Saturday 7 October 2023

Making a list (or two)

We've had a busy week! Monday was inspection day at my son's new house. There were a few minor issues that we hadn't already noticed, and one potentially major problem that we could not have seen. Some of the simple things were a extension on a downspout that needs to be re-attached, smoke detectors that need to be replaced, and a dry sump hole. The latter is actually a good thing in my mind, but the inspector seems to think it means the weeping tile outside has failed. As long as we keep the water away from the house, we should be fine. I would note that the sump hole in my current property has been dry for the last 13 years (that I know of).

The more potentially dangerous issue is due to the use of aluminum and copper wire through the electrical system. The inspector advised that there was a 40/60 split of the use to the breaker box. When these metals are mixed, there can be arching resulting in a fire. The fix is to have an audit performed, testing each plug/switch in the house, and adding some sort of goop (his word) to the ends of the wires. Not fixing it could result in insurance companies refusing to insure the property. Our realtor contacted theirs when we left the house, and discovered the sellers had the necessary work done in 2019. Interesting that it was only recently identified as an issue - the house was built in 1971, and they purchased it in 2005. 

So Tuesday was the big day, as the conditions were lifted and the house is officially C's as of November 6. He seems a little less excited than I am. But I think he's feeling a little overwhelmed. He was reading the inspection report - things like anode rods (water heater), a/c coil and furnace/duct cleaning made his eyes glaze over. I think he's recognizing too that yard work is going to be part of his routine as well. I'll help of course, but I don't always plan to be there. 

In fact, I've booked a bus trip to Minot in late November. The price for three nights of hotel, breakfast, and transportation was very good. I haven't really started my Christmas shopping - I've got Eli's gift - so I'll try to get some done there. A stay over 48 hours allows me to bring back up to $800 duty free and I can't imagine I'll come anywhere close to the amount. The fact they have shuttles to Joanne's and Hobby Lobby were definitely tempting. Do you suppose I'll come back with more yarn? I have to remember this is meant for Christmas gifts. It's also an opportunity to meet others on the trip and I'm sure I won't be the only solo on the bus.

I also made calls to several moving companies, as my first choice has no availablility for the date we're planning to move. I spoke to two representatives of companies that operate across various provinces, including here in Regina. Wow, have prices increased since my last move. I'd hoped that one of the local companies will provide a better rate. In addition, I'd sent requests to a couple of cleaning companies, as I'd like to have a move-out cleaning done that I don't have to do myself. We'll move on the Monday, but the new owner won't have possession until the Wednesday, so I will have time to clean myself, if need be.

Wednesday was also Stitch and Chat, four of us in attendance, as S is away visiting family in Victoria. We had another woman pop in, wondering if any one of us knew anything about hooker rugs. I said, rug hooking? and she said, no it's another form of making rugs that uses material rather than strips of yarn. None of us have ever heard of it, but we asked her to come by with her project to share it with us. It would be nice if she does, as our group will soon be even smaller as two of the members will be heading south in about 3 weeks time.

I did get some more packing completed this week, including the rest of the basement craft room. All that is left downstairs is to pack up the laundry room, and for my son to pack his clothing and personal items. There is lots of time to get the main floor packed, though I have gone through drawers and other storage items to sort and pack some items. I've found more things for donation. I'd packed up a box of books and that silly cat of mine got hold of an edge of tape and pulled it off. We've always said he's the "eat the paste" cat and it is true.

Friday, I was feeling frustrated by the lack of response from the movers and cleaning companies, so I made the decision to stay on the phone until I reached a real person. The first moving company didn't answer, but the second one did. It is a local company, with availability on the date I want to move. Their price seemed a bit high but there are no hidden fees - it's an all-in price. To save the movers time (and thus me money as they charge by the hour), we'll move all of the boxes to the garage. They'll only need to enter the house to move the furniture pieces, none of which are particularly heavy. On the other end, we'll do the same with boxes to the garage and furniture into the house.

After that, I phoned a cleaning company and they answered almost immediately. They, too, had the availability I needed and the price is about what I had anticipated. So that is booked too! 

Now I get to move on to the more mundane tasks, cancelling my cable and house insurance, setting up a mail forwarding, and changing my address with a myriad of businesses and governmental departments/agencies. That's where the lists come in. I'm sure I'll forget something - but hopefully not something that is very important!


This weekend I'm going to be cleaning up the yard. We had frost overnight into Friday, and the first of the annuals, the impatience gave up the ghost. Poor sad thing, it did so well this year. While there may not be frost for the rest of the week, the window of decent is closing quickly so I can't procrastinate any longer. Of course, I'll have to fit it in between baseball (sad that my Blue Jays are done for the year), football, and curling. :)

I'll leave you with a photo my daughter sent of Eli. She remembered to get his hair cut before school pictures this year, and this was a photo she took before he went to school that day. I do hope he behaved during his school photo!

Have a great week ahead everyone!







18 comments:

  1. sounds like things are progressing just fine. It will be move in day before you know it.
    Eli is getting so grown up looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hiccups yet, now that we have the movers and cleaners booked. I'll keep packing and my son has a few phone calls to make this week to arrange for insurance and utilities. We'll get there.
      Eli is certainly growing up, not out. He's a head taller than many of his classmates but is a skinny little guy. He's a good eater, most of the time, but I think he wears it off with all his energy.

      Delete
  2. I would get a copy of that work being done on electrical (surely they kept it for their records), just in case issues are raised. It is concerning that the inspector didn't notice the work had been done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle,
      We do have a copy of a letter from the electrician who did the work. I'm a little surprised he couldn't find the receipt in his records, but this should suffice for insurance purposes. The inspector did not pull any of the outlets or switches so he didn't check what was happening behind the walls. He identified that 40% was aluminum to the breaker box, but I don't think the breakers were marked so he wouldn't have known which switches or outlets to check.

      Delete
  3. You’ll be moved before you know it. The cleaning company was a great idea. So much easier to move when you have that great help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If things keep going as they are, the next few four weeks will fly by. I'll be happy to have it all done.
      Having the cleaners wil mean less work for me, as I suspect there will be cleaning needed at the new place. Not everyone does a move-out clean. They're coming in the day after the move, and that will give me a chance to ensure nothing has been left behind and have any garbage removed. The new owner takes possession the following day. It all worked out, better than I thought it might.

      Delete
  4. Nice photo fo Eli! Make a list and check it many times...I found a notebook with pockets useful when we moved:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I swear I need to keep a notebook by the bed, as a lot of my list making happens as I'm trying to fall asleep. :)

      Delete
  5. You sound very busy, but organized which is always helpful. Owning a house is a big responsibility. Hope he doesn't regret it vs renting an apartment or condo.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped he would settle for a condo, but he was adamant about a house after discussing it with his boss. (I know his boss well, and I could have strangled him). But I've not doubt C will learn over time, just as I did.

      Delete
  6. I really don't understand the failure to return calls either. Some sites indicate it could be 24-48 hours but at least two of the places I called early last week have still not bothered to get in touch. You can bet they are on my own do not call list.
    In some ways, I've probably made it too easy for my kids. D has been in her house for five years now, and is learning still. C will too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post today, lots taken care of.
    We also had some percentage of aluminum wiring in our 1970's home when we sold in 2016. Bill had gone through all the outlets and receptacles when we remodeled and did that pigtail to copper and paste thing, so yes, it's a pain but not the worst thing. My sister and her husband have it in their newly purchased home too and are fretting. No disclosure from their realtor.
    Anyway, C will be happy to have you aside for the stuff he doesn't fully understand. Eli is so grown up looking in his hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it isn't an unusual situation especially when purchasing houses of a certain era. You're fortunate to have such a handy husband.
      C will learn, as did I. Though my response is often to call in someone and I suspect he may do the same. :p
      These grandkids sure have a bad habit of growing up, don't they?

      Delete
  8. I hope you are able to hire a good, honest mover. That whole industry seems to be plagued with crooks and unscrupulous operators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The company has been in business for many years, so I feel pretty confident will go well. I've gone with a local mover, rather than a national one for that reason, as I'm aware there are some unscrupulous firms out there.

      Delete
  9. That little Eli is not so little anymore. What a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga, I happen to think the same. :)

      Delete
  10. OH GOSH! I haven't been here for a while and I didn't know the house was sold!!! And that moving is imminent! I am so happy for you and your son as well. This is terrific. What doers Saku think of the changes? I know someone here who would not like it a bit. Concatulations to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!