Saturday 7 September 2024

Proud moment in an otherwise normal week

Before I blather on about my week, I thought I'd share this photo of my handsome grandson. Tuesday marked back to school for Eli, now entering Grade 2! How the heck did that happen?

The sign seems to suggest he is 75 years old, but I'm guessing my old eyes aren't seeing the . because he's actually 7 1/2 years old. 

He's not looking happy in the photo because the wasps have settled under the front steps; he's worried he might get stung. My daughter and I have discussed how to get rid of them.

He had a wonderful first day back and was happy to see more of his friends on the playground. 

Back here in the city, I spent a the weekend mornings in the yard. The front flower bed has been weeded, the hedge clipped, and the side and back patio cleared of weeds as well. I started the process in the backyard of cutting down small trees that have grown a ridiculous amount over the two months I was a away. We could have a forest back there if I left them be. Hmmm...maybe that's an idea. The neighbours to the north were away over the weekend, so I was able to trim the hedge on their side as well. I used the rake and broom to clean up the trimmings as well as clear out leaves that weren't cleaned up last fall. 

We got heat all weekend and into Tuesday (30C/86F most days). As a result, I was back indoors before lunch and mostly stayed there for the rest of the day. I did run out on Sunday to pick up more Round-up for the backyard weeds and later spent an hour or so in the shade reading.

By Tuesday, my right arm was aching from the all of the digging and pulling so I decided to take the day off. My first stop was at Canadian Tire (hardware store) for a garden fork. It should help loosen the weeds more than my little hand trowel, and make pulling easier. Value Village and the Salvation Army store followed - it was Senior's Day. I found a couple of new tops, a pullover sweater, two James Patterson books, and a set of small glass bowls with lids. All for $25 - I do like a bargain.

I've spent the afternoons watching football, baseball, reading, and crocheting. I'm working on a lap afghan but I expect I'll run out of the yarn I'm working with before it is finished. Of course, it is some remnants from my stash so I don't have more of the same. I cleared out the closet and moved the stash into the cubby under the stairs. I'm certain I have enough of similar colours that I'll likely make it longer and try to create a gradient effect. If I like it, I'll take a photo later.

Wednesday was knitting group - the first I've been too since ... I don't remember when! I know it's been months. Two other ladies were there and they sounded happy to see me. We had a nice visit and I got a good start on another mitten.

I'd spent a couple of hours that morning working on the weeds in the back yard. The garden fork is helping loosen the dirt but our clay soil is like concrete in many places. We had a bit of rain overnight so that helped a wee bit. After filling two large garbage bags with waste I was done for the day and desperately needed a shower.

We woke to a cold morning on Thursday - a mere 1C(34F). I decided I'd wait until later in the day to do more weeding, and took the opportunity to have a relaxed start to the morning. Mid-morning I did my grocery shopping for the week, mostly sale items and more fresh veg and fruit, and started dinner when I got home. Since the house is cool, I decided on a pasta bake. I like that I can put it together early in the day, and wait until my son gets home to put it in the oven. Housework took up most of the afternoon. 

Friday morning was a little warmer, 7C/45F but felt chilly. I put off heading in the yard and started a batch of dough instead. I used the rise time to catch up on the budget update. After a few months, I am seeing a huge increase in grocery costs when in town versus the city. When I return at the end of October, I'll take advantage of the lower prices here - maybe that will ease the pain of the costs in a rural area.

Oh, curling started on Friday too. I was able to stream a couple of draws in the morning. Between curling, baseball, and football, I'll never lack for something to watch for the next while.

Today, I'll have to shelve the curling in the morning as we're expecting a high of 31C (88F) this afternoon because I need to get more weeding done. With that said, I'm off to get a cup of tea and head outdoors.

Have a great week ahead everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Such extremes in temperature! It is cooler here but 12-15 C at night. That is so nice compared to the 20s at night the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it was 32C yesterday, we dropped to 9C overnight. I've got the windows open for now, but will close them soon as we're heading back up to 33C. I know it won't last more than a day or so and we'll be back into normal fall temperatures.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. His mother attended (and Eli is) French immersion. Measurements like 1/2 are expressed with the decimal and I knew that...but couldn't see the decimal.

      Delete
  3. My how quickly they grow up. Such a handsome young man. Hope he has a great year.
    Enjoy your weekend and get a little rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, he had a terrific first week at school. Both his E.A. and his teacher have noted how much he as matured over the summer.
      I've done some weeding but much of yesterday was spent watching sports. :)

      Delete
  4. you should crochet a wasp nest...I find it works great to keep them at bay. I just crochet around and around adding stitches each round. When it looks like a v shape I crochet a long piece for the draw string and hanger stuff it with plastic bags and then seal the whole thing with modge podge so it can take some rain. I hope Eli likes school! That is the weather here too cooler morning and warmer afternoons. Back into the 80's again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, I'll definitely look at crocheting a wasps nest. Anything to keep them out of the yard.
      Eli had a wonderful first week, though he was very tired by Friday.

      Delete
  5. That's a good pic of Eli, even if he was unhappy about the wasps at the time. I would be too! But grade 2 already? That seems mind-boggling to me, how quickly the years have passed.

    Your temp swings are wild! Extreme is the word. We had 70mm of rain overnight and this morning (I have a rain gauge), but our temps are fairly stable, nothing like your seesaw.

    Have a great weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I look back and wonder where the time went. It doesn't seem that long ago, he was still a toddler.
      I would take your rain in a heartbeat. The ground in the back yard is almost concrete as this point, but the weeds don't seem to mind.

      Delete
  6. A handsome young boy, with his life ahead of him. To some extent we start to live our lives again through grandchildren. I have a great relationship with mine but they don’t live close so I don’t see them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. He has his challenges but he's bright and curious.
      I'm fortunate to be so close and only having one, makes it easier to spend time together.

      Delete
  7. That Eli is such a cutie. Glad to hear his first week went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! I think he's pretty darned cute too. :)

      Delete
  8. I get the look on your grandson’s face, My daughter is afraid of wasps and bees too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!