Wednesday 23 October 2024

San Diego Zoo - what an experience!

San Diego was our last port of call on the cruise, and I had booked an excursion to the San Diego Zoo weeks before we boarded the ship. I've been to just one other zoo, in Calgary, and that was many years ago. (my son was a pre-teen then and he turns 37 this upcoming Friday...)

As had been the journey from L.A. to San Diego, the morning was foggy.
My tour group met in the theatre about 8:15 and we were off the ship within 20 minutes or so, for our bus ride to the Zoo. Once there we had "5 hours on our own" to explore and enjoy the park. By then the fog had lifted and we were in for a warm and sunny day.

The park is humongous! I chose to take the bus tour around the perimeter of the park to get a sense of what I'd like to see most, as I knew I'd never see it all.

These first number of photos were taken from the upper deck of the bus. I was limited by where I was seated, often standing and trying to photograph around other passengers, so I apologize that some of the photos are not the best. 




This mallard was in the same cage as the polar bear. I hope it flew out before it became lunch. 





The lions were not disturbed at all by our presence. 



There were five or six giraffes in this habitat area. This particular giraffe was playing with the blue barrel. It would kick it and chase after the barrel to kick it again.

It was kind enough to pose for a photo.


There was a solo zebra at the zoo, so they had provided a donkey for a friend.

The bus stop was to the right of the main entrance, so once we returned, I started my walk to the left.


It was breakfast time for many of the animals. 

I found taking photos wasn't easy, not only were the animals not always cooperative but I was competing with other visitors. It was family day with free entry for children, so the place was a bit of a...zoo. :)



These are tapirs, enjoying their morning nap. 
I could just imagine this gorilla thinking, "Nope, not going to look at you."




It appeared this orangutan was done with being gawked at.

Meanwhile this youngster was having fun playing in a large leaf.



Of course, my favorites of all the animals were the big cats. 

The zoo had recently received two pandas from China, which were a very popular attraction. With the price of admission, one could book a timed ticket for entry to their exhibit. I selected a time in the early afternoon, and grabbed a bite to eat before I headed to the line-up. I was glad to have booked the timed ticket as the stand-by line was very lengthy.

Both of the pandas were mid-nap during my time in the exhibit. The female was sleeping high on the hill (thank goodness for the zoom), while the male was near the lower edge of the exhibit on a wooden platform behind the glass.

We were given about 10 minutes in the area, before the next group started to make their way through. I did see photos on the FB group from someone who were able to see the pandas feeding. I'm guessing they were there earlier in the morning.

By this point, it was about 45 minutes prior to the time to board the bus for our return to the ship. I made my way up to the top of the zoo - this place is very hilly! I stopped in at the children's shop and picked up a t-shirt for Eli. I was ready for a break, my feet were killing me, so I settled in the shade and relaxed. While I didn't see everything there was to see at the zoo, I really enjoyed my time there.

Back onboard the ship, I relaxed on the balcony before getting ready for the evening. I met the solo group for drinks and a number of us went to dinner that evening. As it turned out, it would be the last dinner in the MDR for me.


By the time we ready to start our sail-away, the fog was evident again. 

The large yacht at the pier next to us is apparently owned by Meta (or so I was told). I believe the coloured lights in the far right are part of the USS Midway aircraft carrier, currently a museum open for tours. Another time, perhaps.

Next up: More sea days and isolation

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the zoo, and yes it is quite large and quite a hike around.
    The big cats are also my favorites to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a zoo too, my favorites are the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat experience. Glad you got to go. I love zoos. We have a first class zoo here in my city, I need to go again sometime soon.
    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!