Saturday 18 February 2023

A little work, some rest, and friendly encounters

 How can it be that it is already mid-February? We're definitely on the downward slide towards spring. Winter, however, won't let go for awhile yet. We had a couple of really cold days this week, and more cold is expected by mid-week next week.

Certain days this week have been busy, others have not. I did absolutely nothing on Monday beyond putter on the computer, stitch and catch up on a few television programs. The following day was much busier (and colder!). Had I been paying attention, I likely would have done my grocery shopping on Monday, as Tuesday was windy and cold. But I wanted to go out anyway on Tuesday, as I had plans to meet a friend for lunch. She and I worked together, in fact did our training together (1997), though worked in different offices. We became good friends when the two locations were merged about five years before we retired. We had a lovely visit, catching up on kids, grandkids, and our activities. 

After our lunch I headed to C's apartment to help her with some paperwork related to her mom's estate. That was dealt with in short order, and we had a good visit. She's arranged for a storage unit, and will be moving items from her mom's condo this weekend. These are items she plans to sell at some point, but isn't ready to do so yet. Her oldest son, will be helping with the move.

Wednesday was stitch and chat - there were three of us again. I, R, and myself. We learned that R is 87, and I would tell you she seems much younger. She was telling us of the various activities she does: quilting group on one day of the week, knitting group on Tuesday at another library in the city, now the one we attend, and she's looking for more. She has been crocheting slippers for women's shelters and wants to do something different - she mentioned knitting toys for kids. I mentioned I'd made a duck for Eli one Easter, and a Rudolph reindeer for myself this past Christmas. She asked if I would mind sharing the patterns - since I got them from Pinterest, I e-mailed her the links when I got home. (She's replied and mentioned how excited she is to start a new project).

I finally got around to starting my decluttering on Thursday. Up first were the lower kitchen cabinets. I got my work-out for the day, crawling around on the floor, emptying the cabinets, vacuuming and wiping down the shelves and deciding what would stay and what would be donated or tossed. I've rearranged a few things as well - let's see if I remember where. Actually, it should be fine because like items are now stored together. (I do have far too many Christmas tins - I kept them for now.)

Friday was another quiet day - my son was home from work. He took the day off after two days of first aid training. Since he likes to sleep in, I tend to keep things quiet and enjoy my relaxation as well. I'll get up and feed Saku and then head back to bed for an hour or so. Later in the morning, I managed to get about half the upper cabinets cleaned and decluttered. I learned that I hadn't left room in the lowers for a couple of items, so did a bit more rearranging and everything fits! The biggest "mess" was the spice cupboard - I wish I had drawer space for them, but instead I have a narrow three shelf cabinet to the side and above the stove. The spices are now sorted by those used in regular meal cooking and those for baking, while bouillion and gelatin were tucked up on the third shelf in a small container as I use them less frequently. By this point I was done and decided the rest of the cabinets, including the pantry cabinet (five shelves) can wait until tomorrow or Sunday...or later in the week.

The Scotties Tournament of Hearts draw started Friday evening, at 8 p.m. Our Saskatchewan team lost, after one bad end when they gave up four points. They fought hard but the other team played too well for them to overcome the deficit. They weren't the feature game, that was between the young Alberta team and the current Canadian champions. At one point, mid-game, the Albertans lead 5-2, but the champs came back and won. There are two draws today, one at 3 p.m. and one at 8 p.m. 

Ancestry has kept me busy too - no really interesting stories in this last batch of relatives. My cross-stitching is nearing completion - though I have a lot of backstitching to do, and I've started the first sleeve of Eli's sweater. It would go must faster if I picked it up more frequently. 

I'll end with a few photos taken in the past day or so of the birds at the feeder in the back yard. The Hungarian partridges have been back too, but I haven't captured them as they are very skittish and fly off when I come close to the sun room windows.


There are three grackles hanging aound. They tend to bully the smaller birds, so I when I notice them, I tend to chase them off.


There are a bazillion (that's my official count and I'm sticking to it), of these sparrows.

The purple finch is back too - I haven't seen them in months. 

You'll notice that we're gray and overcast here. That's the part of winter I dislike the most. Hopefully the sun will re-appear as it gets colder next week. 

Have a good week ahead everyone!


13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a week well spent! Always feels good to organize something! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're always busy! That older lady is quite inspirational, IMO - 87 and still engaged and involved in her hobbies. That's keeping her young, I expect.

    Congrats on the decluttering and cleaning. Kitchens, no matter how large or small, are always daunting, IMO. My space is so tiny, it's easy for things to get out of hand quickly. LOL.

    Take care and have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't R something? She puts me in mind of my mom (and is about 6 years younger than her) - she's a bit gruff and comes off a bit prickly and very opinionated but I like her. I think it will be interesting when the rest of the group return from their winter travels.
      I have a pretty large kitchen and don't use all of the cabinet space, but getting rid of some rarely/never used items and doing a reorganization of the rest emptied another couple.

      Delete
  3. I hope I'm as active and with it as R at 87. I think people like that have probably been active all their lives. I don't know if I qualify for that description or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I'm still alive at 87, but I agree with your thoughts. My Dad was always very active, riding his bicycle, working at the museum, and curling into his 90's. Even after his stroke and a fall, he continued to exercise when he could. I'm sure genetics played a part, as his mom was in her 90's too when she passed.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a nice week to me. I have new birds showing up as well. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice week Cheryl. I quite enjoy watching the birds at the feeder.

      Delete
  5. We have had a few days of sun recently and my whole outlook feels different. The grey overcast of a long winter is draining!

    I hope at 87, if I live, I’ll have an interest in something like R.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe we might have sun later this week, but it will be only "partly" sunny. More clouds and snow showers expected today.
      Agreed, I hope I have half the energy that R displays, should I be fortunate to live that long.

      Delete
  6. Fun to hear what your crochet group is like. The Purple Finch is such a pretty bird...I agree a bazillion sparrows:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think we'll run out of sparrows for awhile. :)

      Delete
  7. Your week sounds perfect. Some quiet days and others busy.
    I love the bird pics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!