Saturday 17 December 2022

Winter of my discontent

Have I mentioned recently how much I dislike winter? It's only mid-December and I'm already tired of shovelling snow, bundling up in a parka, mitts, and toque just to take out the garbage, chapped lips and dry hands...  Well, you get the picture. We had a couple of reasonable winter days, meaning overcast, not too cold, and no snow.  However, on Wednesday, a Colorado low moved in from the southeast, and another storm came from the northwest. Here in the city we didn't get as much as other areas did, but there was another 3 inches on the ground when I got out of bed Thursday morning. I had shovelled the inch or so that accumulated by Wednesday afternoon when I returned home after the stitch and chat.

Alright whine over...nothing I can do (yet) or anyone else can do to keep this from happening. I did enjoy our stitch and chat this week; S has returned from Arizona and the lady (Io) I've been meeting with, while she was away was there too. Poor S, she arrived back in Regina the day that the windchill hit -48C. Things haven't improved much, as her car wouldn't start, the picture on her television has gone wonky, and some forms she had sent into to a provincial department were rejected because her cover page said 16 pages, and there were 17 attached because one page was duplicated. You'd think someone on the receiving end would be able to remove the duplicate, but apparently not, and she has to resubmit the documents.

She brought along a couple of knitting pattern books she no longer needs/wants and gave them to me. The patterns are lovely, meant for older children (8-16) and adults. I'm sure I'll be able to use them as Eli keeps growing. Funny that! S also brought a piece of knitting (a UFO) that was tucked away in her closet in Arizona. She had lost the pattern, but we were able to identify it as the moss stitch and with a Google search had the pattern figured out. Io was was finishing sewing buttons on kitchen towels, and then brought out her embroidery. She's making a set of tea towels that are likely to be gifted to her granddaughter.

I had my crocheting with me. I pulled a couple of balls of yarn from the stash and started working on a lap blanket. I'm not a fan of the colors but I need to use up the stash and they do look bright and cheerful together. 


The sugar cookies and red velvet mini-cupcakes were iced and decorated early one morning. Two of the sugar cookies broke as I was working on them, so they and a cupcake were that morning's breakfast. Breakfast of champions? Probably not. :) On the weekend, I had finished the peppermint sandwich cookies. They're tasty, but not nearly as good as my sugar cookies. I'm not sure what I did differently but man, oh man, are they good. 

I've finally caught up on my updates on Ancestry this week. I was thinking I might cancel my Newspapers.com subscription but received notice that they've added a number of additional newspapers from Scotland. I'm hoping I might find mention of some of my ancestors, though it is much like looking for a needle in a haystack with the last name of Stewart. Recently, I picked up a book "Online Genealogy", which I've skimmed and I think may help me identify other sources for searching. At the moment, my hopes are pinned on DNA testing. My adult children purchased the kit for me as a Christmas gift, and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I've mailed it off and received an e-mail this week that it has arrived at the lab. Results are expected with 6-8 weeks. I'm hoping against hope that this information might be the key to finding the links to origins of various family members.

The other (and much more exciting) thing I worked on this week was preparing for my January cruise. My travel agent L and I had a chat Thursday morning and went through her checklist of things for me to remember and consider. She is truly amazing and is so detailed oriented. L was concerned about my airline e-tickets as they have my first name and only my initial for the second name. This doesn't match my passport which has both full names. We went through the list of things to be saved to my phone and items I need or want to have in printed form as well. I was a bit ahead of her on that as I had the printouts and had updated the electronic documents before our call. 

I made a call to the airline and confirmed my full name is in their system, but the tickets will show only my first name and initial. To be certain, I asked the agent several times, and she confirmed it will not be an issue at the counter. My next call was to the hotel to confirm my reservation. I booked through Airmiles, a third party booking system, and wanted to be certain there was no hiccup. Several years ago, I had used Airmiles to book a New York hotel, only to learn on arrival that they had no reservation for me. I had to pay $400 room for the night. On returning home I contacted Airmiles and eventually learned that the booking had been made for February instead of September! They reimbursed me for the cost of the room, but I'll never book again without following up directly with the hotel to confirm.

I pulled out the suitcase and carry-on bag, and went through my summer and "cruise" clothes. Yes, I have certain items I only wear when I'm cruising. I'm hard on my everyday clothing, so I keep some nicer pieces for my trips. This is a 14 day cruise, with an added travel day at the beginning - I always fly in a day ahead, in case there are delays. I've learned to pack enough clothing for 7 days, along with a few nicer items for evening wear, not including the travel day clothing. The ship has a DIY laundromat that I'll use on a sea day. We have eight sea days and four ports and full day transiting the canal. I do enjoy sea days! One port that was initially on the itinerary, Nicaragua, was cancelled - no reason given, but I hadn't planned to get off the ship there anyway. It would been a long bus ride to the nearest city and none of the posted excursions looked particularly worth the travel time and money to me.

Friday, I ran out to pick up a few groceries to get us through the next few days, and more cat food and bird seed. The birds and the squirrels have been inhaling the seed and at least one rabbit is enjoying the feed too. He/she leaves behind evidence of their visit. It was out in the front yard the other day - looks pretty healthy doesn't it?

No curling streaming this week, though there is an event in Japan that I'll be keeping my eye on for the scores. I'm planning to relax this weekend, watch some sports, catch up on PVR'ed television, and continue crocheting the lap blanket. I better not have to shovel any more snow! Shouldn't have to, as the weather forecast is for more cold weather. I'll end this post as I started...I hate winter!

Have a good week ahead everyone.




16 comments:

  1. Good job on dotting the i's and crossing the t's for this upcoming trip. I am sure it pays totally to have everything all lined up and checked and double checked.
    Such a cute bunny!
    Have a great remainder of your weekend! Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I've learned so many lessons over the past many years of travelling - some of them not so great.

      Delete
  2. You’re an expert “packer” with as many cruises you’ve been on. The bunny is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debby, I still come home with clothing that wasn't worn. But I've gotten better. There is lots of room in the suitcase for the purchases I'll make of gifts for the family.

      Delete
  3. A lot getting done there. We're having snow and cold here, too, though it's not supposed to drop to very low temperatures until I go back to work next week. I'll be walking so the deep snow and -28 temperatures will be appreciated for what they are... As for the scarf, the moment I saw the colours, I thought of a sunset on a sultry day as viewed through half-closed Venetian blinds. How's that for an obscure association? I don't know, they just do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it has to wait until you're back to work. It looks like the week after Christmas will be much better.
      Your imagination is strong John, I wouldn't have come up with the association.

      Delete
  4. You are being very careful about your upcoming trip and it seems you have eliminated any snags ahead of time.
    Have fun with the DNA results. Should prove interesting. My step-sister found an unknown half brother that way. Guess her Dad got around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope I don't run into any snags. The first day has three flights and though I should have enough time between to make the next, it really depends on weather and mechanical. However, I checked and there is a later flight in Atlanta if I miss the connection there.
      I'm pretty certain there won't be any more children - Dad was a prude, but I guess one never knows. :p

      Delete
  5. I will look forward to your adventures on this coming cruise. It is good you checked the details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very well prepared for your trip. It pays to dot the i's and cross the t's for sure.

    We got a bit more snow today (not much just a dusting). I think we have more coming our way about mid week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. Yes, we had more snow on Sunday and again overnight. Not a lot, thankfully.

      Delete
  7. By the way, now, thanks to Red Green, whenever I read or hear the phrase 'winter of our discontent' or a variation of it, I think 'winter of our discount tent'...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound well prepared for your trip. It sounds wonderful and you deserve the getaway.
    See? Creative, making a lap blanket just out of the blue like that and the colors are attractive together.
    I'm skipping my walk this morning, so maybe I'll make Bill some real shortbread cookies. He doesn't like my almond flour ones and i understand why. They are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. I've run out of the yarn so I'm going to need to add a third color...we'll see how well it all looks then. :p

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!