Saturday 23 December 2023

Here comes Santa Claus!

First off, thanks for the lovely comments on the finally completed Christmas ornaments for my brother and SIL. I started with the reindeer for R, because this is a deer he can't shoot. :p  I was stymied a bit thinking of what to make for P, but Pinterest for the win! These were so easy to make, and I already had the small bells to add (these are tied to the cord from the start of the bell). In addition, these were very simple to make quickly. I've already told D, these are what I will make for Eli's teachers and aides next year.

If you recall, this year I made the small cocoa cups. D gave them each a container of her baking, as well as pot holders. She used her Cricut Joy to add a saying to them. Most were as pictured, but she did special ones for the principal and his primary teacher. 

Isn't it adorable? She said she underestimated how much time it would take to complete these so if she does something similar next year, she'll start the process earlier.

Here's a funny story (and totally unrelated) for you. On Monday, I puttered around the house, not doing a very much as it was my son's earned day off. I finished the ornaments, watched some television, worked on a jigsaw puzzle, and read. About 4 p.m. the front door opened, and in walked C. To say the least I was surprised, and asked where he'd been? He said work, didn't you notice my car was gone? No, no I hadn't, even though I had been outside a couple of times to take garbage out and to grab the mail. We both got a laugh out of me trying to be quiet when he wasn't even here. In case you are wondering, I tend to keep it quiet until lunchtime, so I was a little annoyed thinking he could possibly still be sleeping!!

I made the mistake of going to Costco on Tuesday assuming, wrongly, that it would be quiet at noon on a weekday. The place was packed with people picking up groceries and last minute gift shopping. All I went for was AAA batteries, but ended up picking up a few groceries myself. Is that store ever not busy? 

Wednesday was our last Stitch and Chat for 2023. I wore my Christmas naughty or nice socks and my new elf hat. It's a snug fit, so I may end up giving it to Eli.

In addition, I took a small plate of the Peppermint and white chocolate blondies. The scale has told me that I've been eating far too much of it. :)

There were 4 of us there; Io, S, M, and myself. M has recently joined the group. She's very friendly and loves to knit. Although I'm not certain I'll be back in time, we did decide we'd meet next week, if enough people were available. Io isn't sure she will be as she doesn't know how long her family will be here for Christmas. I suspect Sheila will be the one to text the rest of us.

The Mahjong group met on Thursday as well. I'm not getting any better at this game - it seems there is always another rule I don't know. There will be a new card coming out for 2024 too with more hands to learn. Thankfully the group is willing to put up with a newbie. I played about 90 minutes and by then my brain hurt so I left a bit early. However, I do enjoy the game, and the company so I'll be back after New Years.

On Friday, I was busy preparing for my trip to my daughter's. Her friend M, had dropped off two large bags of clothing that her youngest son had grown out of. I also had some grocery items I'd picked up in the States and here over the past few weeks. Since I'm planning to be there for about 5 days, I packed a bag of clothing, personal items, phone charger, a bag of projects (knitting and crocheting), the book I need to read for book club, my camera, and of course, the gifts. Whatever wouldn't freeze overnight, or I didn't need immediately, was packed into the car. 

My brother dropped by for a short visit and to exchange Christmas gifts. I realized, after he left, I'd forgotten a gift under the tree AND the tin of baking in the freezer. I knew he'd be in the city for a few hours yet so sent a text suggesting he could swing by and pick them up, or I'd meet him somewhere to drop it off. I'm pretty sure it was the baking that made him respond quickly. :) He returned an hour or so later, and we chatted for a few minutes before he headed out again. I think he called less than 10 minutes later to tell me he was eating the cookies already! I hope he left some for his family.

I plan on getting away from the city by about 8:30 this morning. It will be light enough but ahead of the sunrise, as I'm driving directly east for the first 15-20 minutes and I hate driving into the sun. Once I get to the secondary highway, I'll change direction. It took about 90 minutes from door to door from the old house. I suspect it will be a little longer from our new place. There will likely be a post on Tuesday, with photos of all the fun to that point.

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy your day however you choose to spend it.





16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good week. Too funny about being quiet when he wasn't even there!
    Great picture - love seeing a pic of you.
    Have a wonderful visit and a safe trip to and fro. Merry Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I'm not a big fan of selfies, but this was okay.

      Delete
  2. Your elf hat is really cute. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got all things done on time too!!
    Merry Christmas Santa Maebeme and have a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to have everything accomplished. It's definitely been fun.

      Delete
  5. Happy Christmas! Travel safely and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful Christmas. I love the elf hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could have been making noise and acting as usual, for all the good keeping quite did! That would have been annoying. What was your son doing at work on his day off, anyway? I don't think I'd like learning mahjong; I enjoy games and even ones with plenty of rules, but if it takes longer to learn than to play, I tend not to find it very entertaining. I like the elf-hat - though it made me think of Waldo at Christmas-time...

    A very merry Christmas to you and your family; have a happy new year, too, while you're at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son gets a EDO every two weeks, and I forget which Monday is which. So it wasn't C going to work on his day off, it was mom's forgetfulness. I ought to have peeked into his room, when so much time had passed. But that's okay, I don't mind a quiet day.
      Thanks John!

      Delete
  8. Good Morning and MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'm like John, I would not have the patience you do, to learn Mahjong! I'd be kicking the entire thing out of the front door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! I'm not sure I have the patience either. But I'll keep trying for a while yet - for me, it's more about meeting the people that play.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!