We did get out on Monday to do some yardwork. D took care of tree branches that were overhanging the front sidewalk and the garage out back, as well as cutting out a smaller elm tree that was growing among the roses. I'd got some of the branches of the elm tree last week but the trunk was too big around for my clippers. To assist I hauled branches to the brush pile - we'll have all of it hauled away in the next couple of weeks along with the bags of yard waste from my weeding efforts. D also cleaned gutters on the garage and on one side of the house. Our ladder is only 6 feet tall (picked up at a garage sale) and the house gutters are difficult to get to - we'll have to keep our eyes open for an 8 foot stepladder. She did a great job and we didn't have to pay someone to do the work!
As a result I didn't make it into the thrift store on Monday for the cleaning day. Next week for sure! With the cooler weather I've been spending more time indoors; I've caught up on my budget spreadsheets, updated a document of personal information, and spent a lot of time on Ancestry. I thought I was getting close to reviewing all of the hints available, but every time I'd re-open the program there would be more. I'm not liking the changes they've made though - they've made the review of hints more onerous and there are some hints that are so clearly incorrect...I'll bet money more AI is "helping" with the collection.
Wednesday, the city showed up in the morning to (finally) clear the empty lots across the street. We had contacted the commissionaire in the spring about the height of the grass and weeds, but nothing was done until now. It took a good 90 minutes for the fellow on the mower to knock it all down and run over it a couple more times to mulch it. Meanwhile another worker used the weedwhacker to edge the sidewalk, and removed some low branches on the trees. The after and before photos below will give you and idea of how tall the grass and weeds had gotten.
Later I attended Knit and Natter in the evening. When I arrived the part-time librarian S and a 9 year old boy were waiting for me. They asked if I could teach them to crochet or knit. Oh my, I'm not much of a teacher but we all tried. N (the boy) couldn't get a handle on how to hold the crochet hook, but we got him started on a pair of knitting needles. I showed him a simple way of casting on which he managed well enough (just 10 stitches). He struggled with the first knit row, so I knit it for him demonstrating the technique. I was impressed as he was able to carry on for four or five rows. He did add a few extra stitches and dropped one or two, but for a first attempt he did great. S picked up the crochet hook and made a chain but gave up when she started the single crochet row. She watched a few videos on her phone while we chatted and I kept an eye on N's progress.
Thursday evening the landlord next door (not the fence landlord) arrived to start the clean-up of the property. (I'll call her GL - short for good landlord). If you recall the tenant left in May and the landlord went through the proper channels to officially evict him by the end of June. GL told D she had then gone through the authorities to determine what could be done with the possessions he left behind. The provinicial authority has given her permission to get rid of things. She and D went into the house, and it was clear he had taken only items that were useful to him and left pretty much everything that were the children's including their beds, toys, and much of their clothing. There was also a nearly full pantry of food! Yet we never saw him bring more than a few bags of food into the house. It turns out that almost everything in the house was donated to the family. The deacon of the Catholic church was by as well, and has agreed to to pick up and storee some of the more useful items to pass on to other needy families in the community.
I suspect it will take GL a few weeks to clear out the trash and other items from the house. She has another tenant who will be moving in when the property is ready. We're told she, the new tenant, is quiet and respectful and very clean. D and I are both looking forward to meeting her.
On the other hand, the rental unit on the other side has been interesting for different reasons. The original renters, two elderly people, seem to be running some sort of a short term transistion home. Neither R or K actually live there, instead there have been two different family groups in the last six months or so. It started with the son, then his three children and is now a family of four, parents and two children. At the end of the school year, the first group of children left with someone we assume is their mother. The son disappeared shortly thereafter and now this new family has moved in. R shows up on a weekly basis with groceries. Not sure what is happening there but the LND has already said he doesn't care who lives there so long as the rent is paid on time.
Garden update: I've continued to water every evening, though this week it's much less frequent and less volume. Picking included peas, cucumbers and more lettuce. The latter is amazing me, I cut it one day and it seems to fill in the next. The corn is showing tassles but still no silk. Hopefully I'll see signs of ears soon. The potato plants are starting to die back, so I expect I'll be harvesting those by the end of the month. Tomatoes continue to fill out but have yet to start ripening.
I've written notes in my gardening journal about the successes and failures (thus far) so that I can plan better for next year. Radish and peppers will be grown in containers, with the goal of keeping both in more shaded areas. The cucumbers have nearly outgrown their trellis (as did the peas) so I'll be looking for better and taller supports. I've also made a list of annuals to purchase next year...and that includes gerbera daisies!
Today we're off to a community an hour away. They are having a parade and a town wide garage sale. We know Eli will enjoy the parade, and D and I are hopeful we'll find some treasures. This is the community that has a swimming pool with a lazy river as well as waterslides. Hopefully we'll be able to make a stop there as well.
Have a great week ahead everyone!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!