Saturday 16 December 2023

A good week: Friends, fun, and final preparations

It truly is looking as if we'll be having a brown Christmas this year. This week's weather has been well above normal temperatures for this time of the year, and what little snow fell a week ago is pretty much gone. We might see a few flurries but no major accumulation is expected before Christmas. I'll take it, as I'm driving out to my daughter's next weekend and would prefer to have clear highways for the drive, and temperatures warm enough that the car doesn't need to be plugged in overnight. 

My preparations for Christmas are so close to complete, I can see the finish line. Baking is complete: this week I made another batch of sugar and spice cookies, a pan of white chocolate peppermint blondies, and the last batch of shortbread. The containers to give away were full and tucked away in the freezer. I picked up the gift cards for my niece and nephew, finished their tree ornaments and tucked them in gift bags. I'm still working on the ornaments for my brother and SIL.

No stitch and chat this week, as my friend K was available for a visit. She's a busy gal, so I appreciated her taking the time to come by the house. She is the recipient of the penguin and went home with it, a container of baking, and a book to read and pass on. We worked together for many years, have travelled together, and always have lots to talk about! In fact, there was some discussion of a trip in 2025. We do like to start the planning early.

On Thursday, I spent the morning doing laundry and some housecleaning, before heading to the community center for Mahjong. I've been playing the free on-line games, four a day, for the last week and I actually won a game that morning! I got lucky and had a good hand to start out with - that doesn't happen often, and I've learned that one must switch strategy and I really, really to learn to recognize the tiles better than I do. Too often, I end up with a dead hand - basically a hand that doesn't conform to the hands that are allowed.

I did win a hand that afternoon too, but with much help from A. She was playing too but would scoot over to add words of wisdom. Occasionally she discarded a tile from her board knowing I needed it. I appreciated the hand out. :) Next week I'm going to go it alone, but with the caveat that I can ask for help if I feel I need it. A told us today she has been playing since 1994 another woman, B started in 2001. I'm definitely learning from some experienced players.

D received the diagnosis for Eli that afternoon, and it is confirmed our boy is autistic (in addition to his previous diagnosis of ADHD). He has lower support needs in many areas, but will require assistance in certain aspects. The diagnosis provides opportunities for additional funding for therapies or certain equipment that will be helpful in teaching Eli coping skills or other ways to learn as he goes through school. I have no doubt that with the needed supports, he'll be successful as he's a pretty smart kid and is, even at this young age, unafraid to advocate for himself.

She took him to see Santa a week or so ago. He told his mom that this wasn't the real Santa, because the real one is too busy, this guy is just a helper.

Friday was a quiet day though I did run out for a few groceries.  The latest Grand Slam of curling event is being televised, but only the last two days of the regular draws, and then the playoffs. It's a bit disappointing as too often it's pretty clear who will make it into the playoffs by the final draws. However, I won't complain too loudly - at least I have curling to watch and they won't listen to me anyway.

Today means more curling, some reading, and maybe some crocheting. I've lost my crocheting energy, even though I'm so close to finishing the last two small projects. It's taken a bit of toll on my wrists and hands so I've been taking some time off to rest. I do have a couple of days next week to get at 'er.  My brother will likely be over for a visit next week for our Christmas exchange. 

Have a wonderful week ahead everyone! 

22 comments:

  1. There are supports in place for children these days which is wonderful. We’ve come a long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have definitely come a long way. When my daughter was young, I saw the child psychologist a few times about my concerns and was always told it was my lack of parenting skills. Now we know better.

      Delete
  2. Since we do a big-ish Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving, Christmas is just Carlos and me and the cats so it's quite quiet and peaceful leading into what one hopes will be a good, happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a small family with my two kids and one grandson. My brother who lives nearby spends Christmas. My brother spends Christmas with his family and at least one of his wife's siblings and her son.
      Yes, let's all hope that 2024 will be a good year...in more ways than one.

      Delete
  3. So many things to help kiddos today. Eli will do great, especially with such a supportive family. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He truly is fortunate that his mom is his biggest advocate. Too, they are in a good place as the principal and other school staff have been very helpful and supportive.

      Delete
  4. I have a grandson with Aspbergers and he does great, Social Skills and making new friends is hard for him. Hopefully Eli will do well too, the extra help will benefit him! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas, Connie to you and your entire family.
      Eli will have his challenges but he's definitely capable of learning.

      Delete
  5. While the diagnosis for Eli was what was suspected, it is good that the outlook for his support is optimistic. And what he said about the Santa Claus he met is what I've always theorised, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's figured Santa out far earlier than I did. :)
      I do worry a little about what his life will be like later in life, but my concerns are somewhat alleviated by the strides he's made already.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry Eileen. He is extrememly well functioning from all you have written. He will be a great student and probably in the top of his class.

      Delete
  6. Cute pix of Eli with Santa's 'helper', smart lad. He'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! I look at the photo and remember back to his first photo with the Grinch (Santa was off that day) and I wonder where the time has gone.

      Delete
  7. It's great that Eli has an official diagnosis and will qualify for additional supports. From what you've posted, he seems to be high functioning, and I, too, have no doubt he'll succeed at whatever he puts his mind to as he gets older.

    Enjoy the rest of your preparations and safe travels next weekend. I'm travelling too, so hope our weather holds too.

    Have a wonderful holiday with your family! Merry Christmas! 🎄🎅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. Safe travels to you and have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. I am so glad that Eli has a diagnosis now. I hope he manages to get the extra help and supports that he needs. Such a cute picture of him with Santa.

    I am also glad that the weather looks good for the next week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie.
      I keep checking the forecast because it's always possible to change, but so far, so good. Wishing Kurt and Kris safe travels!

      Delete
  9. Now that Eli has a diagnosis and the supports will be put in place you should see a difference in lots of areas. I worked the last 10 years of my career with autistic kids and it's very evident that there isn't a 'one size fits all' when it comes to learning styles. Given the right supports he should do fine as from everything you have written about him over the last few y ears tells me he's definitely high functioning and just needs help making good choices and focusing. Good luck!! Love the picture of him with Santa's helper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. It's good to hear these words from someone with experience working with autistic children. As grandma, I wish this wasn't an issue for him, but I'm grateful for those who are guiding and helping him learn to manage in this world.
      That photo makes me chuckle, his legs are so long!

      Delete
  10. So many of the greatest minds today are on the spectrum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I suppose it's partially due to the need to learn differently than neuro-typical people and thus are able to think outside the box, so to speak.

      Delete
  11. My grandson is also on the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!