Saturday 3 February 2024

Wacky weather, carbohydrates, and something odd

Wednesday's photo were taken over the course of three days, Sunday through Tuesday. Our temperatures were well above freezing; the high on Tuesday was 12C (54F), a record breaking temperature for January 30th. It cooled off from there but was still lovely the rest of the week. However, the forecast for Sunday suggests we may see some snow - not much I don't expect. 

As I was sitting down to start this post, I realized it was a carbohydrate heavy week. On the weekend I'd baked homemade buns and cinnamon buns for lunches and snacks. Then Monday I made slow cooker beef stew. We can't have stew without biscuits. And to top that off, on Tuesday I baked a loaf of Italian cheese and herb bread to go along with our spaghetti and meat sauce dinner. Friday night was homemade pizza night, meaning more dough was made. I've learned to make small batches, so there were just 15 buns, 9 cinnamon buns, a dozen biscuits and one loaf of the Italian bread. There is one of each of the buns and the cinnamon buns, the heel of the loaf, and less than half of the pizza leftover. We do enjoy our carbs. :)

The bread recipe I found was for use in a bread machine, which I don't own. I modified it, using about four cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of warm water, yeast, oil, sugar and salt for the dough. In addition, I added about 1/4 cup each of grated parmesan cheese and shredded Italian cheese and a teaspoon of an Italian spice blend. After allow it to rise for 90 minutes, I shaped it into a loaf, then let it sit for 45-60 minutes before baking it for 35 minutes in a 350F oven. It was delicious and my son and I used it for sandwiches through the week as well. One evening he made himself a grilled cheese and meat sandwich, dipping it in egg. I was already in bed, and could smell it from downstairs, and oh my, it smelled delicious. 

I had errands to run on Wednesday, for my daughter and myself, before I headed over to Stitch and Chat. There were three of us there that afternoon, and I got a bit of work done on my cross-stitching while we visited. One of the ladies is knitting a kitchen towel, while the other was knitting a bag to hold a small teddy bear. She's been using her stash to create little bears to donate to the Children's Hospital here in the province and has made eight so far. The little bears are adorable and I'm sure they will brighten up the day for the little ones who are being cared for at the hospital. She's hoping to finish a few more before she sends them off.

Thursday was Mahjonng and I had a very lucky day. I won three games! Several games ended in draws and the others at the table won a few as well. There is definitely strategy to playing the game, but often it's truly the luck of the draw. I do enjoy the game and the company of this group is terrific. 

My something odd is the sheer number of views my blog has been receiving lately. There are over 200 views on most of the posts. When I checked the stats nearly 65% are from Singapore. Since I know of no followers nor do I receive comments from anyone there, I presume this is some sort of server that sends readers here. I'm not sure what the interest in this blog would be and I'll likely limit the amount of personal information and photos I share, just in case this is an effort for something nefarious. 

There has been lots of curling to watch this week as well, and will continue through the weekend. Between the USA national championships, both men and women, and our own provincial men's Tankard event, I've enjoyed a number of the games. Some were blow-outs and others came down to the last rock in the final end. Tomorrow's semis and finals will be the best games of the week, I'm sure.

Have a great week ahead everyone!

15 comments:

  1. It's carb weather!! LOL Sounds like a nice week.
    I have those views from Singapore too - not that high of a percentage, but they are there. Not sure what to make of that either. Maybe some router thing.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is carb weather for sure. Today's stats show that Singapore is way down and the USA is way up. Very strange whatever is happening.

      Delete
  2. exercising caution is wise. (I live with a cybersecurity officer). Maybe add "not a robot" checkmark requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle. The reCaptcha would work for comments but I don't think it would stop the views. I just find it odd that so many of the views come from that part of the world.

      Delete
  3. All the carbs sound delicious. Winter is the time to load up on them, I suspect it's instinct for many of us in cold climates.

    Definitely take care what you're posting online anywhere. That is rather weird.

    Have a terrific weekend and week ahead. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I do tend to watch what I post, even here. Once burned, twice shy and all that. But I may scrub the blog of the photos of Eli where his face is in the photo. Who knows what the interest might be and I'm cautious to not name undead people - except Eli.

      Delete
  4. Some years ago, I received hundreds of views for several of my posts. My usual number is pretty good, but these amounts were extraordinary. I forget now how I tracked it down - I think some comments were left - but it turned out to be a test of some sort that people were running on their internet reception; something like that. They even started using my profile picture. I contacted them, mentioned something about electronic theft and how useful the money would be that I'd win from a court case. They apologised and I haven't had such a problem again. I do think in my case, it was some automatic testing procedure. Some of my posts receive unusually high attention but it is almost always because of the content. I think there is a way to limit viewers to those whom you know, but that would cut off genuinely interested new viewers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was bold of them to use your profile picture! Makes me happy I don't use one.
      I could take the blog private but when I tried that with my first, now defunct blog, I lost the majority of my few followers. So I'll leave it be as I doubt I have anything much worthwhile stealing.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes you just need a period of heavy carbs. Left to my on devices it would be everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love my carbs too - we grew up on potatoes for dinner every night with bread or buns on the table too. Sandwiches for lunch and toast for breakfast. Honestly I would never be able to do a keto diet.

      Delete
  6. I made biscuits this week which is a rarity for us. I never make bread though I found a great recipe recently which I may try. Your bread sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made pizza last night when we got home from birding. If we are home all day we make pizza dough, but if it’s already late like yesterday we use naan bread. It’s not as good as dough but is quick and easy, and the toppings are the same of course. Works for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My blog stats have gone up ridiculously; I assume they're bots. But nice to feel the glow of popularity briefly!
    I love bread and our diet is carb-heavy too. I try for it not to be but I do love bread! And all yours sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comment Liz. Bots are such a nuisance, but I truly enjoy having real people who read, and particularly those who comment so I can't see myself going private.
    There's another loaf of the Italian cheese bread on the rise right now. We're having a pasta bake tonight and it will pair well with that. Talk about carbs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!