Monday 4 September 2017

A very quick update

First off, look who reached the 6 month milestone on Saturday!

He's really starting to be a little person. He adores his mom and dad, enjoys butternut squash and applesauce, and still won't smile (often) for G'ma's camera.  

I had breakfast with D and Eli on Saturday morning.  She's currently living in a friend's basement (bedroom and living area) and had her first shift back at a local retail outlet on Friday evening.  Dad J took Eli overnight and will do so when she works there, at least for now.

********
I've been busy getting ready for my cruise.....12 more sleeps until I fly to New York.  For some reason, taking a trip gets me motivated to clean. I've and vacuumed and washed the floors in the entire upstairs of the house, cleaned the bathrooms, and did a bit more packing of my daughter's stuff.  I'll get some more boxes this week and take care of the baby's room next weekend.

My clothes and shoes as packed in my check bag, and I pulled out the carry-on this morning.  In the carry-on will be an extra outfit, undergarments, and pj's as well as a small bag of toiletries, my camera bag, a book, my itinerary* and a pair of ear plugs. The latter are for the airplane as I often sleep - I've been known to doze off as the plane is on take-off.

My old trusty purse I carried on many trips fell apart on the last one, so I'll use the travel bag I bought for Europe.  It has a shoulder strap with braided wire in it to ensure it can't be cut easily and has pockets I can lock to carry cash or other valuables.  It's meant to keep pickpockets at bay though I suspect on the Canada/New England that is less of an issue.  In my purse are my cash, passport, a pen, and a few other small items.  It tucks into my carry-on and that bag fits under the bag in front of my seat.  

*On my last cruise (Oct 2016) I got scolded by an American customs agent for not carrying my itinerary with me.  I didn't think I'd need it as we were arriving in New York overnight before leaving for the cruise.  He informed me I should carry it with me at all times.  Lesson learned!

********
Work will be extremely busy for the next couple of weeks.  We're still in the midst of a transition.  I'm learning a new workload, getting to know my staff, and still finish up work from my old workload.  As well I'm responsible for orientation and this week's training of six new staff.  To be honest, I love being busy so though it may sound as though I'm whining, I'm truly not.  I've either asked for or volunteered for more work. 

It will make the time go more quickly....one more marble comes out of the jar on Tuesday, only 15 more months until retirement. 

I said this would be a quick update, but of course, I got wordy again.  I'll close off now with one more photo of my sweet grandson.

That's Sheldon beside him.  Eli loves him and so far Sheldon doesn't seem bothered by the baby either.

Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Your vacation is coming up so quickly! I'm sure you'll have a grand time, I'm looking forward to seeing pics. You could swing by my place beforehand, though, since you're on a cleaning binge! :-D

    Eli is getting so big! And yes, looking more and more like a small person, not a baby. Just wait till he goes from crawling to walking, there will be no stopping him then.

    Good luck with work. My current director of almost 17 years finally has committed to retiring next April 30th. He wanted to go at the end of this October (his b-day month), but for staff reasons, was unable to do so. His job will be posted today, in various publications, but it's such a specialized field I wonder that we'll get anyone. We certainly couldn't fill the new Assistant Director position, after 2 rounds of posting and interviews. I asked him last week, in a meeting, what he would do if there isn't anyone suitable, and he said then he'd work a day or possibly two a week, wouldn't leave everyone out in the cold, but wouldn't work full time. So those of us in our sub-group are just fence-sitting, waiting to see what will happen. I know I can't work for someone anal and controlling (like the other sub-unit staff and the big boss). The other director saw me packing up one of my overhead cabinets on Friday, he didn't say a word. LOL. I think most of us are a flight risk now. :-P

    Anyway, more than you needed to know about my own work. LOL.

    Have a great, short week (I go back Wednesday, took Tuesday off) and give smooches to all the cats, especially Sheldon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are able to visit with Eli. He looks great for six months! Doesn't look a day over five and a half! The final photo, of him and Sheldon, is wonderful.

    I can understand you wanting to clean before your holidays. I'm similar: if I were travelling, I wouldn't want to leave a mess - though I doubt that your house is ever in much of a mess. Even so, you'll want everything in its place.

    Only twelve more days! Good Heavens. I hope time slows down for you once you start your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!