Sunday 29 January 2023

Huatulco, Mexico

As I mentioned in the last post, I did not have an excursion booked in this port - so there are fewer photos to share. I had never been to this port before and decided I would explore the port area, and knew there was a beach right off the pier.

I was awake about 5:30 that morning thinking I'd get up before we docked and perhaps catch the sunrise. Instead I thought 10 more minutes, and when I awoke next it was 6:40 a.m. and the ship was pulling into dock. When I checked the bridge cam, it appeared to be raining, so I decided to take it slow that morning. 

After a leisurely breakfast, again out on the deck, because if it has been raining, it had stopped by then. I headed up with my camera to take some photos of the port.


Even early in the morning, there were people relaxing on the beach.


This was shortly before the gangways were open for passengers to leave the ship. There is security at the end of the pier to ensure only passengers and crew of the cruise ships can walk the pier. There were local drivers with small golf carts assisting some passengers.

Off the pier was a marina which was busy the entire day. Catamarans and fishing boats were the first to head out to sea. If/when I return I'll look into a catamaran cruise around the area. Up on the hill is obviously a resort. They must have incredible views!


Several brown pelicans were waiting patiently for their breakfast. 


There were several restaurants and bars along the beach. The one on the left is where I had my lunch later that day.

I stopped at the stateroom to drop off my camera, and pick up my knitting and headed to Crooners bar for the Knitters and Knatters group. Interesting note - it wasn't unusual to see people grabbing their first drink of the day at 9:30 a.m - usually a Mimosa but occasionally a Margarita or other mixed drink. I assume these were passengers who had purchased the beverage package that allows up to 12 drinks per day - I guess trying to get their money's worth. 

There were four of us there that morning. Two weren't planning to leave the ship, one had an excursion booked for the afternoon, and I had decided to wait until the crowds leaving the ship that morning were well on their way. About 10:45 I left the group and headed back to the stateroom to drop the knitting, and to pick-up my wallet for the walk into town. I had already decided I would have a meal there at one of the cafes.

I ran into three of the solos/singles on the pier. Two of them had been off the ship by 8:30 and were heading back on-board after a little browsing in the shops. I think the other had an excursion. I wandered around a bit, but really had no shopping in mind. The vendors weren't as vocal and grabby as they had been in Colombia and I did go into a couple of interesting looking shops. 

There was nothing I couldn't live without so I carried on to look at the church. I've since learned that the Chapel of Santa Cruz is a popular wedding destination because of its location and views of the ocean and beach. There wasn't a wedding going on but there were many people wandering in and through the building. Hence, I only took a photo of part of the church.

I was walking past a cafe when a young man offered me a menu. I took it, and asked about WiFi - he assured me they had it and I agreed to take a table. As I entered the restaurant it was clear it was a local favorite as there were many families enjoying a meal there too. To start, I ordered a local beer, and later a plate of fish tacos. 

With WiFi, I was able to have a chat with D for twenty minutes while I waited for my food and watched the people around me. This is when I learned about Lady Spencer's arrival. I didn't hurry my meal as there were lots of tables and it was cool in the shade. 

Then it was time for a walk along the beach, and to get my feet in the Pacific ocean. It was quite busy with lots of families, so I didn't stay long. I was back onboard ship by 1 p.m. I spent the afternoon reading and taking more photos.


Across from the ship there were a number of resorts up on the hill. 

This is probably my favorite of the bunch. To the right there was one that is under construction and looked almost abandoned.

Further down the shoreline closer to the entrance from the ocean to the port was this group. I assume these are local families out for a day at the beach. 


This photo made me laugh. A pair of fishermen were clearly cleaning their catch and tossing bits into the water. That brown spot you see in the center by the boat is a brown pelican diving into the water to get a bite.

I did stay out for sail-away, and then headed back to my stateroom to clean up for the evening.  It was a laid back, quiet day on the Island Princess. I quite enjoyed my visit into the port area, and can see myself visiting again in the future. (I don't often say that about Mexican ports).

Funny thing, a couple of days later I received a message from a friend from grade school. She, her mother, and sister were in Huatulco when I was there and had seen the ship come in. Had she realized I was on board we would have gotten together for a visit. 

Next up - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

16 comments:

  1. The first photograph makes Huatulco look like a small town clustered around a bay. I guess it spreads out from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you're right - I didn't go any further than the beach area, but based on the number of small boats in the marina, and the number of resorts (that would be staffed) I'm sure it's larger than it looks.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful port! I love that one too. Your favourite.
    What a coincidence that a friend was at the same place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of Mexico, for various reasons, but this is a port I'd happily return to.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I cannot even begin to imagine waking up in such a beautiful place and on the water every day. The locals probably take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I'm sure they do and they couldn't imagine waking up somewhere with snow and cold either. :)

      Delete
  4. I think you need a relaxing day when you are cruising like that rather than have another excursion. Amazing that someone you knew was there in port! Too bad you missed each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a total of 8 sea days as well - so I definitely got to relax. It was a shame I didn't get a chance to meet with K.

      Delete
  5. As I sit here, heat on, drizzling and foggy beyond the window, I am trying really hard not be be jealous and simply say, Looks like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel any better, I'm at home and it was -26C(-15F) with a wind chill of -37C(-35F) this morning. I wish I were still on the cruise.

      Delete
  6. I have really enjoyed your posts and pictures of your travels. Jealous much?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the pelicans (and the sea turtles earlier) and all the buildings. Wish I had been there~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!