. We will be having a driveway meeting with our other son and DIL and 2 grandkids on Christmas eve. Hopefully it won't be too cold. Will be doing the same with our married GD and her husband on another day. Definitely better than nothing!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful Christmas you had.

    We are lucky in that our sons live alone and thus can come for Christmas we are there chosen bubble. Still no extended family gathering later in the day, or Mass the night before. Instead we will be home enjoying games on Christmas day and a live streamed Mass from our Church.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the same restriction here in Vermont -- it was in effect for our Thanksgiving as well. I am glad you could get together. That little guy obviously makes it Christmas not matter the day it was celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all have to make do! Glad you could get together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun time. I miss my grands and greats something fierce. We aren't in much of a lock down, being in a green zone, but most of my grands live in the red zones around Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Heavens, look at all the gifts under the tree! It reminds me of when I was a little boy. I'm glad you were able to have family-time, even if it was early. Did Eli know it wasn't really Christmas? And turnips? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! To you, your children and brothers and certainly to Eli! Oh, dinner sounds so good! Now...I haven't thought about sage on chicken. How much per chicken breast?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!