Saturday 12 August 2023

A short'ish update

No offers yet, though we've had six showings over two days. Another showing is scheduled for noon and the open house will be held from 2-4 p.m. today. I questioned the showing for noon - could they not wait until the open house? My realtor responded that they want to check it out without the crowds. I presume this means he's expecting a busy open house.

We did get some feedback and some of it made me laugh, but there was some good stuff too:

"Buyers didn't care for the layout. And the kitchen was a bit dark with the sun room on there." 

That evening, I had the black-out curtains in the sun room closed because it was a warm afternoon, and I was trying to keep the sun room from being too hot. The sun room does block direct sunlight...but opening the curtains would have brought in some. 

"They liked the house but it's a bit tight for them. Shows very well."

This made me chuckle, as the size is disclosed on the website, but it also made me wonder how big their family would be. It was nice to hear the house shows well.

"My clients quite like the location but felt there would be too many changes they'd want/need to make to have it feel like their own."

My guess - they don't like the new flooring or the paint colour, or maybe the fact I don't have granite counter tops in the kitchen and bathroom. This is likely a couple who want a brand new house but aren't willing to pay the price it would require. 

"Very cute home that had been very well taken care of. I don't think this is quite what he is looking for but agreed better than other options he has seen. Nothing against the house just not quite the right location."

Another nice compliment, but again I have to chuckle because the location is clear. Maybe he'll change his mind on the location if the remaining properties don't come up to his standards.

It is somewhat frustrating, having people visit with no real motivation to purchase based on the size of the home or the location. Of course, having said that, C and I will be heading out this afternoon to look at a couple of houses that we don't think we'd actually want him to purchase. These are open houses however, not showings. The point of the visits, is to allow him to see what is available in his price range, and provide properties he can compare to the one he eventually buys. (No buying until I sell mine.)

The question has been asked, where will I live when the house sells? The plan goes something like this: C will purchase a property that has space for me. One we're most interested in has a developed basement with a living space, bedroom and bath, along with the laundry/storage/furnace room. I would live with him in that space and later he could have a roommate.  Then I'll help my daughter D find a larger place in her  community, with similar space for me. Once she's moved out, we'll list her house for sale. My goal is live part-time with both of them, for about 8 months of the year, and spend the other 4 months travelling. I'll do that as long as I'm physically able. I do know, at this point, I don't intend on purchasing another home of my own. 

I'm off to deadhead the plants, and clean up some debris in the yard from the wind. Have a great weekend everyone! 



16 comments:

  1. People are amazing. Yes, it tells they size and there are pics. They knew the location to drive there! It will sell to just the right family.
    Good plan you have on living arrangements in the future!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I'll be happy when things fall into place.

      Delete
  2. I hope the right buyer comes along sooner than later. All this just makes me dread the process of selling my townhouse, eventually, even though I don't like living here! I have to say, I wouldn't bother to look at a house in a location I didn't want. I might look at one that didn't have all I wanted, because there always are compromises and as long as the bones of the house are good, other things can be changed.

    Your living arrangements should work out well! It's a great idea for your son and your daughter to each buy homes with an apartment/in-law suite/granny flat...whatever you want to call it. :-)

    Good luck with your own house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for the right buyer too....and the sooner the better.
      Oh, I can understand viewing a house with the thought that I could make it as I would like it to be. It's hard to tell just from the photos. It's those who know darn well it will be too small or in the wrong area of town that drive me nuts.
      The living arrangements with the kids will allow me to some freedom while still having some stability and a safe place (or rather two) to land. Besides I'll get to spend more time with the love my life, Eli!

      Delete
  3. Perhaps a lot of viewers are brought in by realtors on the chance that the house is something they will like, even if it's not what they told the realtor they are seeking. But one of them may decide that your house is better than what they wanted.

    Your plans for your future living arrangements are interesting; I've not heard of living part-time with two children before. I think you may be on to something - if Saku approves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your point John, as the inventory in the city is quite low. Realtors will show anything with the hopes of a sale.

      Saku will be staying with C, as D has three cats of her own. He's not a friendly cat and hates car rides, and he'll be quite happy with my son. C won't wake up at 5 am. to feed him, like I do, but he'll probably get a late night snack. :)

      Delete
  4. I often wonder what people would think of our place. We only have one bathroom but managed to raise 2 boys in here as well as have many visitors.

    I love the layout of your home and the sunroom is gorgeous!!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a smaller house, with four kids and two adults and one bathroom. When I bought this house, both my children were adults and needed space o f their own. Now that it's just C and I we're rattling around in this place.

      Delete
  5. Hang in there! The right person will see the house soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm optimistic it will happen, it's the timing that is causing me some grief.

      Delete
  6. Hoping the showings this weekend will have the results you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hated hearing what people thought of a house after a showing. Placement of furniture, color is walls etc.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My realtor is pretty good at glossing over those for the most part. I had a couple of concerns and so far, none of those have been mentioned.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!