Sunday 19 July 2020

A mostly relaxing week

My week started out with a visit from my favorite (and only) grandson.  D and Eli drove in on Sunday and headed back home Monday afternoon.  She had a doctor's appointment planned and as it turned out this little guy needed to see the doctor too.  He had gotten a bug bite sometime on the weekend and it had gotten infected. I suspect a little boy might have scratched it with dirty fingers.  D called the 811 health line for assistance but they didn't feel he needed to see the doctor; G'ma did not agree because his arm was swollen, hot to the touch and quite red.  D was able to get an appointment for him on Monday morning, and we used anti-allergy meds and Polysporin ahead of the visit.  The doctor provided a prescription for antibiotics and it has cleared up nicely.

Apparently it didn't hurt, or at least it didn't slow Eli down any.  We spent some time at the nearby park, walked down to the pond to see the geese and ducks, he played in the yard, drove the G'ma car to Tim Hortons, hung out in the basement with Uncle C, and gave Sasha gentle hugs.  He found my level with a laser light and he and Saku played chase the dot.  Maybe someday Saku will learn to tolerate the kid.


After they left for home on Monday, I puttered around and did a bit of tidying.  D called when they got home; they had followed a storm on their drive and it had hit their town quite hard.  There were tree branches down all over, a large one in front of her house and another one in front of the neighbour's.  But her friend F fared worse, as a tree had toppled and landed on the roof of their home.  The power lines were affected too, so they were without power for several hours.  I'm grateful there wasn't any more damage but it was bad enough.

Tuesday I wanted to get my housework out of the way in the morning so I could spend some time outside in the afternoon.  The darn phone just wouldn't stop ringing so eventually I started ignoring it.  I missed a call from my friend S but I'll catch up with her later.  She is visiting with her daughter and new grandbaby, a sweet little girl, and calls when everyone else is napping.  

I still managed to take care of most everything I wanted to get done, three loads of laundry, bathrooms, cat litter, and washing floors by shortly after 1 p.m. I stopped then to have a bite to eat, before heading out to the backyard.  I mowed and did some weeding before sitting with my book and my water for an hour or so.  I got a treat when C came home, as he was craving pizza so ordered dinner for both of us.  I had planned to cook, but that waited until Wednesday morning.

Although I had intended to wait until later in the week, Wednesday was shopping day.  D had asked me to pick up a prescription for her and since I was going out for that reason, it made sense to get the rest of the shopping done.  However, when I got to the drug store I learned her prescription wouldn't be available until later in the day.  Oh well, I figured I may as well finish the shopping.  Pet Valu was first on the list for the cat litter and then Safeway for a few groceries.  I headed home and just as I was finishing putting them away, the drug store called to say the prescription was ready.  So back I went to the store where I completed the pick up and mailed them out to D.

At home, I sauteed some ground beef, split it into two portions and made taco meat with one portion, and a sort of hamburger stew with the second.  We had those meals later in the week as there was leftover pizza from the night before to use up.  While I was doing my little bit of cooking I chatted with my brother R.  He's off work on a week's vacation but it ain't no holiday.  Between working on the house in town (he and his wife bought her mother's house from the estate), driving his wife to and from work, and the farm yard chores he's been busy.  However, he did get approval to take a couple of days to visit the Grasslands National Park with his daughter.  (This was later shortened to one night - she who must be obeyed had a list of things to be done before the week end.)

The rest of the day was spent puttering.  I finished clipping the lower branches of the evergreen in the front yard and filled the bin again!  In back, I added some more soil and grass seed, and watered the lawn.  I've only a few small spots left as it is finally filling in.  I noticed that the weeds are starting to get big again...but I left those for another day.  It's a never ending battle.

I awoke to another sunny day on Thursday.  I think back to last summer, I was so busy trying to keep the house show room perfect that I don't recall having much time to just enjoy the weather and time outdoors.  I'm definitely making up for it this year!  There wasn't much on my own to-do list for the day, so a walk was in order.  A couple of my favorite photos from that day:

Is there anything cuter than baby animals?  Mama duck was staying nearby to keep an eye out while they fed.  The pink/purple spots you see are the thistle flowers, out of focus of course, since I wanted to capture the little ones.

Arriving home, I read out on the front patio for awhile before deciding it was a good day to tackle the garage.  If you recall, I'd spent some time in there last week cleaning the floors.  Today, I tackled the clutter, reorganized boxes, recycling, tools, brooms, paint supplies, and so forth.  I wiped down the shelving units, and swept the floor again, getting under shelving, and work bench.  Then, just for fun I washed it again (I'm joking, it wasn't that much fun).  It looks so much better out there and should last a week or two.  I need to take some electronics for recycling and a few boxes of items to the thrift store - I'm not sure if the latter is accepting donations at this time.

Friday started off cloudy but the sky cleared and it got hot (for me).  I spent the morning sewing masks, one each for me, D and Eli, and another for J, Eli's father.  He'll be flying in to Regina on August 19 and staying for week.  D will pick him up at the airport (and drop him off).  I know he has to wear a mask on the flight, but I suspect that's a disposable.  D hasn't tried to get Eli to wear a mask but they are recommended for children over 2 years old.  I believe, if he sees his daddy wear one, Eli will be more compliant.  I guess we'll see.  

I enjoyed my lunch on patio and read for awhile before heading over to Canadian Tire to pick up a couple of plastic containers that were on sale.  I want to reorganize my sewing room and these will be handy for material, patterns and other supplies.  I also stopped by the Dollar store to get three folding cubes.  I've filled these with yarn and need a few more! 

Saturday, the morning started with a light rain, and I woke up with a stiff neck and accompanying headache.  I assume I slept funny - I recall being awake several times during the night unable to get comfortable.  I made a pot of coffee and took a couple of Tylenol, but after talking to my daughter about 7:30 I gave up and went back to bed.  She woke me at 11:15 - I'm not sure how long I might have slept if she hadn't called.I spent the rest of the day not doing much of anything.  I watched some television I'd PVR'ed, crocheted, watched some curling, crocheted, made dinner, watched more curling, did more crocheting.  Even so, I was ready for bed once the final curling draw was over.  

Today, I've got a few things in mind but for the moment, I'm reading blogs, drinking coffee, and enjoying the morning.  It's a good day!

Take care and stay well!





9 comments:

  1. Loved that picture of Eli with static hair. Priceless. I hope your stiff neck is all gone now. These days even a minor illness can give us pause. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that picture of Eli. LOVE LOVE LOVE! The rest of the photos you have put here for us area so enjoyable but Eli and that hair! Those little leggies...oh my goodness.
    I am so glad you got him into the Dr. to see what was wrong. And that it's all over for now. Kids are always getting bitten by some ol' bug intent on having some of our bloods I guess!
    It's been awhile since I have been the tired as you described, but that's because I should be doing a bit more. You inspire me. I wish I knew how to knit and crochet though. I have wished that for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a scary, sudden storm that brought down tree limbs. We had a very strong rainstorm here on Saturday: it looked more like someone was using a garden hose on the landscape, rather than mere rain. As for your neck and headache, I hope you are feeling better. It's my lower back that usually gets me. I think I'd rather have that than a bad neck and head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had a good day today/yesterday. (Since I have not been to bed yet it is still today in my mind)
    Your grandson is adorable and I envy the time you get to spend with him!
    I hope your week is wonderful in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo of Eli is absolutely priceless. That's a keeper, one to be framed. Brilliant capture.

    I hope you have a terrific week, maybe with a bit less work. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do take beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great picture of Eli. I do hope his infected bite heals very quickly.

    I envy you seeing those baby ducks on your walks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pictures--you're a great photographer, and the picture of your grandson is precious. I am fairly new to your blog, and I keep checking your profile to see if there is anything there. I don't know why I don't remember from the time before that there is nothing! Is there a place to go where I can find out a little about you? I feel as if I dropped in somewhere in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll add something - not sure why I didn't when I set the blog up. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!