Sunday 2 January 2022

Out with the old, in with the new

Welcome 2022! Maybe it is simply that it is a new year, but I'm feeling hopeful. Hopeful that this is the year the pandemic will truly be over, and the new normal of our lives will be healthy and safe, and we'll find common ground as we move into the future.

Today it is a bright and sunny day here, and that may have something to do with my current positivity. Too, we're getting a brief respite from the bitterly cold weather. I woke to -24C (-11F) with a forecast high of -11C (12F). It will feel practically balmy, though this morning breeze made it feel much colder when I went out to feed the birds.

Yesterday I gathered up and put away all of the Christmas decorations, though left out anything that wasn't too Christmas-y. Snow themed items, and a basket of stuffed animals are still displayed. It looks soooo empty now. 

I also spent some time yesterday, and again this morning, reading through posts on my old blog. I started blogging in May 2011, ending that blog in Dec 2016, with several hundred posts. I enjoyed reading what I written, the posts brought back many memories and refreshed others, I laughed or cried every so often, and cringed at the typos! For the first year, I had few comments, but by the end of 2016, I had a group of loyal followers, many of whom have made the trek to this blog when I started it up in 2017. You know who you are, and I thank you. I'm also grateful to those who have come onboard since My Life, My World previewed. All of you are precious to me.

When I first started my blog I posted every day! But it didn't take long until my posts were less frequent and with the exception of Friday Funny (when I posted a meme or cartoon), there would be times when I posted only ever few weeks.  Here on this blog I've gotten into the routine of posting once a week (except this past week). 

All of this to say, I admire those who post everyday. I don't think I could do that, but I will endeavor to add a little more variety to my posts. Rather than a litany of what I've been doing, I think I'll revive Friday Funny and possibly throw in a thankful Thursday or even a throwback Thursday to the mix. Some of my favorite posts were from my travels and I'm planning (cross my fingers, toes and eyes) to do some of that this year too. D and I are planning a trip to my home town this summer; we'll camp at the Regional park and will visit a few nearby places while we're there. There may also be another more exciting trip...but that's all I'll say about that for now.

Oh, and at least for now, there will be less chatter about curling. Sadly, the Canadian mixed doubles and the Grand Slam event planned for this month have been cancelled due to the increasing cases of Covid. The World Junior hockey tournament was also shut down before the end of the tournament as several teams had outbreaks and had to forfeit their games. To add insult to injury, did you hear that the Russian hockey team and their coaches were removed from their flight to Germany due to improper behavior? I've read other articles that the coach, in business class, was vaping, refused to wear his mask, and was using his cellphone to play loud music. He refused to comply with the flight attendants requests. Back in economy class, the young men were behaving no better, tearing apart cigarettes and refusing to wear their masks. They were de-planed but I don't know whether they were put on a later flight or had to find another way home. But worse still, were the comments from readers cheering on this behavior. One comment suggested the individuals were fighting against the communism of Canada. That made me laugh and shake my head!

On a far happier note, here's an article about a Seattle Kraken hockey fan and the assistant equipment manager of the Vancouver Canucks. To summarize, this young woman spotted an irregular mole on the back of the man's neck at the first home game of the Kraken from her seat behind the bench. She decided to say something to him, and later, he had the mole checked out and learned it was malignant. The two teams have since announced they are contributing $10,000 towards her medical school funding. I think she'll be an incredible doctor.

To end this post, I'll leave you with these photos:

My mom generally had a jigsaw puzzle out on a card table over the Christmas holidays. I've done it for the past couple of years. While I was visiting D in the fall, we stopped at the Winners store in the nearby city, and found a box of four puzzles (all fall scenes) for $19.99. That's an incredible price for four 1000 piece puzzles. I didn't have any help with it, as my kids aren't interested, so it took me over two weeks to finish it. I'll be taking it down shortly as this is also the table I use for crafting but at least I have proof of it's completion.

I'm dreadful at taking selfies. These are a couple of gifts I received for Christmas. The pajamas are from my adult children, and the socks are from Eli. He told his mom I needed the socks, because "G'ma loves purple." He's right, I do!

And now you know why my daughter also gave me a purple hand mixer.

Finally, you'll probably notice I changed out the header photo. It was taken in early January, 2021 as it's been too damned cold to go for a walk thus far. Perhaps by mid-month we'll see some nicer weather.  

Have a great week everyone!




22 comments:

  1. You must become accustomed to that weather - I don't think I could. Wow, that is cold.
    Love the puzzle, that could be framed. I would love to see some throw backs on old blogs posts - I wasn't on your back then.
    That is funny that Canada is communist - oh my goodness. There just isn't accounting for brains much today!
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accustomed, perhaps, but I still grumble every time the temperatures fall so far. Being retired helps, as I don't have to go out into it. And a sunny day is definitely a bonus.

      Delete
  2. Your negative temps would keep me house bound. We were 27F this AM and I still haven't opened the door.
    What is with airplane behavior these days? Those Russians were bizarre but we have had just as screwy behavior here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been housebound mostly since Christmas, only venturing out to feed the birds and the squirrels.

      I really don't understand the bad behavior on aircraft. It isn't as though the pilots are going to take off when that is going on. No one wins in a situation like that...no matter who is manifesting it.

      Delete
  3. I have gotten a bad feeling about flying now...have had for some time. It seems accepted to everyone witnessing or being in these situations, and there apparently is no punishment for it...so the individuals are encouraged to continue doing it. There doesn't seem to be much civility left anywhere. About your blog. I love reading what you have been doing...how you did it. It is just like one of my days, I guess is why. :-) I thoroughly enjoy every word. Hope you don't change it really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, you'll still get the weekly updates on what I've been up to. I'm just planning to add to it to, not only for the interest of others but my own too.

      Delete
  4. I try to avoid mentioning Covid on my blog. We are so bombarded with it at every turn.
    You have a lot of snow! The cold is blowing into E.Ontario now. Brrr. Typical January

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking back on prior posts and we've had more snow at this time in years past. But I tired of it very early in the year.

      Delete
  5. Holy cow, that's cold. We've been lucky, but it did get colder today here. I could never post every day. Once a week sounds do-able. I also take a bad selfie - we're not young women who practise our smiles in the mirror! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: selfies - isn't that the truth. My problem is pushing the right buttons to take a photo so most of the pics are of me looking down at the phone. :p

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year!

    It's minus 19C here this morning, but at least we have clear skies and sunshine, the first sunny day since December 23rd. Of course I'm back at work, so will be in front of the computer all day.

    Purple is a great colour for you! And wow, your hair is long! I don't feel so badly now, for my own length, as mine is short by comparison. With the state of things here in Ontario, and more restrictions expected to be announced this morning, that haircut a couple of weeks ago might be my last for a while. LOL.

    Take care and stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're sitting about the same temperature this morning. It actually felt nice out when I went out to feed the birds.

      I haven't had a haircut since June 2020 and at this point I'm thinking I'll leave it until it is long enough to donate. I generally wear it up in a pony tail - it starts getting annoying when it's flying around my face.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you, purple is my favorite color! I love jigsaw puzzles but can't keep them out anymore since I adopted my cat, Al. He likes to sleep on then and also bat the pieces all over the floor. Your header picture looks like my back yard, lots of snow. I miss warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the warm weather too - I'd love to get out for a walk but when it's really cold it's a no for me. And then it does warm up, it get's icy. Can't win.

      My jigsaw puzzle is in my craft room and I keep the door closed. Saku would do the same as your Al but I manage to keep him away.

      Delete
  8. And we are going to be heading back into the cold. I noticed it much colder when I pulled out the bin for pick up than when I went for my walk this morning. Of course it would be cold as I have my mammogram appointment at the mobile clinic on Thursday.

    What a lovely lady you are. It is wonderful to put a face to the name.

    Harvey is upset about the curling and the hockey. He did kind of expect it though, the darn Omicron is so infectious.

    I got our kit at the Co-op when I went shopping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie, for the compliment as well as reminding me where to find the kits. I got one this morning At Co-op.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year, Maebeme. It is funny how cold temperatures can feel 'balmy' after a deep freeze. We like it here because when we get up and it is 3C like it was today, the afternoon temps of 18C feels much more like 25! :)
    It is nice to see a picture of you in your new pj's. Now I feel I really know who I'm 'talking' to! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like your temperatures, with the brief warm-up we've gotten more snow.

      I'm not a fan of taking or having my photo taken, but every once in awhile I make an exception.

      Delete
  10. We got more snow overnight and expecting more tomorrow. We've had one day above zero (+1C) since Dec.23, all the other days were in the -20's and 30's!!
    I heard about the behaviour on the plane, I wonder how that behaviour would have been tolerated in Russia?! DS#2 is a flight director and he has had a few episodes of ridiculous behaviour. The thing is, they have zero tolerance and the passenger pays a big price for their stupidity.
    That was definitely a feel good story about the girl seeing the mole on the assistant equipment managers neck. What are the chances!!
    Great selfie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice.

      More snow here yesterday and more expected today. I thought it wasn't supposed to snow when it is cold. Someone lied. :)

      Delete
  11. I remember your previous blog. I'm glad I followed you to this one. And if I were retired, I might blog just once or twice a week, too; after all, when time's your own, you have so much to do. When you have to work, and at a computer, it's much more fun to spend the time blogging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, blogging at work was part of the reason I got into trouble. No personal use of our computers were allowed...though there were others who ran their side businesses from work. Sigh...I don't miss those days at all.
      Thank you John, I'm glad you followed me here too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!