Saturday 9 June 2018

Lazy days

Do you ever have one of those days or one of those weeks (in my case the latter) where your get and go has got up and left?  And, if you do, how do you get yourself out of that rut?  Or maybe I'm too hard on myself and this (hopefully) temporary lapse of ambition will pass.  

In any event, it has been a very quiet and unproductive week both at work and at home.  I've kept up with absolutely needed to be done but no more.  So, for example, if you were to walk into my living room right now you'd find the normal detritus of a toddler, as well as several boxes (books) and piles of clothing.  The latter all belong to my daughter and are destined for a future garage sale...that she has been planning since early May.  I call it the work of make a mess baby and make an even bigger mess mom.  The floor, though has been swept and vacuumed so the dust bunnies have been held at bay.  

What I should be doing is painting the bathrooms (or a least cutting in), as the worker is here on Monday to start the refacing of the cabinets.  The plumber was here yesterday to remove the sinks and taps.  He discovered there were no shut off valves in either bathroom so those had to be added once the main water was shut off.  

This is the main bathroom where the  problem started.  D noticed there was water dripping from the sink onto the floor of the cabinet.  When we checked underneath we discovered the sink had corroded through the base and so some overflow was actually leaking.  I started looking into replacing the sink but after searching for sinks on-line (no one local had grey sinks), I eventually came to decision to reface the cabinets as I did a few years ago in the kitchen.  Yeah, that's me...spent a little or a spend a lot...and I go with the more expensive option.  

This is the ensuite bathroom.  You'll see that both bathrooms have the banjo counter top that extends over the toilet.  That will be removed when the counters are replaced.  While the extra counter space is nice to have, it's a real pain to get at the toilet tank when the flange or chain needs to be replaced.  

The cabinets will be refaced with the same laminate material called chocolate pear, while the doors and drawer fronts will be replaced completely.  The counter tops will have similar laminate as the kitchen, except that the material in the kitchen has a gloss finish while the bathrooms will be matte. When the kitchen was done I have purchased the handles so these just need to removed and put on the new doors and drawer fronts.
 
This is a rather dark photo but provides some idea of what the counters and cabinets will look like.  (This was pre-installation of the microwave above the stove).  Unlike the kitchen there will be no tile backsplash, rather the laminate will be wrapped up the wall about 4 inches.  

I still need to find taps for both sinks - the ones I ordered on-line were too small so need to be returned.  This is part of shopping I like least...it's such a pain in the butt.  I'll probably replace the lighting as well as it is brass colored while the fittings are brushed nickel.  (see what I mean about spending more money...I started with needing to replace the sink....)

The paint I've chosen for the two rooms is quite a bit lighter than the original.  As both rooms are interior and without windows, I think the lighter color will brighten them up.  

I decided to go ahead with the refresh of the bathrooms as I think it will help with the resale of the house in a year or so.  The market in Regina has really declined over the past year or two, such that prices are dropping.  In the mean time I'll get to enjoy having nice(r) bathrooms. 

******
We've been having some wild weather this week with more storms forecast for this weekend.  This storm, earlier in the week gave us a good soaking of about 1/2 inch of rain or more.  We've had rain off and on, nearly every second day so that I haven't had to water most of the containers.  I do check the 10" pots more frequently as they tend to dry out more quickly but even those haven't needed more than a sprinkling. 

I have small birdhouse that my brother and his children built, that we hung on one of my sheds.  This little chickadee was busy between rain bursts bringing food to whomever was in the house.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any movement in or out of the birdhouse the last day or two, so I fear something may have happened.  My brother R, said it is unusual for a chickadee to nest in a birdhouse so perhaps the pair moved.  I hope so!


******
Finally, one more photo of my very handsome (and talented) grandson.  This week he discovered climbing!

Next to the cat tree is his toy box.  Lately he's taken to climbing into the toy box to get something, so it was a natural progression to take the next step of climbing onto the cat tree.  The view from there is so much better, right?  

I don't have a photo but the second time he climbed onto the tree, he made it up onto the perch he's leaning on and attempted to stand up!  That was it for the tree - it has now been moved into the sun room with nothing nearby to make the climb easy.  

Well, I'd best wrap this up and get to the bathrooms.  Procrastination is truly getting me nowhere!

Have a great weekend everyone.

P.S. I have my settings so that comments are e-mailed to me, but this function doesn't seem to be working. I've checked my settings and every thing looks okay.  Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

3 comments:

  1. Not getting email notification of comments is a current Blogger issue and well-known, widespread. I've been having the problem for a few weeks now. Not that I've done much posting, but still...If there's a bona fide work around, I don't know it. I tried something that someone on the Google forum suggested, but it didn't work for me.

    As for your post....

    Cut yourself some slack, you always seem very busy and productive to me, so you're allowed a down week or even more. Frankly, I find that I'm treading water, just keeping up (barely) with the day to day and weekly stuff, not much else gets done. That said, I did repaint one of the spare rooms on the Victoria Day Monday, and I've just repainted part of my upper hallway (I need a professional with a proper stair ladder to do most of it). But this has been an anomaly for me. Most of the time I'm too exhausted to do more than the regular errands and cleaning.

    Your bathrooms will look fantastic, btw, once the work is done. :-) And oh yeah, one thing always leads to another when it comes to house stuff. Well, when it comes to a lot of things in life. LOL. I hope the work goes well; good luck.

    Look at Eli up there! Yes, I can see why the cat tree got moved pretty quickly. He's growing by leaps and bounds, and I'm sure is the apple of Grandma's eye--with good reason. :-)

    Take care, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH now...I accidentally sent my comment via email. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, before I forget, comments used to be emailed to me, too, and that stopped a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was part of the changes they underwent, but from what Kim writes, it's an actual problem.

    As for not doing much, yes, it's sometimes hard, especially when there is much to do, or big jobs. Fortunately, I don't have a house to keep in shape - I never was able to keep up with things when I owned one - but there are other things. I am working on the PAW Society calendar right now. It takes two to three hours a day, and I am running out of steam for it. But I have a deadline, and I find that helps, even if I don't want it to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!