Saturday 5 August 2023

The heat is on

The photo on Wednesday was, indeed, the remains of the tree stump that the landscaper left behind. He wasn't able to get the stump grinder into the back yard, and I guess they decided not to try to chop it out. After the weeks it took to get their work finished, I wasn't about to argue about it.

My friend K had called on Saturday to catch up, and I mentioned I was going to go out to the farm and get an axe from my brother to deal with the tree stump myself. On Monday morning, she called and asked whether I'd be home that afternoon and a couple hours later, she and her partner J arrived with a shovel, an axe, and a sledge hammer.  Before they arrived, I had moved the gravel out of the way and dug out some of the dirt around the stump. J got right at it with the axe while K and I retired to the deck (and out of the way of flying wood chips). He stopped briefly to take a break, and then went back at it; after chopping out most of it, he used the sledge hammer, and voila, it was as you saw it in the photo. I told J he's my hero!

When that bit of work finished, we went indoors to cool off in the a/c, it was about 32C/90F and I know J especially needed to cool down. We visited for awhile before they left. I'm so appreciative of my good friends. I know it would have taken a lot more effort on my part to get that stump out, had I even been able to swing the axe properly.

The heat has returned this week, so Tuesday morning I was out early to clean up the wood chips, to fill the hole - I used the soil from the planter I had harvested the onions from, and rake the rocks back in place.

This photo likely doesn't look any different than it did in an early photo, but just behind the left side of the arch is where the tree stump was causing me much annoyance. 

The weed spray seems to be working too, as I'm finding less each day. (And yes, the lawn needs mowing again.) I'm back to watering twice a day, as there are spots that are dying back, so I've spread some seed on those areas. I'm not sure why I'm so concerned, as the last sold listing in my neighbourhood that my agent sent me photos of showed a dead lawn both front and back. 

Later that morning, I took a run out to Costco. I wanted to pick up two things, a container of Mr. Clean and some smart plugs. I got both, plus a case Friskies wet cat food, and Eli's Christmas gift. Unfortunately, the smart plugs don't work with the 5G internet connection I have so I'll need to return them to the store. I did wonder at how inexpensive they were on clearance and discovered at home, they work with a 2.4 gigahertz something or other connection. This time, I'll go to the return desk and avoid the rest of the store. 

From there I did a quick trip to Dollarama to pick up a some garden stakes - my tomatoes are falling over as the fruit grows, even with the tomato cages, and I needed some burner liners for the stove. Walmart was next and it was a very quick in and out of the store. About a week ago, I'd found Ben's Original Smoky Flavour Rice and Red beans on sale. We hadn't tried before so I bought a package; we had it with grilled Cajun seasoned pork chops and it was a hit with both of us. I discovered the store had low stock, but managed to find three packages for the pantry. It's so quick and easy, it can be microwaved or heated up on the stove (about 5 minutes) with two tablespoons of water. I use the latter method, as I think it adds a bit more texture to the rice. My son adds hot sauce and is a happy boy. 

I'm aware I could make something similar - though I suspect without the smoky flavour - but at the moment it's nice to have something that doesn't heat up the house while I'm outside using the grill. 

Wednesday morning, I spent a lot of time on Ancestry. I'd had a message from a young woman from the States asking questions about her great-grandfather as he appears in my mother's family tree. I went through the information I had and was able to share the connection - her 4XGGrandfather was the brother of my 3XGGrandfather. Her great-grandfather was born in Ontario, moved to Alberta in the early 1900's with his family, and then made the move to Washington State when he was just 19. He married and had three sons. 

This brought more questions, as she was curious about her grandfather Tom. I had some information I was able to share and the plot thickened. Tom married in 1955, had two children with his wife, but by 1958 she had filed a suit for divorce (due to cruelty). Sadly, she passed away in August of that year as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident. It took a bit of poking around in Newspapers.com but I discovered that their two daughters were apparently adopted by their mother's parents as both girls used their mother's maiden name when they married in the mid-70's. (I had their maternal grandfather's name from their parent's wedding documentation) 

Tom had left Washington at this point, and it appears he lived for some time in California, then later moved to Nevada. I had found a possibility that he may have married again, and my correspondent confirmed he did indeed re-marry to her grandmother. Armed with that information, I was able to confirm that marriage was again short-lived, from 1962 to 1966, and three children were born of this union, one daughter and two sons. He married once more in 1987, and passed away in 1997.

S told me, that her mother and uncles did not know their father and she was hoping to find more information. I pointed out that he had served in the U.S. army in the Korean war and perhaps the Veterans Affairs department might be able to provide more information. Her inquiries piqued my interest and I started looking at the other two brothers. Although I'd been able to find a fair amount of information about Tom, these two are far more enigmatic. I love a good mystery so made a note to return to this branch to do some more research another day.

Wednesday afternoon was stitch and chat, with just B and I in attendance. I do enjoy these one on one opportunities as we learn more about our lives. She mentioned living in a small town outside of Saskatoon when she was a young girl. Well, my oldest brother's first wife was from the same community - did she know her? It turns out she was a couple of years younger than my former SIL, but knew the family. It definitely is a small world. 

Thursday heated up quickly (34C/93F) by mid-afternoon. The next door neighbour was having their roof re-shingled that morning, and the noise was annoying. To get away from it briefly, I headed out to the thrift stores. D had mentioned that Eli was short of sweat pants. I found a couple of pair at Value Village and another pair at the Salvation Army store. I also scored another large plastic tote at the SA store. All in all, a good bit of thrift shopping. Better still, by the time I arrived home, the crew were cleaning up after themselves. With four guys on the roof, they made short work of the job.

On Friday morning, after my call with my daughter, I spent my time outdoors. The lawn was mowed, I spread some soil in the dying patches, added grass seed and gave it all a good watering. I quite enjoyed the watering time, with a good book and a cup of tea. Next up was trimming the edges of the lawn, deadheading the containers and cleaning up debris on the deck (from the flowers and the evergreen). After lunch I went out front and did the same, including sweeping the driveway. By the time I finished there was about a half large garbage bag full. The city is rolling out compost bins in the next few weeks and I'm planning to fill it up!

Today started off cool, at about 14C(57F), but it should reach 30C(86F) later today. I've been lazy this morning, in fact I'm finishing this post as I relax in bed....and it's after 8 a.m.! I did get up earlier to feed the cat and make a cup of tea. I'll head out soon to water again this morning, and my other big goal for the day is to go through the house and put things away. Like the toaster that sits out on the kitchen counter, the cat treats that can go back into the cupboard, the books and crocheting/knitting projects that are stacked on end tables, and the pile of items I've gathered up for D.....the list goes on. All of those things need to find hidey-holes to ensure the house looks uncluttered (it isn't really) and impersonal so that home buyers can imagine themselves living here. At least that's what the television programs tell me. I have to laugh, because the house I purchased before this one, had a tenant living in it. When we went for the first viewing, the small living room was crowded with oversized furniture, the laundry room had a pile of dirty clothing about 3 feet high, and the kitchen sink was piled with dirty dishes. I could see past all that stuff, and by the time the home inspection was carried out, everything was cleared out.

Anyway, rant over (at least for now - we'll see how the upcoming week goes). It's time to go out and enjoy a cup of tea on the deck while the water bill goes up. 

Perhaps I'll have more visitors to the bird bath to watch. There were two robins yesterday - they reminded me that it needed filling.

Have a great week ahead everyone!




20 comments:

  1. You are ready to show the house by the sound of things. Lots of work but I hope it sells quickly and you get over asking price. My MIL is selling her condo in Newfoundland and the agent told her to expect multiple offers. She hopes so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, I'm hoping for a quick sale too. Good luck to your MIL.

      Delete
  2. It all sounds and looks nice. I sure hope all your work is rewarded in a good payday!!!! You did quite the investigating job for that gal. Ms. Detective you are!!!!! Good job.
    Have a relaxing rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I quite enjoy the research - in my previous work, I spent a few years doing a lot of it for other reasons and I always enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. That was fantastic work on J's part! Yay for getting it done.
    Yes, it sounds like you're just about ready to list the house. Like you, I don't care if a house is staged, though I would appreciate that it's clean and tidy. (Not always the case in listings I've seen online!) I actually like if there are personal touches, though not clutter. Each to their own!

    I'm lost with your ancestors. I would need one of those giant family trees, like you see on "Finding Your Roots," to keep track. I can't even keep track of my own very few relatives!

    Take care and have a great long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I'm so appreciative of J efforts. He enjoys my shortbread cookies, so I'll be sure to bake more for him at Christmas.
      I actually have two family trees, one for my Dad's side, the other for my Mom's. I think I'm at about 15000 people with both trees...so I certainly don't remember them all. :)

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, considering I have photos of family all over I very much doubt our home will ever look unlived in....

    Wow, you managed to give the young lady lots of information on her family.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of the HGTV type shows give people the wrong impression. Much more important is ensuring the house is clean and the maintenance is kept up (furnace filters, eavestroughs, and small repairs). Having been unsuccessful in my last attempt to sell in 2019, I'm probably going overboard but I'm anxious to be elsewhere.
      It is interesting that the US permits much more personal information to be shared. For example, I was able to locate marriage and divorce info up to 1987 for this man, but in Canada, marriage info is usually restricted. It helps that up until 1990 or so, people would announce their engagement and marriage in local newspapers. But that works only for larger centres as most small community papers are not readily available.

      Delete
  5. I found a stitch and chat to go to this winter, it should be fun! Your back yard looks great! Glad your stump is gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy the stitch and chat, and the other crafters will appreciate your experience.
      I'm so grateful that stump is gone. They may not know it but so will the new owners.

      Delete
  6. always like a visit to the house for me, when I read your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it's hot here, too. I enjoy the spring, with its fresh greenery and reasonable temperatures, but dislike the summer more and more. I like the idea of summer (or perhaps I should write 'ideal summer') but not the real thing.

    You'd be a great addition to a detective agency, the person who is always surrounded by piles of books and documents, and whom the detective can't learn anything without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about the summer temps. I prefer a more temperate climate, between -25C and 25C. Once it goes beyond those temperatures I tend to get cranky.
      Thanks John, I do love a good mystery. I'm sad to say, my own branch of the family tree is rather boring in comparison.

      Delete
  8. I think most potential home buyers cannot see beyond what is right in front of them, so you are wise to have everything at its best. I had a friend who refused to buy a house because one of the rooms was orange and she could not understand how cheap it is to paint and change the entire look of a room. Her loss because the house was a steal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that something? If she really liked the property she could have made the repainting a condition of the sale or done it herself.

      Delete
  9. Boy you're getting hit with the heat!!
    Good job on the stump, J! They aren't easy to get rid of.
    Your place will sell quick, I'm sure. Hope you get some of our rain. We've had enough!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like we may get some rain over the next few days. I sure hope so, as I can only imagine how high my water bill is going to be with this hot dry weather and new sod.
      I do hope you're right Patsy, and it sells quickly.

      Delete
  10. It's great to have friends who will come over and help with this kind of work. They are the real friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm am blessed David. They are wonderful friends and work for free...and a few tomatoes. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!