Tuesday 3 January 2023

A start and a finish, and ready to go

 After the not-so-stellar end of 2022, I'm certainly hopeful that 2023 will be a better year. Starting it off with a trip to the heat of Central America and Mexico is a definitely a positive. We haven't had any more dumps of snow for the last few days and I'll take that too. 

I've spent my time cleaning the house, working on my crochet and cross stitch, finalizing some spreadsheets for 2022, revising a document for my kids that I update each time I travel, and finishing packing my suitcase and carryon. The document I revise has instructions should anything happen to me while I'm away, with important numbers and other information. I have a theory - nothing will happen, if the information is available. 

I've made a list of chores and reminders for my son too. He's likely to manage to do the dishes before I get home, but I suspect the vacuum will remain parked in the closet for the next couple of weeks. He also has a bad habit of ordering in, so I made a list of food items in the freezer and pantry that he can make for himself. He did tell me he is planning to cook more...we'll see.

My stash blanket is finished. It's not meant to large, just enough to cover me when I'm feeling chilled. It used up four balls of various yarn I had from other projects. I used a simple stitch pattern called lemon peel or griddle stitch and it worked up quickly. I finished off the edging with single crochet stitches. It will never win any prizes for looks but it does what I need it to do.


The counted cross stitch is a kit I picked up at Value Village on my last visit. (I know I have several I got earlier this year but this one will be perfect for D & Eli). I need good lighting to stitch so only work on it in the afternoon. I have a lamp set up behind the couch that helps - my living room window faces north so I don't have a lot of natural light. It's difficult to see in the photo but it's a piggy relaxing in a bathtub, with the starts of yellow rubber duck as well. Eventually it will have a list of rules for the bathroom. I use the magnifying glass with the pattern - trying to focus switching back and forth from the stitching to the pattern, even with tri-focal lenses, is slower than it used to be. 


When the cross stitching is complete, I'll do the backstitching and that will provide definition to the piece. 

I've managed to keep my suitcase well under the weight requirements - more room to bring back a few items on my return. Plus, I've learned that visiting countries with high humidity adds weight. The carry-on will have the last few items added just before the cab arrives to pick me up....at 3:45 a.m. I probably won't sleep; not to worry, I'm one of those people who can sleep on a plane. I certainly want to sleep in!

It happened to me once. I don't know if I set the alarm incorrectly or if I rolled over and shut it off. In any event, the cab driver called my phone and woke me up when I didn't come out of the house. I asked him to wait a few minutes, tossed on my clothes, splashed some water on my face, grabbed my bags and ran out to the car. I made my flight in plenty of time, since I'm always there well in advance but I never want to do that again!

I'm off to do the lengthy list of chores I've created to keep myself busy for the rest of the day. Otherwise I'll be bouncing off the walls. I'm home again on Jan 20th, and back to posting within a few days of that. 

Take care everyone!


13 comments:

  1. I hope you have a most wonderful trip savoring the sunshine and heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful, fun, safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful and warm trip! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a wonderful trip. Will look forward to hearing about your adventures.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have an awesome time!! We'll miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a wonderful holiday but I am envious. I took up cross stitch again this past fall after a thirty year hiatus. I have such a hard time seeing it now that I need a magnifying glass too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate having to rush somewhere after I’ve forgotten I must be there. Hurrying out of the house on my way to foreign parts would be the worst. Whether I’d forgotten something or not, I would always feel as if I had. I’m like you: I like to prepare well and be ahead of my time.

    Enjoy yourself. I look forward to your descriptions of the journey upon your return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time and enjoy not seeing any snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great trip!! Enjoy the warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT, being called (thank goodness) by the cabbie is a nightmare. I am too OCD to let that happen she said! I'd not sleep al night to KEEP it from happening. Heeeee. All is well that ended so well though/.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!