Saturday 26 August 2023

Still waiting

Last Sunday, I took a drive out to my brother's acreage to drop off some camping gear. It's been in my car's trunk since early July! I stopped for a tea on the verandah and a visit. The little gnome from Wednesday was a gift they picked up for me on their trip to Iceland. R said he picked this one because of its knitted cap. Isn't he adorable? Iceland is on my bucket list and someday I'll get there...maybe I'll remember to tuck this little guy in my bag so he can visit too.

Monday was fairly quiet though I did have the appliance repair tech out to fix the refridgerator. It had begun leaking water into the bottom mount freezer and making some strange noises. With my recent string of bad luck, I was afraid I'd be buying a new fridge, but thankfully, it turned out to be an easy fix. The drain line had gotten plugged and frozen up. I'm not sure how that leads to water getting into the freezer but it did, and once the line was cleaned out and thawed out as well as the interior of the freezer, all is good. He used a small steamer, so everything was dealt with quickly, and the frozen food stayed frozen. It wasn't terribly expensive, but I did chuckle because the majority of the expense related to the service call. I would likely call around for a better price, if it were to happen again. I just remembered my brother had this same company out to fix the fridge at his son's home not long ago.

Tuesday, things were a little more exciting. I ran out to do some errands and when I got home there was a text from the realtor. The home inspection would not get done in time to meet Wednesday's deadline. However, the buyer's property is finally on the market (I think it is over-priced), and it seemed financing was not going to be an issue. I told the realtor, I was prepared to grant a short extension...perhaps the other realtor ought not to have gone camping this past weekend, and ensured their ducks were in a row. 

There were several text messages between the two realtors, one of which read: "to be honest for doing the home inspection as a formality we know that house is you see what you get so we're just really working on the other things but we will get you the extension and a couple hours I'm just driving right now." My realtor and I had a bit of a chuckle, over the lack of punctuation. This was in response to his text: "What's up? Seller is getting upset with the situation and lack of communication. She's considering not granting an extension at this point." 

Well, they did eventually get the paperwork to me, I signed it, and now we wait until Monday. The inspection was scheduled for Friday from 9-12. I am not looking forward to being out of the house that long with the cat, but at least the weather will be on the cooler side so I won't need to be running the a/c in the car. 

I got some housework done, and then pacing the floor decided to run out and drop the recycling off before hitting up Value Village to see what bargains I could find. I found a rubbermaid tote like the ones I use for cat litter, three pretty t-shirts, and a set of two shelves and brackets. All for $17 - I did well. 

My son made the call to a mortgage broker and made plans discuss the application with him on Wednesday as well. He attempted to complete the form on his phone but ran into issues, so we sat together after dinner and got it done. 

It rained on Tuesday morning, and I woke to more rain on Wednesday as well. It's nice to see, as I won't need to water the containers or the new lawn. But, the lawn certainly needed mowing when the sun returned.

I spent Thursday cleaning and tidying the house, and doing a bit of yard-work. It wasn't really necessary for the inspector, but I do know that the buyers will be here for a conversation with him so wanted the house to look good. Then, I got a text from the realtor - another realtor had been hounding him to let her clients see the house, and "may be willing to put in a back-up offer". I agreed to a showing at 5:30 p.m. They arrived late and were in and out in less than 25 minutes so I anticipate there will be no back-up offer. 

The house inspection was carried out on Friday morning. I left the house shortly before 9 a.m. and was able to return at 12:30. My son, C, has been having some second thoughts about the property that we viewed so we had made arrangements to see two additional properties on Saturday. However, I've had to reschedule, as our cousin Morley passed away this week and my brother and I are driving out to the funeral in a small town about 90 minutes away. 

Before I head out, I need to water the containers and do some deadheading. It's a bit cool out there at the moment, just 10C (50F), but we're expecting a high of 27C (81F) later in the day. I realized this morning, that it is nearly the end of August and we've yet to have an overnight frost. That's pretty unusual for us. Though we may not get a killing frost, we almost always have a chilly night or two. 

Since I've no photos from this week to share, I'll add this one that showed up in my memories from 5 years ago. He was character then, and still is!

Have a great week ahead everyone!



12 comments:

  1. Good luck. Keeping good thoughts for you and a quick sale. Sorry for your families loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences on your cousin's passing.

    Good luck getting everything settled with your house sale. I also hope your son finds the right home soon! 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. C is going to have to make a decision pretty quickly. He doesn't see the urgency, but I do.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your cousin. Good that you are able to attend the funeral. House stuff seems like a hurry up and wait business:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. It was good to see that branch of the family.
      This house selling process has certainly been a test of my patience (or lack thereof).

      Delete
  4. Sorry for your loss. C needs to be sure, having second thoughts is not often a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy. Unfortunately, he's going to have to make a quick decision as the properties are selling quickly here and he might miss out if he doesn't.

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your cousin... I hope that C finds something that he just loves. Second thoughts are usually because something is niggling his subconscious.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I know what the issue is, and I agree with him. Hopefully this one of these next few properties will be the one. :)

      Delete
  6. Geez, another loss. I hope Morley had a long and full life, though that doesn't make the passing any easier, really. As for the house selling, I get the feeling that it must have been so much easier in the past; but then, most things were. Let's hope this becomes simpler and faster, at least in your case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, Morley did have a full life - he was 87 years old, was father to seven children, grandfather to at least 10, and great-grandfather to a half dozen. He had farmed with his brothers for many years, and in the last 20 years with his sons. The hall was full with family and friends, and it was a lovely service.
      More news to come today on the house sale.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!