Sunday 20 January 2019

Home away from home

For 12 days, my stateroom 6-252 was my home sweet home.  The first number refers to the deck number, and the cabin was located just a short walk from the aft elevators and stairs.  I also had an option of using the second level access to 2-70 by walking further to the rear of the ship.  I used it often, not only because of the ease of access but because the sharing library was also located there.  

Sorry this photo is a bit dark; I should have closed the drapes first.  The room is not large, the bed takes up a fair bit of room, but there is lots of storage built in around the bed.
The view looking back into the room from the balcony doors.  To the right is the bathroom.  There wasn't a huge amount of space around the bed, but sufficient to move around for one person.
The bathroom, was actually quite spacious.  Lots of storage both in the shelves to the left and below (you can see the extra toilet roll) as well as the counter space.  No drawers but the seas were calm and I never worried about things falling during the night.
To the left of the bed was the hanging clothes storage, with an extra bar that dropped down.  More closet space than most studio cabins.  In this storage unit were two shelves above the safe, and another shelf and two drawers below.  The space in the center held the cubby next to the bed, where I could put my glasses, a water glass, book, and other sundries at night.  (Yes, I could have a water glass...no cats to knock it over!).  The cabinet to the right held the min-fridge, and the drawer contained the provided blow dryer and a box of tissues.  My steward, Bloxer, told me the tissues were moved out of the bathroom because these products can clog up the toilet. I'm not certain why, it was pretty much one ply sand paper but regardless it was a reminder to put it in the bin rather than the toilet.

Across from those cabinets was the mirror (which lit up - small things amuse small minds - I found this very cool!).  Under the little table was a small stool, the only seating other than the bed in the room.  There were a couple of USB slots that allowed me to charge both my phone and Kobo, as well as the outlet.  That is my second camera battery charging in this photo.

But the very best thing about this cabin was the balcony.  Yes it was obstructed but not nearly as much as I had thought it might be.  I was very fortunate in the I had what-ever that smaller boat is in front of me rather than the bigger life boats.  Once I was out on the balcony though, even seated the view was wonderful!

I'm obviously standing at the railing for this photo, and in fact, I don't have any photos taken from the seated position, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I really appreciated having the balcony - generally I can't afford one as a solo so this was a real treat.  The balcony provided a quiet place where I could relax and get away when the ship was busy, or first thing in the morning, when I went out to check on the weather! 

Throughout the entire cruise, I never slept in past 7:30 a.m. and that late was unusual, as most days I was awake between 4:30 and 6:30 every day.  I was okay with that, I'm not a night owl anyway, and best of all I was awake in time for beautiful sunrises like this one on January 8, 2019.  


Speaking of beautiful, the ship was full of art work.  I'll end this post with a few of my favorite pieces.  
 Each of these two pieces were on the landings between the decks.  Each one had a plaque that provided details about the artist and the art work. 

This piece was an image taken from the Empire State building in New York from the artist's perspective.  My favorite, is the dress made by folding a map.  Now that's amazing!

 The installation to the left, was a huge piece that ran several decks high, and could be seen from the glass elevators or from the stairs at the 14th deck, where I took this photo.

Another piece I loved were these 3-D paper flowers.  I'd definitely have this
one in my home if I could.




The most fun one is pictured below...several donuts on a board.  They looked delicious!  These were located on the landing between Deck 10 and 11 on the aft stairwell.  This was about halfway between my stateroom deck and the WJ buffet on 14.  It made a perfect place to catch my breath when I climbed the stairs!

The giraffe was located just off the Sea Plex on Deck 15.  I have no idea why it was there as it didn't seem to have any connection to the area.  But it made an interesting feature on the walk around the deck on the walking/running track.  

The track was a busy place early in the morning, with many passengers getting in their exercise.  There is also a gym on this deck - though I never ventured into it.  

As you can likely tell already, I really enjoyed the ship.  Yes, it was big, but the layout was amazing, the venues were all a decent size, and best of all were the many people I met, not only through the FB and CC groups but also on board.

Best cruise ever!  

Next post - San Juan, Puerto Rico








3 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the inside of your Stateroom, the descriptions of it and seeing what you spoke of. And I loved seeing the works there to entertain the guests. I will never have this experience so seeing it this way is more of a treat than you know, for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stateroom is so well designed! Better than a lot of tiny houses I see on HGTV, in fact.

    The dress was made of a map? After I read that I had to look carefully. Amazing! And you got a sunrise photo on this cruise too--I remember you weren't able to on the last one, due to cloud cover.

    Your enthusiasm for the ship and the cruise itself shines through; I'm glad it was your best one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The compartment isn't much smaller than my bedroom, and arranged better. I wonder if the people who design such spaces ever think about going into the tiny house business.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!