Sunday 16 July 2017

Life can be unpredictable; but sometimes it is not.  Such are the recent changes in my world.

John had asked why my manager would change my workload when I'm nearing retirement.  Well, in fact, it was my choice to make a change....though I didn't quite get what I wanted.

I have been saying for the past year that I wanted someone else to take over my group at least a year before I retire.  My rationale is the work we do is somewhat unique and it takes a little while to get one's head wrapped around the concept.  I know I really started to feel comfortable a year in, so my thoughts were I'd still be around to help the new supervisor.

So when we were asked by our manager and her boss, how we envisioned the office reorganization, I made several recommendations, and at the same time requested a change.  We're in the midst of hiring, the first we've done in nearly 5 years and I was hoping to be given a group of new hires to train.  That's not what I got though.  Instead I have a group with three different workloads AND a project.  

I have lots to learn as one of my staff will be retiring in December.  I'm hopeful we'll be able to train someone to take her place before then, but if not I'd better know how to do her job.  As well, I have some new systems to learn so I can work with the other people in the group.  I'm certain I won't be bored!

And then there is the project.  I've been challenged to create a program to assist the new hires in their learning.  I won't go into the details but over the last couple of weeks I've created a plan that requires the approval of my manager and her boss, discussed with my peers what the program might look like and discussed it with several existing staff who I think may be part of the program.  

In the meantime I've been kept busy with my current group and have been helping with the process to bring in the new hires.  I like being busy and the time has been flying by.  

The other big change, that was not entirely a surprise, is that my daughter has left her boyfriend and moved back in with me.  Now, she did this at 2 a.m. on Friday a.m. so the timing could have been better.  I woke up to the front door opening - my first thought was why was my son coming home so late as I knew he had to work that day, when I called out to him, I was surprised when she answered.

She showed up with the baby and most of his stuff.  Yep, she'd packed the car with his swing, his clothing, diapers, and toys.  She left Eli with me, went back to the house to get another load, as well as her bank card and other set of car keys.  I got the little one settled and back in bed, before I crawled back into my bed.  I was certainly glad I didn't have to work that day!

Later that day, she went back and brought back Sheldon.  As you can see he's a wee kitten, and just a little cutie.  J had threatened to put him outside and let him fend for himself.  While I've never been J's biggest fan, this even further reduced his status in my mind.  

So far the other cats want nothing to to with him.  They will tolerate his presence in the same room, so long as they can watch from afar.  Heaven forbid, should he come within a paw whap away.  I was playing with him on my bed yesterday, when Sami jumped up.  Sheldon did the sideways hop with his best floof on - Sami hissed and let him have a paw.  Then she ran away.  We've been keeping them separated most of the time, Sheldon has D's room, but whenever the other cats are all out in the sun room, we let him out to run and play.  The cat tree, kickaroo, and several of the other neglected toys have been getting quite the workout.

And of course, this means I get to spend more time with Eli.  

He's now four months old and his little personality is really developing.  He's a happy little boy (though he often appears serious in his photos).  He wakes up happy and greets his mom (and grandma) with smiles.

He loves to play on his mat, either on his back or his tummy, and is trying very hard to get himself to a sitting position.  He likes to spend time in his jolly jumper, bouncing and squealing checking out the baby in the mirror we have leaned against the wall opposite.  

He's a lot of fun!  But lots of work.  Between feeding, diaper changes, baths, playing and cuddles he keeps her busy.  He does have three naps a day and sleeps well at night.  Last night he went down at 8:30 p.m. and didn't wake until 3 a.m.  It helps that he has his own room and she doesn't hear his every move.

I'm finding (just 2.5 days in) that I'm missing my "alone" time.  I do retreat to my bedroom or outdoors when the chatter gets too much and, of course, I'll be at work for the next few days.  I know we can't live like this forever though, so have agreed to help my daughter find a place of her own in the next few months.  However, while she's here I've set some ground rules - she is responsible for all the baby's needs (care, food diapers, etc.), must keep their spaces tidy, and pay a small amount of rent to cover the costs of extra groceries and utilities.  

So life has gotten a whole lot more interested/complicated, both at work and at home.  The next few months will be a time of learning, patience, and likely compromise.  

In any event, I have my September cruise to look forward to - today marks 9 weeks to sail-away.  I'm definitely going to be ready for a vacation!

I'll end with a couple of photos from this morning's walk.

Momma duck watching over her babies as they nap by the side of the pond.

And a lone baby duck - his momma was quite the distance a way from him with several other little ones.
He was peeping like mad to get her attention.

Have a great week everyone!


  1. Gees, I don't even know where to start! What comes to mind is that there's no coasting to retirement for you, in any sense -- work or in your personal life. LOL. Maybe that's a good thing.

    Second, oh little Sheldon! Maybe he needs another kitten as a playmate. I know my boys, at their age, wouldn't be keen to have a kitten around, that's for sure. Hopefully everyone will settle down. Will he go with your daughter when she does find a place? If she's going to be tempted to re-home him, please make it now, not later, after he's settled in and become accustomed to his life. Now he easily would find a home, if your daughter's life won't be stable enough to include caring for a cat for 15 to 20 years.

    Third, Eli just keeps getting cuter and cuter. Enjoy the precious time with him...even if it does impinge your on your "alone" time. :-)

    Take care, have a good week.

  2. I wrote this big long paragraph, looked up and nothing was there. More from your blog must have loaded and I was all unaware and typed on. I don't touch type so I was looking at the keyboard. Too lazy to re-write all that now. Sheldon, you are totally adorable

  3. Yup, changes... While I know very little of your daughter's situation, from what you have described, I will venture the opinion that this will be an improvement - in the long run. It does not make your life simpler, though, as you pointed out. But at least she and Eli had a safe place to come to. (It's funny how when babies look serious, they look VERY serious: like Wintson Churchill at a critical moment of the war.)

    I agree with Kim in that if Sheldon needs to go to a new home (newer than yours), it should be now, when he is the best advertisement for himself. That written, it doesn't sound like things are too traumatic among the resident population.


Thanks for stopping by!