Saturday 9 December 2023

Checking my list

The tree was decorated and gifts wrapped/bagged early one morning last weekend. My son likes to sleep in (I think I've mentioned that a time or two), so I puttered around downstairs doing things I figured wouldn't disrupt his rest. This year, with a good portion of the tree back against the wall, I only decorated three sides - takes less time! I couldn't find my hangers for those ornaments without strings, so a number of the ornaments are merely "stuffed" into the branches. The box with the hangers are in a tub in the garage and I'm too lazy to go looking for them. Since Saku rarely bothers the tree and the ornaments are the unbreakable kind, I'm not worried about losing any.

I haven't yet picked up the gift cards for DeNiece and DeNephew, but the card boxes are tucked under the tree. I'd best not forget! Bags are my friend and I re-use several of them each year by either using it for the same person, or removing the sticker and adding a new one. 

This week I got more Christmas baking done, and there is a full container for my friends K&J in the freezer and a partially filled one for my brother R and his family. I need to bake the third batch of shortbread and a second batch of sugar and spice cookies for their tin, along with one more Christmas'y cake or cookie. I like bars because they take less time and effort, but cookies are always good too.

I did my weekly grocery shop on Wednesday morning. I have really got to get back to every 10 days as I spend less, but there were a few sale items I wanted to pick up for Christmas. That afternoon, I went to stitch and chat, visiting with S as no one else made it this week. We did have company though, as a young man sat in the room with his laptop and ear buds. 

Thursday was my first foray into the world of Mahjongg at the nearby community center. There is a fairly large group of women who play, but this day there were only six including me. They play four people to a hand, and one woman is an instructor of sorts. She plays when there is a seat as they rotate, but seemed to generally be helping others. After I watched a game, she took me to a separate table and explained some of the need to know terminology, as well as the rules of the game. But not all of the rules, because there are far too many to learn at once. When the second hand was complete, she sat with me and I played my first hand with lots of assistance. We played two more hands, and surprisingly I won the second hand I played. Did she ask the others to throw it to me? I don't think so but I'm sure it was her instructions that made the difference. Anyway it was fun (and challenging) and I'll be going back next week. 

At home, I've been working on several projects: crocheted ornaments, a knitted elf hat, and a cross stitch stocking pattern. I couldn't locate my safety eyes in my craft boxes in the garage so had to wait until a new set arrived from Amazon. I don't know why our local Michaels doesn't carry them, even on-line. I finished up on of the Christmas tree ornaments and I'm not entirely happy with it. The elf hat is partially finished, I have a lot of ends to sew in and a pom pom to make to complete it.

I spent most of the day on Friday doing housework, baking buns, watching curling and knitting. The biggest chore was vacuuming the basement and cleaning up the equipment area. We had the water softener removed this week and the area where it sat was filthy with dust and salt. I should have washed the floor but as I finishing I heard a couple of large trucks out front. There was a letter in the mailbox the other day from a pumping company, notifying us they would be cleaning out the sewer lines this week. I scrambled around the house closing sink drains, wrapping the toilet bowls in old towels, closing shower stall doors, and covering the main drain in the basement. According to the letter, the force of the water could come up in the house but thankfully that did not happen. I did, however, listen to the roar of the equipment for almost two hours. 

Today will be a mostly quiet day. There's more curling, more crafts, a jigsaw to work on, and maybe a run out to the hair salon to get my mop cut. 

I'll leave you with a photo of a hare I spotted across the road a few days ago. I'm glad to see we have some wildlife in the area, though hope it stays on this side as we're not far off the highway.

Have a great week ahead, everyone!




22 comments:

  1. Luckily we've never had a cat that bothered the tree, although they are all intrigued by it; they've all liked sleeping under it.
    Sadly, our tree backs up to a window so it is fully ornamented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but your neighbours get to enjoy the tree too. I always enjoy seeing Christmas trees in the windows.

      Delete
  2. I used to decorate trees that way when they back to a wall. Sounds like a fun week.
    Is the picture at the top of the blog your new house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is of the sunrise over the condos across the street from the house. We face east, which is lovely. I'm looking forward to next spring when I can have coffee on the front deck area in the early morning.

      Delete
  3. When put the big tree upstairs I always put the unbreakable ornaments where Shania could bat them off with her tail. Not so sure if Kris's cat Eiko would leave the tree alone.

    What a cute tree.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you'll find out when Eiko is home at Christmas. Hopefully she/he leaves it alone.
      Thanks, I'm not happy with the way the ruffles on the branches connected so may try something else with the second one.

      Delete
  4. You've had another eventful week! My trees here have always been in a corner, so decorated only where visible, for the most part. I like your crocheted tree, btw!

    Good luck with remaining holiday prep and have a great weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, it's not perfect but hopefully the kid who gets this one will like it.

      Delete
  5. You have been busy, sounds like you are ready for Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost there, I'll pick up the gift cards this week and finish off the rest of the ornaments too.

      Delete
  6. Lots of baking. I like the Christmas tree ornament you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was working, I used to start baking towards the beginning of November. I'd make at least 10 dozen goodies just for the office, and more for family and friends as well as for Christmas at home. I rarely bake any other time of the year, so I enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. You have a good handle on Christmas readiness. Well done. You’ve had a busy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. Yes, it has been busy and I suspect things won't slow down until the New Year. Then it will get cold and I'll become a hermit.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you are well prepared for Christmas. Soon it will all be but a memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the preparations last much longer than the actual event.

      Delete
  9. Whenever I think of mahjongg, I think of the 1920s: the game was a craze for several years, in both North America and Britain. I'm rather glad it's still going, and that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it played on cruise ships and at the library where I attend stitch and chat, but never considered learning to play. This seems like a good way to meet others in the neighbourhood and should be good for my brain too.

      Delete
  10. You know, I took a leaf from your book and bagged it ALL this time. Wait. three things were wrapped with paper. I must have forgotten all the bag I had. I am planning to save as many s possible this year too. I use tissue paper to top off the innards where the gift is. I wish I was a friend or a neighbor and could get in on those cookies you mentioned. UM UM GOOD! I will make come chocolate chip only this year.I will try to get my son to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's either bag or buy boxes so I can wrap the darned boxes. Bags it is!
      Thanks, you'd be welcome to share in some of those cookies too. :)

      Delete
  11. I knew a male colleague who played it. I was like...what??? He tried and failed to show me the ropes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing my homework: playing four on-line games on a site. I've learned lots, but mostly that I haven't much of clue of what I'm doing. At least now, maybe in the future it will make more sense.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!