Monday 12 June 2023

Weekend fun!

I'm home from my visit with D and Eli. I drove up Friday evening, and returned last evening. It was a quick trip, but a good one.

It had cooled off on Friday, which was wonderful as she doesn't have a/c. D had set up a box fan with a pail of ice behind it in the living room, and that kept things quite comfortable. Both nights, Eli and I slept (sort of) on the main floor. D had brought down his mattress and we set it up in front of the couch. We started the night on the mattress with books read and cuddles enjoyed, before the movement between couch and mattress started. I'd move to the couch first, as the kiddo tends to wiggle, kick and steal the covers. It wouldn't be long (at least it seemed to me), before he'd join me on the narrow couch. His head at one end, and mine at the other. I'd last a hour or so, then I'd be back on the mattress, and we'd both stay put for the rest of the night. 

Saturday, we did some house work and yard work before heading to the park. There was a event there with games, a canteen, and a fire truck with a slip and slide for the kids. There were lots of kids, and several that Eli knew from school. 

Although, he doesn't appear to be that happy, Eli was excited to get to climb into the fire truck. Thumbs up!

He and one of his classmates had a wonderful time climbing the spider apparatus. It wasn't long ago, he was too afraid to climb it. Now he climbs to the very top. He doesn't, yet, climb over the top....something G'ma is quite happy about.

I didn't take a whole lot of photos on Saturday as I knew I'd be taking lots the following day. We spent a couple of hours at the park, before heading back to the house. Eli and I stayed outdoors, where he played in the water sprinkler, while I read a book. Then he decided to attach his sled to his tricycle to take his stuffies for a ride.


While we were playing outside, D had prepped dinner inside. Between the two of us, we barbecued chicken breast and hotdogs, she cooked some noodles for Eli, while I made a tossed salad for the two of us. Eli and I ate our meals outside while D enjoyed the peace and quiet indoors. 

Sunday, our boy woke up excited about his party. He managed to keep himself busy with his cartoons and video games, while D mowed the back lawn and made a trip to the store for a few last minutes items and I tackled weeds in her back flower bed. I cleared it out the last time I was there, but apparently the weeds didn't get the message. I also planted a couple of lilies in the bed out front (in the photo above). After a call from my brother, who was driving back from his Saturday, 9 hour, 53 kilometer run, I grabbed my book and spent some time reading. Soon enough it was time to pack up and head for the park.


Eli can't be seen in this photo - he is there beside the girl in the rainbow bathing suit (I can see his bathing suit between her and the red head in pink). D started the event off with games, but that didn't last long. Not only was it hot, but the kids were more excited about a mud puddle. Someone had dug a hole in front of the spider web apparatus, and the kids were taking water from the splash pad to make the mud puddle. There was much splashing and digging, and occasional tossing of mud...the latter usually brought a shout from a parent.


They did take a break to enjoy donuts and drinks, before the presents were opened and appreciated. Then it was off to play some more while the adults relaxed in the shade. 

J is the same age as Eli but nearly a foot taller. J was about to spray Eli with his super soaker, and then came over and sprayed D and I too. The temperature had reached 27C (80F) so it felt good!

By shortly after 4 p.m. everyone was heading home. I'd loaded the cars while D handed out treat bags to the invited party guests. (There were at least three kids who crashed the party and while she gave them donuts and drinks, she didn't have extra treat bags.) I took Eli home and unloaded my car while he chilled with his I-pad. D had run to grab us a bite to eat, and after helping her unload her car, we ate before I headed out for home.

It was a wonderful weekend, making great memories with Eli and his mom. I'm grateful for the time I get to spend with them, and know that it won't be long before our big boy won't want to hang with G'ma quite so much. For now, I'll enjoy every minute of it.


9 comments:

  1. I love your description of the weekend. How Eli crawls up with you on the couch to sleep, i think he'll want to stay close to G'ma for many years to come.
    Fun party. He is such a little cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, fun weekend! You're right, these are things Eli will remember for his entire life--the experiences and feelings, not the "stuff" that was given. I can imagine that you appreciated your own bed, though, once you were home! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful visit with D and Eli. I love the photos.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember waking up excited about the day to come - and trying to sleep the night before - though it was usually Christmas that was at the centre of my anticipation. What a long time ago. I hope Eli retains at least the recollection of his feelings for such times. What fun childhood can be with the right parents and grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right. Enjoy every minute now. You are making wonderful memories! What a lovely visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the grandchildren every chance you get. Based on my experience they drift away a little in their teens but once they pass twenty or so they tend to drift back into your orbit. My problem is that they live far away and we don't see them all that often. They have turned out well though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear, I would have LOVED to have been there for the day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!