Tuesday 22 January 2019

Philipsburg, St. Maarten - January 10

We arrived about 10 a.m. in the morning of January 10 in Philipsburg, St. Maarten. This is the Dutch side of the island, the other side is known as St. Martin.  I didn't bother getting off the ship for a bit to allow the first rush to get through.

If you've been with through previous cruises, you may remember on my last visit, I spent my time at Maho Beach, photographing the aircraft landing at Princess Juliana airport across the street.  I had a great day that day, and thought I might go there again.

But recalling that I have approximately 250 photos from that excursion, and decided I'd spend the day in Philipsburg that day. After walking off the ship, I paid for a ticket on the water taxi to cross to the town.  I could have walked, but it was a hot day...and I'm lazy!

We had just a little company that day, with the Regal Princess in port with us.  If memory serves, this was the ship I sailed into St. Maarten on the last time I was there!

As an aside, on the lower right of the photo are people standing above the bridge.  I finally found the door out to that area a few days before I left the ship.  It was a great viewing platform.

After landing off the water taxi, I walked down the street towards the shopping area.  There were two piers where the water taxis were dropping off passengers; I got dropped off at the furthest one.  So I still had a bit of walking to do.  I found a t-shirt shop and picked up a cute little t-shirt for Eli, but I really wasn't there to shop.

As I walked, I passed by this lovely church.  I've since learned it is the Methodist Church, is open to the public and charges no admission.  I should have stopped in.

A little further along the street is the Courthouse. Such pretty buildings!!

It was nearly noon, it was hot, I'd finished my bottle of water so I was ready for something to eat and a cold drink.  I turned back towards the beach and the first restaurant I came across was a Hardrock Cafe.  I figured they would have free wifi (and they did, if you consider having to buy something to get access free).  

No surprise, I chose to sit outside to eat my meal.  It was quiet when I arrived, but by the time I left the deck was full.  After checking my e-mail and Facebook, and chatting via Messenger with my daughter it was time to walk off some of that lunch.

The beach wasn't full, there were lots of loungers and umbrellas available.  I had worn my suit under my clothing, I might have rented a chair, but it was 29C (84F), with no real breeze.  

I did stop a minute to dip my feet in the water, that felt good!  Then it was time to head back to the ship and the air conditioning and ice cold water. 

I walked down the beach to the closest pier, and waited about 5 minutes (in the shade) for the next water taxi.  

So many people enjoying the beach and the water

That water! I don't think I'll ever get over how amazingly blue the water is in the Caribbean.

Back on the ship, I spent some time on my balcony, enjoying the view and reading.  Even though I didn't do much in St. Maarten, it was a wonderful day.

Next post - Antigua.  I'm not sure when I'll get it posted as D and Eli are coming to visit tomorrow and not leaving until the weekend. Hopefully I'll get it done before they arrive as I suspect I'll be busy after that!  A good kind of busy. 


  1. Oh, yes, that water is gorgeous! I'm glad you enjoyed the day in St. Maarten, it looks like a wonderful spot.

    Have fun with Eli! :-)

  2. I like the smaller places, the lesser known locations. St Maarten looks wonderful.


Thanks for stopping by!