Saturday 25 February 2023

Bitter cold and just plain bitter, better days ahead

Warning: there is a bit of a rant ahead. This freaking winter weather is driving me batty. It was stupid cold for several days this week, with -30C (-22F) and windchills closer to -40C/F in the early mornings. Day time highs were 10 degrees warmer but to add insult to injury, we had snow and wind as well. Thankfully, not a lot of snow, but with the wind it tends to blow in on certain parts of the driveway and sidewalks. 

Oh, that reminds me. Recall the city by-law that requires residents to clear their sidewalks within 48 hours of a snowfall or risk a fine of $300 to be added to their property taxes?  Recently, there were two individuals in the local news regarding this by-law. The first, a handicapped individual who was charged $482 for the clean-up of his sidewalks (he lives on a corner lot), when the volunteer from the Snow Angel group didn't clean the sidewalks to the width required. As with the second individual this was due in part to the city plows pushing snow from the streets onto the sidewalk. After some back and forth with the city, that fee has been cancelled. As the homeowner stated, he can't afford to pay to have his sidewalks cleared and he certainly can't afford to pay the additonal fees...especially as the city expects it to be paid with 90 days.

The second individual happens to be a former co-worker of mine. He lives on a crescent and the City plows that cleared the crescent pushed the snow onto the side walks and driveways. When he called the city to complain, a by-law officer came by and gave him a warning to clear it himself. He went to the local television news station and suddenly large equipment showed up in his crescent and took all the snow and ice build up, pushed it into the center of the crescent and then trucked it out. 

Our City Manager has now come out and said that some "logic and empathy" should be applied to the policy. One councillor has suggested the by-law needs to be reviewed. I concur, especially when the cause of the problem is often the city plows. They've done the same on my side of the street, but so far no one has complained as most of us have cleared a wide enough path. Even though I long for spring, these troughs (with snow piles on either side) will be ponds in warm weather and skating rinks in the cold. That's when I get out and shovel the snow they've piled up onto the street again. Not supposed to do that either. Too bad, so sad as my dad used to say.

Needless to say I stayed indoors as much as posible this week, with quick trips out to the bird feeder and the mailbox, and one afternoon trip to pick up some groceries, I've accomplished that goal. Basically, I've spent my week puttering around the house in between curling draws, knitting and cross-stitching while the games are on, working on Ancestry, and cursing the weather the rest of the time. I didn't even go out to Stitch and Chat on Wednesday because it was so miserably cold.

Anyway, enough of that whining. We're supposed to get a break from the cold this weekend, and I've got plans to head out to my daughter's later next week. Someone is turning 6 on Thursday! Here's a cute photo my daughter sent me - they had a dress-up day for Valentine's Day at school. Lots of exchanging of Valentines and candy too. Do you see he's lost his first tooth? Exciting times, and let me tell you, I'm glad I'm not the tooth fairy - inflation has caused the price of teeth to go up. At least according to my daughter.

The Scotties Women's curling will come to an end this Sunday. It's been a great week of curling with some really incredible shots (and some stinkers too). Our Sask. women didn't have a great week. They couldn't seem to find their draw and hit weights and the skip wasn't able to put the broom in the right place. Sadly, they won only two of their eight games. Maybe next year. Last night's games were very exciting and since TSN is re-airing the broadcast this morning, I've got it on while I read blogs and work on Ancestry.

I'll leave you with a photo of a very special backyard visitor. The squirrels have broken the cage I used to hang the suet, so had placed it on top of the feeder. Something (probably a squirrel or larger bird) had knocked it to the ground. I had seen a larger bird on the fence and hustled to get my camera. The photo was taken about 8 a.m. and it was overcast so the quality isn't the best, but what you see here is a Northern Flicker, a woodpecker.


I've run out of suet, so will pick some up sometime this week. My cousin suggested a mesh onion bag to hold it and it just happens I bought onions in my groceries this week. I'll rig up the bag and hang it on the tree that holds the bird feeder. Hopefully the squirrels will leave it alone.

Have a great week ahead everyone!


18 comments:

  1. Local government can be the most rigid and unfeeling of governments. I think it might be a case of 'give someone a taste of power'... Well, at least the Northern Flicker's a cutie, with his tiny eye and red cheek...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that local governments seem to be most rigid. Though I suspect with the current management, it's likely more of a case of do as we say without allowing employees the power to use their heads for more than a hat rack.
      I was so excited to see the Northern Flicker. I've seen one previously in the park but from a distance.

      Delete
  2. You have a right to whine about winter! I'm downright cranky, sick of all our snow and cold, with more snow on the way Monday night. (It's snowing now, but not enough to shovel yet.)

    Ha, good for your former coworker, for going to the media. I'm glad it worked!

    Happy early birthday to Eli (6!!), I hope you have a terrific visit with him.

    Have a great week, and maybe the woodpecker will hang around. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes I think I whine far too much and I should be used to the cold and snow by now, but it seems, the older I get the more I hate it. I hope your snow eases off soon.
      I was impressed with Ted. He mentioned in the news article that he was prepared to take the city to court over this. I suspect it would have been a class action. :)
      I can't believe Eli will be 6 - the years have passed so quickly. For the woodpecker, I need to get more suet and hopefully it will return.

      Delete
  3. We have a law here about cleaning walks - but it is never followed or fined. I always clear mine at least one single path. Some folks just can't do.
    I have heard all week about the frigid cold and bad weather north. ICK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit enter before done! I had to stop with suet, as the squirrels ate no matter how I hung it. My woodpeckers love peanuts in shell. I put them up in feeder that squirrel can't get to.
      Stay warm and be safe.

      Delete
    2. I suspect it is a losing battle against the squirrels but I'll give it a try. Truthfully I don't mind feeding them, but I'd rather the birds got the first shot.

      Delete
  4. So glad to read that the city is re-looking at this by-law. On Kris's street he has a rather large lump of snow in front of his house with barely any room to park. Half the road is clear and the other half still has large ruts.....

    Stayed in here as well as it was much too cold to do much of anything outdoors. I finally went for a short (very short) walk today. Still almost froze with the wind.

    Hopefully next week gives us much nicer weather.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, our streets are horrible. They send the plows to the residential areas about twice a year and leave more of a mess than they found. Spring can be particularly bad due to the depth of the snow on the street. The first couple of years we lived in this house were particularly bad and more than once a tow truck had to assist someone.

      Delete
  5. Such cold is almost unimaginable though we had similar cold for two days. I don’t blame you for staying in as much as possible. I stayed in here when it was that cold. Happy birthday to your little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk Marie! I'm looking forward to celebrating with the little (now big) guy. :)

      Delete
  6. Rant away my friend! That's ridiculous! In our city, we didn't have sidewalks on our street but those that did, had city sidewalk plows come by and clear them. It was not up to the residents to clear them. I hope you get some warmth soon.
    That young fellow is so cute and even more with the missing $10 tooth! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! I'm so over winter. Bring back some better weather when your return to the country in April, will you?

      Delete
  7. While you are ranting about the cold, I am ranting about the warm temps. It is too early to be this warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real shame we can't share a bit of the temperatures with one another - more temperate climate would be nice.

      Delete
    2. Boy here too. It gets so humid and hot in summer you just about have to stay in.

      Delete
  8. That is a terrible ordinance the city has. I am so glad someone went to the TV station and were able to get that heard. That was terrible. Thank goodness I don't live there. I would be fined constantly as I have heart issues and have to hire all my yard work done here. (I live on a hill, and our yards are all hilly too. Just can't do it. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful that this winter will have proven the by-law is not workable and the council will revisit it this spring. You wouldn't have to worry about fines if you could afford to pay someone else to do it. Sadly, that isn't the case for many residents in the city.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!