Saturday 11 February 2023

Things happen

Wednesday's photo was sent to me by my daughter. I should note, the house she lives in is over 110 years old. We were chatting on the phone one day, in the late afternoon, and suddenly a piece of plaster fell from the kitchen ceiling. There has been a lot of freeze/thaw in her area (and mine) over the last few days. The roof above her kitchen has a steep pitch with a eaves trough on the peak. That's seems like an odd place for eaves trough to me. In any event the trough isn't draining off the side of the house and large icicles have formed. There is also a very old antenna on that part of the roof, and I suspect that in the winds, it may have lifted some of the shingles allowing the melt to make its way into the house. We won't know for certain for awhile yet, as the roofers in town are busy and she's not been able to get anyone out to look at it just yet. Fingers crossed, next week. In the meantime, there hasn't been much more leaking.

It's been a full week here, I was in a cleaning frenzy for a couple of days. It isn't as though I don't regularly clean and tidy, but on these days I completed what would normally take me the full week. It was almost like those weekend cleaning sprees when I was working because I was too tired during the week to do much in the evenings. 

On Tuesday, I picked up my friend C to do a bit of thrift shopping. We went to Value Village and Salvation Army before enjoying a coffee and sandwich at Tim Hortons. She scored a lovely purse for $3.66 at V.V. I found divider plates for Eli, two Easter egg kits to paint for Eli, a glass cake pan for me, and of course, more yarn for less than $20. After our lunch, we headed to her mom's house as she wanted me to look through a box of knitting patterns - I found two that I thought I might be able to use. She and her brother have been busy packing things up, and preparing to move, sell, donate or toss their mother's furniture and furnishing. They've cleared out a lot, and everything that is left has been moved to the living room, kitchen and garage. There are a lot of memories in those rooms. C showed me some of her baby clothing, sweet hand knitted or sewn items that her mother or grandmother had made for her. They've set a deadline of March 15 to have the house cleared so they can have it cleaned, and put up for sale. 

I've also spent some time working on Ancestry. I don't know if I've mentioned that I received my results from the DNA test. There were no surprises from the breakdown of countries of origin - primarily Ireland, Scotland, England, a wee bit of Wales and Germany. I had hoped that the test might crack open the mystery of my materna great-great grandfather who emigrated from Scotland. Sadly, that hasn't happened (yet - hope springs eternal, right?), instead I've had several messages from distant relatives on my father's side of the tree. One of those messages added a whole lot of information to my tree, so I've been working through these new additions. I try not to spend more than a couple of hours a day at it, because I start getting confused by all the detail. I still need to go through the DNA connections but there are over 400 of them, so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and not certain where exactly I'll start. I do know many of them, have no or private family trees, so I probably won't get any more information from them.


My other project this week is continuing to work on the counted cross stitch. I work on it in the afternoon while the light is good. At stitch and chat on Wednesday I got a good 90 minutes in. There were three of us there, me, I, and R. Apparently R has been there previously about 4 years ago, so prior to my attendance and the two women had also attended the same church. R's husband passed away, she moved from their home into a condo, and as she said, "life got in the way". She told us at the end of the afternoon, that she'd be back next week with her friend W. I do enjoy my chats with I, but having a few more ladies there will be nice too.

Friday, I needed to run out to pick up some cat litter and bird seed, and decided to stop by the salon to see if I could get a walk-in appointment. I walked out a half-hour later, feeling human again, after she cut off about 5-6 inches of hair. It is now just below my shoulders so I can still pull it back as need be. Oh, and I remembered the bird seed but not the cat litter, so I'll add it to the list for my grocery day next week. 

Of course, I've been watching curling too. The men's provincial events for both Manitoba and Alberta have been streaming on You-tube. I haven't watched all the games, as I don't know several of the teams. I've managed to catch two or three draws a day, with the most interesting game last night. I went to bed at what I thought was the end of the game, assuming a certain team had lost. When I checked the scores this morning I discovered they had not, and had won in the extra end. Huh...I saw the last shot of the 10th? So I pulled up the video and discovered that a measure had determined they had the shot rock after all, and tied the game, which meant an extra end. They stole a point and won and are off to the play-offs against another popular team. That game will be played this evening, and you can bet I won't go to bed until the winner is declared. :)

Today will be much the same, some curling - Manitoba games are starting up in a few minutes, some stitching, some housework between draws, and maybe a bit of knitting. I'm sure I'll have the sun room open for the cat later today, as our temperature is expected to reach the freezing point. With the sun streaming in, the room warms up nicely. I may even take my laptop (the WiFi works there) and my stitching and join him.

Have a great weekend everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Roof leaks are the worst, hope the damage is not too bad. We are enjoying the warmer weather, it probably won't last but the sunshine is nice as is above freezing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your daughter's roof. Hopefully it gets taken care of quickly.
    You have had a busy week. You sure are a social butterfly.
    I agree genealogy can sure make your head swim. I put mine away quite a while back - just too darn confusing. I need to get back at it.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we can have too much information all at once: in researching history - personal or otherwise - people sometimes have too little to go on or too much. At least you'll have enough to keep you busy. And I love old houses, but they do need repairs now and then - though probably not more than the ones that are slapped together these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to your daughter re: the roof. I do hope it can be resolved quickly--and properly.

    Ditto on the information overload, whether it be one's ancestry or anything else. I know little about either side of my family, though since Dad's side all came from Latvia, including his parents, I'm sure they will remain a mystery. (Dad and his brother were born in Germany, though, after their parents fled Latvia from the Russians.)

    Enjoy the curling, you've earned a break from your frenzy of cleaning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are thinking of moving into a condo. Oh the stuff we have to get rid of…ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the roof issue is a quick fix for your daughter.
    My son has been doing a deep dive into our ancestry. It gets interesting pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that we went to metal roofing on the 101 year old part of our home. Haven't had a leak since doing that.

    Your cross stitch is coming along nicely.

    I have pages and pages yet to go through on 23 and me of people that could/should be related. Makes my mind spin. Supposedly they found another 68 that could be related.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ancestry sounds similar to mine. A bit of Wales I didn’t know about in mine and the mystery of my paternal great grandfather from Scotland is unsolved. Maybe we’re related. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours and my ancestry is amazingly the same. I think... I have almost equal Scottish and British. A smattering of Wales as well. And a touch of German. That is on my Dad's side. Mother's is Irish and German and not too sure as to the rest. My youngest does the genealogy for us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!