Thursday, 20 August 2026

Road Trip

We're experiencing August weather; that means warm days and cool nights. No frost in the forecast yet, which is good because so much of the garden hasn't reached maturity yet. The photo on Wednesday was the first tomato to be almost ripe - enough I couldn't keep from picking it! The pop can easily just there for scale...no secret meaning at all.

I'm posting this on Thursday because I'm heading to Alberta to visit a friend for the weekend. S had rotator cuff surgery in early July, and until recently she's been in a lot of pain. But she called on the weekend, saying she's bored and asked if I'd consider making a visit. Apparently, she's been spending her time putting together jigsaw puzzles one handed. She's now sleeping better and she's planning to go back to work in the next few weeks. This is my friend S, who "retired" a year after I did, but has been working on contract ever since. In any event, it is an 8 hour drive one way, so I'm leaving early today and will return home on Sunday.

This week, I did my shift at the thrift store on Monday. I was part of the cleaning crew, while others worked the sorting area. When I checked the donation bin on the way in, it was half full, and when we reached the outer doors of the thrift store we found more piles. AND when I left a van was pulled up and a couple were filling the bin again. We certainly never run out of new items for sale. I, being a good girl this week, came home with nothing. :)

Tuesday, D and Eli had a full day in NTO. He went to morning program, then to the splash pad with his afternoon group. After time for a quick snack, he had a session with his therapist. She was amazed at how he is reading - apparently he wanted her to see his progress. Meanwhile I used the time to be productive in the house; sweeping and vacuuming floors, mopping floors, cleaning the bathroom, and tidying my bedroom. Outside, I pulled the peas as they were drying off at the bottom, and planted the spirea bush. In the evening, I watered the garden and did some dead-heading.

I also worked on the Christmas ornaments for the important people at Eli's school; principal, teachers, EAs, and school counselor s. That's eight ib total.

It's hard to believe that the summer has flown by and Eli will be back in school in two weeks. I know school returns in August in some locations but here in Saskatchewan the return to school happens after the Labour Day weekend. Eli will be in Grade 4! Like so many kids, he's grown over the summer including his feet. Good thing his mom is prepared and has shoes for the next two sizes. She buys them on sale and tucks them away knowing they will be needed. No last minute back to school shopping required. 

Wednesday was pretty quiet. I made sure things were well watered, dead-headed, and got rid of a few more weeds. Indoors, I got my bag ready to go for my trip. In the evening I went to the library for Knit and Natter. I was joined by a woman who lives an hour away. That's seems a lot...though she said she'd come to town to shop and decided to stay for the group.

I should be on the road shortly after this publishes. I plan to stop about halfway for a break. D and Eli will be off to NTO for his morning program and then back home. He was invited to join the group from Tuesday afternoon at the swimming pool here in town. Another busy day for the two of them.

The only photos I've taken this week besides the tomato are these two: the removal of the wall next to the furnace and the after photo. The latter was taken after we'd set up the shelving and D had moved a lot of Eli's toys from the other areas in the basement.  Yes, he has a lot of toys!



Sorry for the different fonts. I'm using my phone and I can't figure out how to highlight and change it. So I'd have to retype it...and I'm too lazy to do that. :)

I expect I'll post again on Monday when I've returned from my road trip. Have a great weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!