Sunday 2 July 2017

Catching up

My poor neglected blog.  Here it sits, sad and lonely while I ....hmmm.... I'm not even certain why I haven't been here for awhile.  It seems time is moving more quickly each passing day.

Work has been incredibly busy.  Two of my work group announced they were leaving in the last few weeks.  In the hubbub that arises from reallocating work to the remainder of the group and taking care of the myriad of other details (equipment, paperwork, performance discussions, etc.) has taken up a lot of time.

AND then, although not entirely unexpected, I then found out I too am leaving the group. The changeover doesn't take effect until mid August but any change brings with it more work to ensure a smooth transition.  No, I'm not retiring early, :( but rather taking on a another group - this one comprising a couple of different workloads from anything I've ever done before.  It will be made more challenging, as I've been also tasked with a large project.  These changes will mean lots of things to learn and the opportunity to create something new in our office.

*********

At home, things have been a little less hectic.  In reality it ought not be, but I've been slacking a bit.  However I have company arriving later today, the vacuuming needs to done before she gets here as the dust bunnies are threatening to take over.
I've got chicken in the fridge marinating to put on the grill this evening, and will cook up some potatoes and make a green salad to go with it.  I've been using a Kraft Italian zesty lime salad dressing as a marinade, very simple and very tasty.  The potatoes I'll cut up with onions and spices, pre-cook in the microwave and then toss on the grill in tinfoil for the last few minutes.  Dessert is also simple - cut watermelon.  

S will have been on the road for 7-8 hours before she arrives.  She called this morning to say she is stopping along the way to visit family, as an uncle's health is failing and they've called the family to say their goodbyes.  The trip S is on, will take her to Winnipeg, where she will wait with her daughter for the birth of her grandchild.  One life is nearly over, another set to begin.  

She'll stay with me through to Tuesday morning, then leave for Winnipeg when I leave for work that morning.  That's another 6-8 hours as she plans to stop in Virden to visit other family members.

*******
I have been spending a fair amount of time on the Cruise Critic website, dreaming of, and planning for my next cruise.  Good thing too, as a fellow cruiser posted on Friday that Princess was offering up to $150USD onboard credit (OBC) in honor of Canada Day.  It wasn't clear if it was simply for new bookings or not, so I contacted my travel agent.  She made several calls as the line was busy, and was able to secure me an additional $100US OBC.  The $150 was for balcony guests only but it's free money.  The OBC can be used for excursion, specialty dining, for tips, and other onboard purchases.  I had already received $200 OBC for this cruise so this was a real bonus.  

I have booked one excursion thus far, a whale watching tour in Bar Harbor.  I may book an excursion in St. John based on the recommendations of fellow passengers on Cruise Critic.  We're still 77 days away from sail-away so I have some time yet to decide.

We also have a good group on FB, there are fourteen confirmed solos on this cruise.  Almost all of us booked in the spring when the sale was on but we've had a couple of drop outs since then and a few added to the list.  It's going to be interesting feeling like I know some of the people before I even get onboard ship.


Since this is a fall cruise, I decided I'd like to have a wrap for the evening.  I started this shawl a couple of weeks ago and it's working up really quickly.

As you can see, I'm using three shades of green.  My color choice may limit what I can wear with it but I generally dress in black for the evening, so it should work well. It's made with a medium weight yarn so should be cozy.  

********
I've been visiting my grandson and daughter every Friday for a couple of hours.  Things remain about the same with she and her partner.  Some days are good, others not so much.  I'm staying out of it as much as possible. No new photos of the little guy as I haven't had my camera with me.  

Speaking of my camera, I got a new zoom lens 75-300mm from Amazon.  I signed up with Angus Reid a couple of years ago; I get invites to surveys about once or twice a week and if I qualify I get points.  It took awhile but I was able to accumulate sufficient points to get a $50 Amazon gift card.  I used it to partially pay for the lens.  It arrived in the mail this past week, though I haven't had the chance to truly test it.  Perhaps S and I will go for a walk tomorrow and I'll take the camera along.

********
Well, that pretty much sums up the past few weeks.  The vacuuming is not getting done by itself so I'd best wrap this up and get it done.  

Have a great week (or two or three) everyone!



2 comments:

  1. I hope your work changes keep you energized, in a good way, until your retirement.

    The trip will be wonderful, I'm sure. Bonus, those extra on-board credits. Yay! Your shawl/wrap will look great with your evening wear. :-)

    Enjoy the visit with S -- I'm sure she wouldn't care if you didn't get to the vacuuming. She's coming to see you, not critique your house cleaning...at least I hope. LOL.

    Take care, enjoy the short summer -- time is flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your position has been changed even though you're counting down to your retirement? That seems strange, but I suppose your bosses know what they're doing. Don't all bosses?

    If you get a chance, visit Saint John. I have good memories of the city, though that was a long time ago. My grandmother had an apartment on Main Street (which hasn't been the city's main street in decades) and, I think you could see the harbour at the end of the street. It is a very atmospheric town, as I recall - though that may have been the fish in the King's Square Market.

    I hope your visit with S is a fun one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!