Sunday 24 June 2018

Work in progress

Remind me again why I decided to renovate the bathrooms.  I can't blame the cabinet company.  Their worker was in and out in two days.  But I'm still in the process of patching the drywall and getting ready to paint.  Plus I need to call the plumber back to install the taps.  And then there are the mirrors to be put up again. Oh boy, I really should know better!

I did do some priming after the mirrors were removed and before the counter tops came off.  What a gong show that turned out to be - not the removal of the counters but the paint.  I purchased the paint at Rona; when I went to use for the first time, a couple days after purchase I discovered it had already separated.  I stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred before I felt it was ready, only to be annoyed to find it was separating as I was painting. I'd paint a few brush strokes, stop and stir, and paint a bit more.  What a pain!

I kept at it though as I wanted to get the priming done before the cabinet guy came in.  Once that was done I decided to take the paint back to Rona.  I couldn't find my receipt but it was clearly their brand so I didn't I'd have a problem returning it.  Ha!

The front staff were quite pleasant to deal with but the manager of the paint department, not so much.  She asked when I'd bought the paint, and I said a couple of weeks prior.  I was then informed that it was my fault the paint separated.  Truly, that's what she said.  I was told I ought to have brought the paint into the store every three days to be shaken.  Really? I can't imagine doing that. I told her that I've painted many time before and never had this issue with any other brands of paint.  She stuck to her guns and refused to make any restitution so I told her to keep the paint and I walked out of the store...probably for the last time.  (Though I do like their garden centre).  

I drove a few blocks over to the Home Depot, where I confirmed that paint should not separate that quickly.  In fact, there was a young man (another customer) there who paints for a living who said the paint manager's comment was ridiculous.  While my paint was being mixed he pointed out an attachment for my drill that I can use to stir the paint more quickly.  I should mention the paint counter clerk was also very helpful and helped me find the appropriate paint with a built in primer.

Also a work in progress is my daughter's packing for her trip to Vancouver Island with Eli.  They fly out Tuesday evening and will be in B.C. for 16 days.  Eli has been a great helper, he quickly pulls things out of the suitcase as his mother packs.  The teddy bear tucked in has a audio component so that D was able to record a message to Eli.

He will be staying with his daddy for several days while she spends time with his mother up island. I suspect his time with Dad might be shortened as Eli hasn't seen J for some time, and he doesn't like being left with anyone either than myself or his uncle C.  J is planning to leave him with his sister-in-law while he works.  Yeah, I can see how this might not go so well....leaving him with a perfect stranger.  His auntie V does have a six month old so that might distract Eli for a short time. Either way, I'm certain J is going to find him a real handful. Not only is he now walking, but climbing is a great game.  Today he pushed the ottoman next to my end table, climbed up, and helped himself to pieces of a muffin I had put there to share with him.  Though I had thought I'd pass the pieces on, he had other ideas!



G'ma is going to miss this face while he's away.  I won't miss the mess, that both he and his mother make.  But it sure will be quiet around here.  J has indicated they will face time with me occasionally.  It won't be the same but I'm sure the time will fly by. 

Especially as I'll have a chance to get the painting done without a little helper!
He's been quite fascinated as I've sanded down the drywall patches.  Hmmm....perhaps this making a mess comes naturally.

I'd best get back to taping as he's down for his morning nap.  Have a great week everyone!





6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your renos. We have a bunch of things we would like to do around here but no time to do it so likely not to happen for a while. Time will fly, you can finally enjoy some alone "me" time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It will be nice to have the house mostly to myself. My son C and co-exist quite well. He spends time in the basement while I putter around upstairs. It works for us!

      Delete
  2. I'm at a loss for words re: your unbelievably crappy customer service from that Rona manager--who obviously ought not to be in that position. Wow. Note to self: Never buy paint from Rona. Actually, I buy either Behr or ParaPaints and have for years and am happy with both brands, knock on wood. Good luck with all the work! I'm groaning at the thought. The best way to do renos is to stay in a 4-star hotel while someone else is doing all the work in one shot. LOL. (In my dreams!)

    Safe travels to Eli and your daughter as well. Sounds like some drama will be on the agenda for the trip. LOL.

    Take care, have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up with Behr paint - bought it last week and surprise it hadn't separated! Not that I thought it would.

      Yes, I suspect there will be much drama...thankfully I'm several hours away and don't have to witness it. I'm sure I'd not be able to hold my tongue.

      Delete
  3. You are a pleasure to read! Every time. Loved it. Now the paint debacle...that is horrific. Nothing like a great letter straight to their corporate address to tell what happened. I have never ever heard of much less had paint separate like that. EVER. You deserve restitution and then some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I write mostly for myself - I think it's a great way to chronicle the little things in life. I've gone back (on my old blog) and read posts and been grateful to have the write-up of my memories. So many little things just get forgotten in the busy-ness of life.

      I agree, a letter is in order. I'm less cranky now so should be able to write something that is more coherent than I might have written a week ago!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!