Saturday 2 September 2023

A slight reprieve

The paperwork was finally completed on Tuesday, after my agent received the back-dated document. Initially, I had decided not to sign it, and let the deal die, but after some discussion about the legalities, it was decided I'd best sign and let the matter run its course. The buyers have until September 15 to sell their house - which means they'll need to have a conditional sale agreement no later than September 8. If they don't they won't have enough time to complete the process. 

C did not make an offer on the house we saw on Monday, as he'd found another place he wanted to see first. It was a smaller house but with a basement, with a yard that would require less work, and space to build a garage. He contacted the city on Wednesday to verify that a garage could be built in the future. We went to look at it on Thursday and discovered two things: it has a concrete block basement and the furnace was originally installed in 1995. Although it was cute, it was a no go. He's decided against the other property too, now that he's seen that the funds he has can get him something nicer. Unfortunately there isn't anything in the area he wants to live so we'll continue to keep looking.

It's been a quiet week with no showings. I've been keeping up with the housework, watering the containers, and doing a bit of knitting. I pulled all the tomatoes this week as they were looking past their prime, and cut back the ferns in the front flower bed as they were dying back. One can readily see the hostas now, though the bergenia takes center stage. 


I did get out to Stitch and Chat on Wednesday, there were just the three of us there. I took along a small plate of zucchini loaf. My SIL had given me a small zucchini and a cucumber on the weekend. I grated up the zucchini and made the loaf earlier this week. It tasted so good, that I was eating far too much of it, so I thought I'd let the other ladies help me with it. (They didn't eat much agreed it tasted good.)

After the disappointment of Thursday's viewings, C had spent some time on the realtor website looking for other options. He told me about one property that would need quite a bit of work - mostly painting, but is a decent size. He couldn't recall the address though, so I spent an hour Friday morning, looking through the various listings. It took me awhile but I found it, along with several other properties. 

I decided to do a drive by the list of ten properties, and was able to cross off five of them for various reasons, either a bad location or too run-down based on the exterior. In a couple of cases, both issues were true. He and went through the remainder and reduced the number to three or four.  Of those, I think we'll try to see a couple next week. It's the long weekend here, and with the need to wait on the buyers for my property, waiting a few days won't likely be an issue. As three of the properties have been on the market for over 90 days, so there might be a deal to be had. We'll see.

Earlier in the week, my realtor had mentioned about talking to other realtors who had clients who had been through the house, or who were interested in seeing it, in the hopes of a possible back-up offer. Basically, that simply means, if the first deal falls through, whoever has the first back-up offer in place has first dibs. I didn't hear anything more, so assumed that wasn't likely to happen. However, on Friday evening, he texted me to say a couple from Calgary would be in the city this weekend and wanted to view the house on Sunday afternoon. Of course, I said yes! Apparently they lived in Regina previously, in a house with a similar lay-out. I'd love to post on Monday that we have a back-up offer, but there is no guarantee. Their nostalgia for another house may not translate into liking this one enough to make an offer that might never come to fruition. Time will tell.

This morning, I've got more housework to do, a lawn to mow, and a good watering of it to be done. We're back in the heat (33C/91F) today and only slightly cooler on Sunday. I'll do the outdoor chores early this morning before the heat gets too much for me. 

Have a great week ahead everyone!


21 comments:

  1. I had to go back a few posts to get caught up on what's happening in your world. I'm exhausted just reading it! I think I should have gone farther back because I'm unsure if you will be living with your son after your house is sold, or if you have other plans. I hope everything works out well and you get a fantastic price for your property. I know what real estate has been like in Ontario over the past three years or so. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been exhausting, but this week was actually quite relaxing. I will be living with my son, and my daughter, and travelling. At least that's the plan.
      The offer I received was good - there just has to be some follow through from the buyers or I'm going to be doing it all over again.

      Delete
  2. Well I guess my thinking is it will happen when it is supposed to happen. Right person - right time. Hang in there. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but as the seller I'd like that right person, right time to be sooner rather than later. It isn't a good look when a property is listed and doesn't sell for months and months. Nor is it fun to be constantly on alert for the next showing.

      Delete
  3. What a roller coaster for you both. I really hope you get a solid offer on your house (if this deal falls through) and that your son finds the right house and property. Like the person who first commented, I'm exhausted too -- all the ups and downs! What a crazy ride, one that I hope soon comes to an end for you both. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I had high hopes for this deal and the thought of the wasted time is annoying to me. They had an open house yesterday, so hopefully there were some interested buyers that went through.

      Delete
  4. Much better to hold out for just what feels right, rather than go with a good deal in a good amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good feeling about the original offer, but I'm starting to doubt myself now. As for C, we'll find something - it may not be completely move in ready, but we'll manage.

      Delete
  5. It sounds hopeful in terms of your sale. I hope you find something soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost glad that we haven't, as I want to be sure this place is actually sold first. There are a number of vacant properties we've viewed, so the timing isn't as much of an issue. If, however, we end up with someone who has to find and move as well, then we'll have to look at a later possession date (for my house) or find a place to rent short term.

      Delete
  6. Hope it all works out. It is good that they have a time line, that way you won't be waiting a long time. Your Bergenia is liking its spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie.
      I planted the bergenia the first spring we lived here (12 years ago) and have split it once already. It always looks awful in the spring but comes back amazing well.

      Delete
  7. We are in the throes of discussing a down-sizing more and I dread all the hassle and paperwork that may face us. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second kick at the can with this house. I had it listed for nearly 6 months in 2019 and it did not sell. As it turned out that was likely for the best.
      I had done a lot of purging and decluttering back then, and moving isn't going to be a big issue.
      But yes, the listing/selling/buying process can be very challenging. My realtor has been a big help, though had I gone with the price I had in mind, this would have been a done deal by now.

      Delete
  8. I would probably have my house razed if I had to have the patience you have! Kidding of course, One would have to sell to enable buying another. BUT I would be pretty impatient. (which also does not a whit of good).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that would be one way to ensure I get rid of the house. :p
      I'm really not patient at all, but I can't change what's happening. Instead I try to keep busy, though I've had a day this week when I had a small pity party.

      Delete
  9. Selling a house is such a pain. So much uncertainty. We lucked out in Tucson, two people looked at it, one of them bought it at full price. We'd already bought another house in Spokane, so we lucked out on their offer. Never have I been so relieved to be closing on that house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first house I sold, was sold in one day as the realtor brought over another realtor who purchased it as a rental. My second house sold in just a week. This one however, has been a problem, but things seem to be looking up.
      Selling is definitely more painful that buying!

      Delete
  10. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I had hoped that when I got back you would have been doing a happy dance.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!