Thursday 5 September 2024

Tasty Thursday



I don't expect this will be repeated very often, but I tried a new-to-me (with substitutions) recipe and thought I would take a moment to share.

One evening in the past week, I was craving baked beans and wieners, grabbed a can from the pantry and opened it to discover in my haste, I'd gotten a can of red kidney beans.  I put the can in the fridge while I got the right can and had my dinner. Don't judge me, it was hot that evening and I wanted something I could heat up in the microwave.

I knew I didn't want to make chili - my go-to recipe for kidney beans, so searched Allrecipes.com for something else. What I found was a kidney bean salad made similarly to a potato salad. I figured why not give it a try.

The orginal recipe was double what I needed/wanted and I was missing a few original ingredients. No matter, I made do with what was in the fridge. The measurements below are half of the original recipe.

1 can (15 oz.) of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 hard boiled egg (I used two)
1 stalk celery (I used cucumber for crunch instead)
1/2 onion chopped (I substitued 2 green onions)
1 tablespoon of sweet green relish (I had none)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip*)
Salt and pepper to taste

I also added some tomato for colour because I figured they would go well with the kidney beans. It is a very versatile recipe as one could add whatever veg is available or preferred. 

*Since Miracle Whip contains sugar I figured it would make up for the sweet relish.

The photo is today's lunch. Lots of protein with the beans and cheese and lots of yummy vegetables. I read somewhere that eating veg with dip is easier for digestion. Who am I to argue? 

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes things turn out for the best! The new recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good. I love experimenting with food and enjoy hearing how others do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like bean salad. That used to be a favorite of Glen's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all beans and that slad sounds like a quick and easy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that looks very tasty. Thanks for sharing.... I just need to figure out if Harvey would eat it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great little recipe, easy to make and looks quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks good, and even better, easy! So easy that even I would make it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!