Sunday 27 August 2017

Weekend Wrap-up

Another busy and productive weekend is rapidly coming to a close.  Well, perhaps not as productive as I'd like but I did get a few tasks off the to-get-done list, not to be confused with the to-do list.  

First off was getting the duct work cleared out.  When I had booked my appointment a month or so ago, the crew was unable to complete the task because there was no access to the furnace.  He advised to have someone cut into the drywall, as they could not/would not do so themselves.  A couple of weeks ago, I asked J to cut open the drywall for me, which he did, so I re-booked the appointment for last Friday.  

I tucked all the cats into the sunroom at about 7:45 and two man crew showed up shortly after.  They brought in these huge long vacuum hoses, and some smaller equipment.  While one set up in the basement, cutting open the duct to the furnace, the other went around the house and opened up all the air vents.  OMG, the cat hair!  I have vacuumed my vents but apparently not very recently.  

It took about an hour with the vacuum sucking out the junk through the big hoses, while the one of the crew used some sort of air hose to clean up the cold and warm air vents, and the other followed him, putting the vent covers back in place.  I sat in the living room while this was going on and could hear chunks of something or other coming through the hose.  Since that can't have been cat hair I can only guess what might have made it's way into the vents.  Cat toys, children's toys, perhaps?  I know for certain there was lots of drywall dust as well from the basement and bathroom renos.

As they finished, the one crew member closed up the hole in the duct work, while the other dealt with the truck and did up the paperwork.  Everything was done very efficiently and as tidy as could be.  I was quite impressed with the workmanship.  


A couple of things I learned; first the living room should have three air vents, it currently only has two.  We think the previous owners may have covered it up when they put the base in front of the bay window.  It likely is located under the cat scratcher.

Why yes, my front room is full of cat furniture.  All the better to view cat television!  
The second thing I learned is the duct work has likely not been cleaned since it was installed.  Yikes, that's 30 years!  Bad enough that I left it for 7 years.  The difference in the sound of the furnace fan is simply amazing.  It costs a bit to get it done but I replaced the furnace 6 years ago and it sounds like it is brand new again.

*********
The other task that got taken care of was the removal of the boxes and bags of items that were left over from the garage sale.  The driver showed up alone so I gave him a hand loading about 30 boxes/bags onto the truck.  It's so good to see that stuff gone. (Kim, I know you know that feeling).  Time to start working on the next purge.

Speaking of which, I've got at least 75-80% of my daughter's stuff packed and ready to move.  Some of it has been packed since she moved back in last winter, but I've had to repack things because there were open boxes and tubs.  I'd say she packed in a hurry as everything was simply tossed into them.  I still have some books and craft items to pack along with the baby's room.  

You may be asking why I'm doing this.  Simply because if I wait for her, it will never happen.  Plus I want all of her stuff out of my house.  Since we moved into the house in 2010, she's brought things back or left them here.  This time, it is all going.  I'll give her to the end of September to find a place, and if she hasn't I'll have it all moved to a storage unit.  I'm willing to pay for the rental on the unit for six months and after that she'd best be in the position to move it or they can sell it.  

That might sound harsh, but D has been communicating with me only through Facebook.  The other day in a text to her brother, she told to inform me, that if I want to see Eli, I must ask for access.  Based on the photos she's pasted, I think she's living at a friend's house but I don't expect that will last for much longer.  I only hope she's making some effort to find a place of her own..

*********
Our temps have been staying quite high for this time of year (26-28C) but cooling off overnight.  Taking advantage of the cooler weather this morning, I did some meal preparation for the rest of the week.  One of things I did was cook up a meatloaf.  I don't know about you, but while I enjoy eating meatloaf I hate cleaning up the pan.  

I found this hack a few months ago and thought I'd share it with you. I filled the pan with hot water, a little dish-washing soap, and a dryer sheet.  

Wait about 20-30 minutes and the crusted on stuff pretty much wipes away.  I usually wash it again, just with soap and water because I'm not sure what residue the dryer sheet might leave behind, and then rinse.

Pretty amazing and so much easier that the scraping and scrubbing I used to do.  I don't know how or why it works, but it does!

Have you found a hack that you like to use?  I'm always amazed at the creativity and ingenuity of people.  I'm not nearly that capable.

*********
Though I am getting closer to finishing my shawl for the cruise.  Good thing too, as the cruise is only 3 weeks away!

I've got my packing list written up though I haven't actually pulled out the suitcase.  It's going to be somewhat challenging because the weather is a bit uncertain.  So far, we seem to be leaving one port for another just before the rain comes in.  

I'm thinking layers, tees and capris for warmer days, a couple of pair of jeans, a sweater or two for cooler ones, and a fleece jacket with a windbreaker in case of rain.  Then there is outfits for the evening - a dress, a couple of skirts and nicer tops to go with, along with a sweater or my shawl.  Oh, and a bathing suit for the hot tub or pool.  Add in several pairs of shoes, underclothes, and my personal toiletries and I'll have a full bag.  Well, actually two as I always ensure I have a change of clothing, some toiletries and an extra pair of shoes in my carry-on.  I've only had my luggage delayed once in all of my travels, and it was an experience I'd prefer not to have happen again.

*********
Finally, one more photo of my newest little "helper".  He's pretty darn cute, even if he is a pest!  It will be very hard to give him up, if D decides to pick him up someday.  





4 comments:

  1. Wow, you got a lot done this weekend. I think you are right in packing up your daughter's stuff. If you allow it to remain you are saying she can move back in anytime and you've made it clear (for sanity sake) that isn't going to happen. She needs to take control of her life and her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for taking that stand with your daughter. Otherwise, you know the scenario unfolding through time.

    My hack is to spray my meatloaf pan or any that needs it due to sticking, with Pam cooking spray. It never sticks after that. I do fill it wit hot soapy water however regardless as it wait for me to do the dishes.

    Sheldon. SMOOCHIES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a busy weekend!

    It's great you were able to get the ducts cleaned. When I had it done several years ago, first time ever, there was surprisingly little, mostly just some drywall dust from the reno I'd had done the previous November. I was surprised, thought the ducts would be filled with cat hair, but apparently not. Maybe because I change the furnace filter monthly? Beats me. Anyway, I'm sure you'll all be breathing easier, whether you realize it or not.

    Thirty boxes/bags...! That's a LOT to have packed up for donation. Wow, I'm impressed, and yes, doesn't it feel fantastic? Makes me want to purge stuff again, but at this stage, there just isn't that much that can be disposed of that's not cat stuff.

    Your daughter...not much I can say. Other than I'm sorry the relationship you have with her is so challenging.

    As for cutie patootie Sheldon...I thought your son was going to take him, when he gets his place at some point. Wherever he ends up, as long as he's in good, responsible care, I'm sure he'll be fine. Smooches to him!

    Oh, that hack with the dryer sheet, never heard of it! I've heard of other hacks using dryer sheets, but not this. I don't use dryer sheets, but must pick some up to try. Don't we all hate scrubbing pots and pans?

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I missed this article. Since the desks at work were re-arranged months ago, I am now overlooked by my supervisor; she sits almost literally at my shoulder. So I can't spend the time reading my favourite bogs as I used to.

    I am sorry that your daughter is so childish in her behaviour toward you. At thirty-five or so, you'd think she would be a bit more adult about things. You must miss Eli quite a bit, so I hope things improve soon.

    The furnace-duct cleaning was indeed long overdue, but you didn't have much to do with that. It should have been done several times before you moved into the house. But it's done now and your furnace is probably thanking you.

    Only three weeks until your holiday. You must be getting excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!