Sunday 9 July 2017

Baby, it's hot outside!

We're into our second week of temperatures between 28 and 32C.  While I appreciate it I must admit I've been keeping on eye on the weather channel.  It would not be unusual for thunderstorms to develop.  But so far, the skies have been clear.

I spent this morning out in the backyard.  I got the lawn mowed, oh my goodness it grows so quickly, gave it a good soaking, did some weeding around the deck and sheds, and then sat and enjoyed the weather with a book.  I'm currently reading Lisa Jackson's "Never Die Alone".  It is a thriller, set in Louisiana, about the investigation of a serial killer who targets twins.  I haven't read her earlier books, but this appears to be the latest of a series of eight books following one of the investigators.  I've only read about 100 pages but it is definitely a story that is easy to get into - and so far, the gruesome bits have been minimal.  I expect that won't last.

This afternoon, I decided to head over to Winners/Home Sense for a wander. I really had nothing particular to shop for but I'm always happy to find a bargain. The first item that caught my eye was this little glass elephant.

At first I walked away from it, but soon came back because I realized it would make a perfect Christmas gift for a close friend.  She has quite a collection of elephants, but I've never seen a glass one in her home.  Score! One gift off the list.

I wandered around for a bit with this lonely item in my cart before making my way to the back of the store where most of the clearance items can be found.

Although their idea and mine of clearance pricing is a bit different, I was happy to find two of these towels at a slightly reduced price.  I love the colors and couldn't resist.  The colors in the main bathroom are grey, cream, white and navy so these add a little punch of color.  Plus who doesn't like new towels occasionally?

I checked for candles but none of them piqued my interest.  I'd got a couple earlier this year with a peony aroma, but of course, those have been sold out.  I did a walk through the furniture just for fun as I doubt anything would have fit in my car.  That took me to the Winners side of the store where I don't often have much luck; everything I like is usually the wrong size and since the store only carries one or two of each item I generally leave feeling frustrated.

Not today though.  I bought this dress a couple of weeks ago at, of all place, Superstore. It was inexpensive and I thought it would be a good piece to take with me on my fall cruise for evening wear. 

Since it is sleeveless I knew I'd want a sweater to go with it but there was nothing at S.S.  I took a chance today and checked out the sweater and there it was!  It's a light weight sweater with ruching at the shoulders and a nice drape to it.

It will go perfectly with other pieces I have as well.  I tend to stick to neutrals when I'm travelling so I can mix and match.  Navy, black, white, cream and greens are mainstays.  And of course, when one is packing light weight items are a must.  

I know it might sound odd, but I never wear dresses except when I'm cruising.  For work, I tend to stick to slacks and sleeveless tops under a sweater or jacket.  (Though I've quit wearing jackets as much and gone more to the sweaters, someday I hope to rid my closet of the jackets I've gathered up through the years, the sweaters are more likely to remain in my wardrobe).

It turned out to be a surprisingly good shopping trip.  I picked a couple of books, "Good Vibrations" by Mike Love of the Beach Boys, and "The Bridge Ladies" a memoir by Betsy Lerner.  I may give the first book to my older brother but haven't decided that as yet.  I've never been a big music buff, so my memories of the Beach Boys is limited but it looked like an interesting book and at $5 was the right price. The second book I've heard of but never read
; the author shares the story of reconciling with her mother.  I'm not sure when I'll get around to reading either of them as there is a stack in the bedroom I haven't started yet.  Good thing they don't spoil. :)

********
This little guy turned four months a week ago!  My daughter took him to the public health nurse for his shots on Wednesday and posted this picture on Facebook.  Check out those roly-poly thighs!

He weighed in at this appointment at 17 lbs. 1 oz., measuring 25 inches in length, and he handled to vaccines like a trooper.

Friday, D and I took him to his 4 month appointment with the doctor.  That day, he weighed in at 16 lbs. 1 oz, measuring 25 inches in length.  I highly doubt he lost a pound in 2 days, and it is more likely the nurse did not properly convert his weight.

I laughed, as he talked to the doctor through the entire appointment.  Happy talk, no tears at all.  When the doctor held Eli's hand, the little stinker pulled himself to a sitting position.  I think Dr. J. was slightly surprised and then he helped Eli to stand, a position he absolutely loves to be in.  Everything is good, he's healthy and reaching all the milestones expected.  Although this picture doesn't show it, he's usually smiling and is starting to giggle and laugh.  Love this kid!

********
I'll end this post with a couple of photos of the containers on the back deck this morning.  Have a great week everyone!




3 comments:

  1. We've been hearing about your hot weather! I'm glad our temps are cooler this summer, though our rain continues.

    Isn't Eli just a sweetie? He's growing like a weed, like healthy babies should. :-)

    Great find on both the dress and that sweater! I was in our Winners (separate store from HomeSense) last week, first time in a few years. Found an umbrella. Never impressed with anything else, mostly because I don't care for the store set-up. BTW, it's not strange that you don't wear dresses except while on a cruise. I haven't worn a dress in probably a decade, maybe more, don't own any, or any skirts, either. No way anyone is getting me into any pantyhose, or into heels, for that matter. (Foot issues, wouldn't be able to wear even low pumps or any dressy sandal.)

    Christmas shopping already. Ugh. LOL. I'm glad that's one thing I no longer have to do -- just Mom and Dad and they now get gift cards in nice greeting cards. Easy. (Mom was the hold out, but I said enough is enough last year with the gifts none of us needs or wants.) Good for you for being proactive! By next month the stores will start with their holiday stuff anyway. Sheesh.

    Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is really cute, I've never bought anything clothing-wise from Superstore except underwear. They have certainly upped their game in that area, especially now since Target is no longer around. I have Christmas money saved (and points/GCs) but no shopping yet. I generally start in October unless I see that perfect gift for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little boy wants to get going, doesn't he? Do you think he'll be an explorer, always wanting to see what's around the next corner?

    I always like to think I will buy Christmas gifts early, too, but never get around to it. I'm not lazy, I just don't think about them, and so miss opportunities. Sigh.

    Our temperatures beat yours - but you are definitely the winner with less heat. We had a bit of a thunderstorm here tonight, and it's a little cooler. More evenings like this will make the torid days easier to bear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!