Saturday 19 October 2024

A new project, time with friends.

I'm interrupting the cruise posts for my regular weekly round-up of the week's activities. Things started out quietly and got busier throughout the week. Other than unpacking, doing laundry and a bit of housework, I did very little over the weekend and into Monday.

On Tuesday, I went out to the garage and tackled a project that I've been pondering for awhile. The former renter of the garage had built a partial wall and a work bench that made it difficult to get a second vehicle into the garage. When I was driving the Corolla, I could wiggle my way into the spot (using S turns), but with the Equinox it was going to be more difficult. So I had decided to remove part of the wall. I started by removing the plywood walls and the work bench. I should note the bench was over 4 feet tall, so useless for much more than storage.


The goal is to remove the open section to allow more room to maneuver the vehicle into place. Well, I discovered that this wall was built to last as the sill plate is anchored into the concrete. I've neither the tools nor the knowledge to overcome this problem so I turned to the internet. I've found a journeyman carpenter who has agreed to do the work for me later this month. In the meantime I have a pile of scrap lumber (not shown) to carry out of the garage. I also need to find someone to haul away the old garage door opener. There's always something that needs to be done.

Wednesday was a busy day, as I did a bit of grocery shopping in the morning, attended Stitch and Chat in the afternoon, and went to dinner with the book club ladies. There were three of us at the library, and next week there will just be two as C is heading for California at the end of the month and will be busy packing. Book club was fun, with six of us in attendance. I haven't met with the group in months, so there was lots of catching up to do. We even discussed the book, "The Nanny" by Gilly MacMillan. It was my choice, and it seemed every one who read it enjoyed the book. 

I took the day off on Thursday and caught up on various programs, NCIS, NCIS:Origins, and FBI. As well, curling and the MLB games kept me entertained. Saku was quite content to keep me pinned to the couch. :) I did stir long enough to make meals and do dishes.

Friday was a chilly morning, just -2C/28F when I took garbage out to the bin. Good thing I had no plans to work outside that morning. Instead, I did some housework and watching curling. That evening, I met my friends K and J for dinner before attending a comedy event at the Center of the Arts. Our tickets were free, provided by financial advisors we use. We took along a few items for the food bank donations as well. Our meals were good, but the service was incredibly slow and we had to go to the counter, as no one came to the table to take our payments. I'm not sure I'd return to that particular restaurant again. The comedians were funny, without straying into very many controversial subjects. The funniest moment (for me at least) was when Erica Sigurdson told the story of getting her husband to hang a medicine cabinet in their bathroom. After he'd delayed the project, she took matters into her own hands, texting him at work about how to do certain things (though she wasn't actually doing those things). He returned from work and got the job done. 

It was late when I arrived home and by the time I had settled down, it was nearly midnight. Saku woke me just after 6, but I managed to ignore him until my daughter called shortly after 7. Although I meant to get up after our call, I dozed off and slept until 10:30! So my day is a little off-kilter. I've just finished breakfast while watching curling. There is football and baseball later today as well. I guess you all know what I'll be doing today. :) Time to pull out the knitting needles and keep working on the mittens.

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you resume to normal activities. Sounds like a full-filled week. How fun on the comedy club. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we need sleep our body sees that we get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have tackled that wall on my own! You are braver than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a busy lady! I hope that all goes well with the rest of the work in the garage. It’s always a bit of a concern hiring contractors you don’t know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!