Saturday, 12 September 2026

Weather woes, cat worries, and lots of harvesting

We got rain, a lot of it, over Sunday and Monday. The first day we saw 52 millimeters and the following day another 20 millimeters. That is approximately 3 inches in total. The worst of it was the inch or so that fell in less than an hour on Sunday. Again, we had water in the basement, through the one window well. I'm considering digging out the well and added a layer of heavy plastic to cover the bottom and sides, then a layer of rock, and replacing the window well cover. The one I have doesn't fit snugly so I'll have to do some finagling to get it to fit better. There's a bit of a low spot in the pavement which creates an issue I can't correct. The window and it's rotting wooden frame is the big issue, but that will have to wait until spring to be dealt with. 

Regina had a deluge of even more rain. I've heard four inches on Sunday alone. A friend posted video of her street; their car had water up past the wheel wells, and across the street cars had been moved by the current and were perpendicular to the sidewalk. More fell on Monday, and my son called to tell me his basement was flooding as well. He contacted a plumber who came out and removed the drain cover to allow the water to flow. C is going to have to arrange to have a sump pump installed soon, and this was a good reminder to him why he needs to clean the gutters regularly!

Tuesday started out with a bit of sun but it soon clouded over. Oh, and the wind! My corn stalks were nearly blown over by this point. The gazebo frame had been pulled out of the pots of sand that we use to stablilize them - thank goodness we have it staked down too, or I think it might have ended up a few doors down. 

I did my grocery shopping, mostly sale items and D dropped her vehicle off at the dealership for some warranty work. What was supposed to take about 45 minutes stretched on into the afternoon. Part of this was a software update that took far longer than expected. We did a bit of housework in the morning before Eli came home from school at noon. Then the two of them were off to equine therapy and Eli's haircut. That meant I had much of the afternoon to myself.

Wednesday, we had sun in the morning, hooray! But it also started with some not so needed excitement. Stanley, D's cat - age 11, was exhibiting behaviours that had us thinking he had a blockage of some sort. A few years ago, she lost her Sheldon to a twisted bowel, and of course, our minds went to the worst case scenario. She called the local vet office when they opened at 7:30 and we were able to take him in immediately. The vet's examination indicated a urinary tract blockage and surgery was required. By lunchtime, they had called to say the surgery went well, he was cranky but resting. He remained at the clinic until the following day.

Meanwhile I kept D outside after she dropped Eli at school. We took down the gazebo, dug potatoes, picked the remaining tomatoes and cucumbers, and put away some of the decorative items. The cucumbers were quite the surprise as the two were well hidden in the foliage. Both are overripe, one more so than the other. I plan to keep the largest one on the counter for a few days and harvest seeds from it for planting next year. 

I continued to toil away when she'd had enough, then I harvested the basil and oregano, and weeded the raised beds. Everything was cleared out except the marigolds, oregano, and the green onions. The latter were left for harvesting on Thursday. I determined that the oregano is hardy to Zone 4. We're more in Zone 3 than 4, but with a good covering of straw and leaves, I'm hopeful it will survive the winter.




In the evening, I headed to the library for Knit and Natter. Another new woman joined me, she hasn't knitted in 40 years but thought she'd try it again. Good on her! She brought her knitting needles, some yarn and a few patterns. After some thought, she decided to start with a slouch beanie, knit flat and seamed. The pattern was a lousy one (in my mind) as it didn't give instructions for the number of stitches required to start. I recommended she start with a swatch to decide the opening row. I worked on my cross-stitch ornament. It is taking forever as I have to change colours frequently. Also, because I have had time to work on it at home either.

Thursday morning was busy, with more harvesting of corn and green onions. I didn't have great luck with the corn, just six small cobs. That was likely my fault because I planted it in rows and apparently they prefer to be planted in a square pattern. I also planted them behind the potatoes which grew faster than the corn and shaded them for a good part of the summer. We'll get a decent feed from them, as part of our Sunday dinner this week.

Potatoes were peeled for hash browns, and after blanching set on a tray to dry a bit before going into the freezer. The green onions were cleaned; some went into the fridge for use this week, while the rest was chopped up to be frozen. I added about a tablespoon to the slots in an ice cube tray, then added a bit of water to cover. We can use those over the next while in various dishes. 

I had washed and dried the basil the day prior, along with dehyrdrating the oregano. D and I made a small batch of pesto with the basil. Friday night's dinner is a chicken pizza and we'll be using the pesto as the base. It tasted delicious on the spoon, so I was sure it would be fantastic on the pizza.

D and Eli left to go to NTO about 2 p.m. and I took advantage of their absence to sweep and mop the kitchen floor. I'm not the neatest prep cook. :) After a bit of a rest, I headed over to the vet clinic to pick up Stanley. After I paid the bill and got instructions, they asked if I would go to the back to get him into the carrier for the ride home. Apparently, he'd been quite cranky with them. He seemed pretty happy to see me, but still fought going into the carrier a little. But he didn't fuss at all on the way home. I brought him into the house to the front porch as we'll keep him isolated from Spencer and Saku for a few days. Of course, they're curious and he wants to be in the main part of the house. Trying to get in and out of the porch without a cat escaping can be a challenge. 

The librarian had given me a bag of white onions on Wednesday evening (in exchange for some tomatoes...though she didn't need to do that). Friday morning, was spent peeling and chopping onions, some were carmelized and some were dehydrated for onion powder. The remaining half dozen were tucked in the pantry for cooking. When cooled the majority of the carmelized onions were placed in ice cube trays for future use, though I put some in a bag for our pizza. It was a very flavourful pizza with pesto, carmelized onions, BBQ chicken and of course, ooey gooey cheese. :)

Meanwhile I also cut up more potatoes for French fries. Some became my lunch. They do take a little longer to air fry, but definitely worth it to me. There is still a container of potatoes to be dealt with. We'll have some with our Sunday dinner, but I suspect I'll be making more hashbrowns and fries over the next several days. I do wish we had some cold storage! Next year, I'll just plant a couple of hills.

Garden update: The only thing remaining to be brought in are the carrots. We may see a mild frost this weekend, so I'll leave them out until early next week. Mom always said they tasted sweeter after the first frost. I must say the ones I've had so far were plenty sweet...but one should listen to their mother, right?

I'll keep watering the flower containers (has not been needed this week since the rain). But it won't be long before the plants start dying back. I'll pull a few more marigold seeds and perhaps the pansies. The good landlord has given me permission to harvest seeds from their hollyhocks as well. 

There are four CFL games on Saturday - I'm guessing scheduling has something to do with the NFL. Hence, I'll be doing not much of anything. Maybe I can work on my cross-stitch.

This post is getting incredibly long...and probably very boring. I'll end it now with a photo of my granddog Sage and her bestie, Kota. 



Have a great week ahead everyone!



13 comments:

  1. Good morning. Had to come and check if you had posted - as blogger is still not updating. I have learned to just check on normal days people post - only way to see new things.
    So sorry kitty ad to go through surgery, but glad he is doing well. Poor baby.
    I was floored hearing you have pulled out all the garden, as ours are still going strong - then you mentioned frost in the area. OH MY!!! That is just amazing that it happens so early for you. Sorry your area got so much rain - that can sure cause a lot of problems. Hope you get the basement issues fixed easily.
    Hope you have a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl.
      More rain again today, just over an inch when I last checked. We were lucky that the frost missed us, it reached 1C/34F.but many other areas of the province were hit hard. I was still glad I'd brought in the garden produce.

      Delete
  2. This made me very, very hungry! I know it's a lot of work, I grew up on a farm, but I always loved our own big harvest right before the start of school. We're expecting big storms today in Pittsburgh and frankly I'm looking forward to them. Loved the photo of Sage and Koto. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug.
      My favorite meal in early fall was baked potatoes, corn on the cob and hamburger patties, with baked apples for dessert. Eli really enjoyed the corn on the cob, so I'll be growing more next year. :)
      I'll have to find a video of Sage and Kota playing...they're a hoot.
      Stay safe through the storms.

      Delete
  3. Poor Stanley! I'm so glad you got him in right away. Did the vet recommend a wet diet going forward, if you don't already feed canned? Cats are noted for not drinking enough water. Anyway, I'm wishing him a speedy recovery. ❤️

    Between that and the rain, there was a bit too much adventure of the unwanted kind!

    You did so well with your garden! I'm impressed with your green thumb. ๐Ÿฅ• ๐Ÿฅ” ๐ŸŒฝ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I've been feeding the cats wet food for at least 10 years, but Stanley wasn't much for drinking water. He's now on a special diet of wet and dry food meant for urinary care. The other cats are still on the regular canned food but we've switched them to the kibble as well. Meanwhile Stanley seems to be healing up quickly - he's jumping up on the tower, onto the window sill, and making a mad dash for anywhere else after we give him his meds. :) He's got a couple more days of Gabepentin, and three days of an antibiotic for his UTI.
      I am pleased with my garden, and have made copious notes to refer to for next year's adventure.

      Delete
  4. You have been doing a lot of gardening, harvesting and tending.
    I am sorry Stanley had some issues but am glad he is on the mend.
    We are enjoying SEC football now and feel no need to watch Pro football (Though with NIL and the portal in college football it is almost like the college kids are free agents)
    Now get busy getting your early Christmas together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne.
      I didn't manage to stay awake for the 4th game, and our team didn't win their game so I wasn't very happy. But curling has started so I'm happy.
      Yep, I think I need someone to crack the whip. I should be stitching while I"m watching the curling, but I'm not. :)

      Delete
  5. Cute cat and dog! Poor Stanley but you are lucky to get him in to see a Vet so quickly! Nice garden produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie.
      We were very lucky. When D called the vet, the receptionist spoke to one of the vets and they postponed other surgeries to get him in quickly. I was very impressed.

      Delete

  6. I hope Stanley is feeling better, you were very lucky to catch this and the vet to be able to take him so soon.
    We did not get as much rain as you, but the garden was very wet which made harvesting a bit of a problem. We also covered everything on Sunday as they were forecasting a frost, which did not happen.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie.
      More rain in the forecast, I do hope your harvesting goes well.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with Stanley. You have been incredibly busy my dear. It's funny how we learned from one year of planting how much more or how much less we need to plant the following year. I had so many cherry tomatoes that I know I won't be planting as many next year and I never have luck with beef steak tomatoes so why even bother. I'll just stick with the medium size ones whichever one they are.
    You have had a lot of rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!